• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 rider schedules

A thread to bring together news and rumours about the planned race calendars and key targets for the 2021 road season and Olympics (all cycling disciplines) assuming for now that the vast majority of established races go ahead in their normal position in the year.

Due to the uncertainty this year riders are a lot later then in usual years to communicate their targets for the next year, which is understandable.

Ganna communicated today the first half of his race schedule:
Giro and Olympics are his big targets.

24-31 January: Vuelta a San Juan
10-16 March: Tirreno-Adriatico
20 March: Milan-Sanremo
11 April: Paris-Roubaix
19-23 April: Tour of the Alps
8-30 May: Giro d'Italia
23-27 June: European Track Championships
24 July: Olympic Games, road races
28 July: Olympic Games, time trial
2-8 August: Olympic Games, track competitions

He also said that he wants to help TGH at the giro, which would mean that TGH will target the giro another time next year.

Reactions: Ktarie
Due to the uncertainty this year riders are a lot later then in usual years to communicate their targets for the next year, which is understandable.

Ganna communicated today the first half of his race schedule:
Giro and Olympics are his big targets.

24-31 January: Vuelta a San Juan
10-16 March: Tirreno-Adriatico
20 March: Milan-Sanremo
11 April: Paris-Roubaix
19-23 April: Tour of the Alps
8-30 May: Giro d'Italia
23-27 June: European Track Championships
24 July: Olympic Games, road races
28 July: Olympic Games, time trial
2-8 August: Olympic Games, track competitions

He also said that he wants to help TGH at the giro, which would mean that TGH will target the giro another time next year.
Hard to imagine European riders/teams going to San Juan so that might change. Most looking forward to see what he can accomplish in Paris-Roubaix. He certainly has the body for it.

If Ineos already know that they will send Hart as the leader to the Giro I'd suppose that's because he's British? Because I don't rate him that high among all those that Ineos have. But maybe I'm still underestimating him.

Anyway, Ganna vs. Evenepoel now sounds like a nice duel.

If Ineos already know that they will send Hart as the leader to the Giro I'd suppose that's because he's British? Because I don't rate him that high among all those that Ineos have. But maybe I'm still underestimating him.

Yeah, I also wouldn´t set in stone his statement about TGH. The source in this article is also the Gazzetta dello Sport, which in my eyes is always somewhat optimistic about the Giro.
I remember last year, the Gazzetta reported in this time of the year, that Dumoulin, Bernal and Pogacar would ride the giro and in the end nobody did.. ;)

Reactions: postmanhat

Surely they will send him and some others out of Carapaz, Thomas, Yates, Bernal, Sivakov and Porte.

They will go in and see how it goes. Anyone can have a bad race, race, get sick and so on. It is good to have options. Thats how he ended up winning this year.

It sounds like Movistar's plans for GT's are:
Giro - Soler
Tour - Mas and Lopez
Vuelta - Valverde

I'm fairly sure you can be assured that either Soler or Mas or both will also be going to la Vuelta. With Soler going to the Giro and not Tour it's very likely he has a good chance to make the Spanish Olympic team as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Ineos already know that they will send Hart as the leader to the Giro I'd suppose that's because he's British? Because I don't rate him that high among all those that Ineos have.
He'll be a defending champion. That alone traditionally has been a big deal in cycling (number 1 given by race organisers etc.). Was there any GT winner in recent years that wasn't nominated as a leader for any GT in a season following his GT win? I can't recall such instances.

He'll be a defending champion. That alone traditionally has been a big deal in cycling (number 1 given by race organisers etc.). Was there any GT winner in recent years that wasn't nominated as a leader for any GT in a season following his GT win? I can't recall such instances.

There might have been cases - last year's TdF? - when a team knows that the defending rider of a race if probably not going to be the actual leader, but he'll still get the number one anyway. Obviously, if a rider doesn't even ride, then it's a different matter.

It sounds like Movistar's plans for GT's are:
Giro - Soler
Tour - Mas and Lopez
Vuelta - Valverde

I'm fairly sure you can be assured that either Soler or Mas or both will also be going to la Vuelta. With Soler going to the Giro and not Tour it's very likely he has a good chance to make the Spanish Olympic team as well.

I would have thought Movistar would have gone to the Vuelta with one eye on the GC? Unless one of Soler, Mas and Lopez decide to double up and go for it.

I would have thought Movistar would have gone to the Vuelta with one eye on the GC? Unless one of Soler, Mas and Lopez decide to double up and go for it.

My guess is Soler and Mas go to la Vuelta with Valverde. I think for Soler it should be Giro, Olympics, Vuelta. However, I think Soler is more a stage hunter than a GC rider. So in that case I'm guessing they are hoping Mas can manage another Tour/Vuelta double. Still not sure what they are planning with Lopez because the article made it sound like Lopez is plan B at the Tour. My guess is they are only listing Valverde for la Vuelta because they want to ensure the Spanish fans he'll be there one more time.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
My guess is Soler and Mas go to la Vuelta with Valverde. I think for Soler it should be Giro, Olympics, Vuelta. However, I think Soler is more a stage hunter than a GC rider. So in that case I'm guessing they are hoping Mas can manage another Tour/Vuelta double. Still not sure what they are planning with Lopez because the article made it sound like Lopez is plan B at the Tour. My guess is they are only listing Valverde for la Vuelta because they want to ensure the Spanish fans he'll be there one more time.

The article did not make it sound like López will be plan B in the Tour at all. That's just your pre-conception (they have to mention one of them as the first as it would be a bit messy writing the names on top of each other).

The article did not make it sound like López will be plan B in the Tour at all. That's just your pre-conception (they have to mention one of them as the first as it would be a bit messy writing the names on top of each other).

It likely is the way it sounded when I tried translating it. The way the team normally operates sending them as co-leaders makes sense. However, I'm still surprised Lopez to the Tour instead of the Giro as I thought he preferred the Giro.

Does that mean Valverde is only planned for one GT next year or is that just setting out the leaders and Valverde will ride support in Giro or Tour as well.

Only 1 GT. Per the article likely only Spanish races so not even LBL. My guess is that this is a combination: 1) Goodbye to racing season; 2) Take minimal risks in preparation for his only goal (Olympics).

Edit: @RedheadDane Oops, corrected!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS