• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 rider schedules

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does that mean Valverde is only planned for one GT next year or is that just setting out the leaders and Valverde will ride support in Giro or Tour as well.

Only one WT (race), or only one GT? :p Surely he can do Catalunya and/or Pais Vasco as well as the Vuelta.

It means he is only racing the Vuelta. I saw something a day or two before that article (which I posted in the Movistar and Valverde thread) where Unzue said Valverde is only racing 1 GT next year.

My guess for his season is racing any/all races that happen to be inside Spanish boarder which does happen to include Catalonia and Basque region. The only race he's planning on outside of Spain is the Olympics. If someone is racing the Olympics it means they aren't racing San Sebastian as those two races overlap.

My guess would be Mallorca, Murcia, Valencia, Andalucia, Catalonia, Pais Vasco, GP Miguel Indurain, and the other 2 or 3 small Spanish races, Olympics and Vuelta.

As its own country, I suppose, since more than 90% voted for independence on the referendum in 2017.
I know politics talk is forbidden here, but I can't help my self:
Did you know that turnout was 43%?
Or did you know that referendum was unconstitutional?
Or did you know that according to Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia two thirds of majority is required for any change of Catalonia's status?

Reactions: Koronin
I know politics talk is forbidden here, but I can't help my self:
Did you know that turnout was 43%?
Or did you know that referendum was unconstitutional?
Or did you know that according to Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia two thirds of majority is required for any change of Catalonia's status?
Let's not discuss that here. Just telling why he might not consider it part of Spain.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Landa will do the tour and one other depending on the routes. I hope he chooses la vuelta as he has never done GC there whilst as good as his giro-tour double attempt was I don't see why a rider who has only one podium would disadvantage himself like that. At la vuelta he also has more chances to negate his TT losses.
A bit dissapointing for me.
If the tour is his first target that would mean that he will perhaps not be in top shape at the other grand tour. At the tour he will not have a chance against Pogacar and Roglic, especially with this course.., so his possibility to win or at least be at the podium are much higher if he would target the giro or the vuelta as his first main target.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Buchmann said in an interview with radsport-news.com, that it´s still not clear which Grand Tour he will target next year, also because he says that the route is not optimal for him. Ackermann has the word from Denk that he can ride the tour next year. So perhaps Bora will not go for GC at next years tour and will send Buchmann perhaps to another grand tour?

Reactions: BlueRoads
Buchmann said in an interview with radsport-news.com, that it´s still not clear which Grand Tour he will target next year, also because he says that the route is not optimal for him. Ackermann has the word from Denk that he can ride the tour next year. So perhaps Bora will not go for GC at next years tour and will send Buchmann perhaps to another grand tour?

Do you think Kämna for the Tour could be a possibility, or would they rather send Schachmann and Kämna stage-hunting? I agree Buchmann at next year's Tour isn't a great fit, the Giro will probably be better for him. Then he could also target the Olympics better.

Reactions: Earns1985
Do you think Kämna for the Tour could be a possibility, or would they rather send Schachmann and Kämna stage-hunting? I agree Buchmann at next year's Tour isn't a great fit, the Giro will probably be better for him. Then he could also target the Olympics better.
Could be also a possibility in my eyes. After a season to forget it´s perhaps better for Buchmann to target a Grand tour where the expectations from the german media are not that exaggerated. The argument with the olympics also counts, although I would say that this would count more for Schachmann then for Buchmann. Schachmann is the better one-day racer, especially because of his better sprint abilities, which could be important in the end of the Olympic race.

Could be also a possibility in my eyes. After a season to forget it´s perhaps better for Buchmann to target a Grand tour where the expectations from the german media are not that exaggerated. The argument with the olympics also counts, although I would say that this would count more for Schachmann then for Buchmann. Schachmann is the better one-day racer, especially because of his better sprint abilities, which could be important in the end of the Olympic race.

I think Max and Manny would be a good complementary 1-2 punch for the Olympics road race with different attributes and being on a German team will allow them to target it properly for the whole season as a medal would be great for marketing for Bora.

This year, he started in June and still won a Grand Tour, a monument and got another GT podium.
Last year was a special season for obvious reasons, we know that. Technically you can also start a normal season schedule in June and still end up with a GT win + GT podium + monument. But of course it doesn't make sense to start that late if healthy.

As for the Roglic's program, it's a copy of his last year's program before the pandemic took over and changed things a bit (a whole lot).

Last year was a special season for obvious reasons, we know that. Technically you can also start a normal season schedule in June and still end up with a GT win + GT podium + monument. But of course it doesn't make sense to start that late if healthy.

As for the Roglic's program, it's a copy of his last year's program before the pandemic took over and changed things a bit (a whole lot).

Is this the point when I should point out that last year is still 2019? The stuff you're referring to happened 2020, which was this year. ;)

Or... are you a time-traveller too?

• Haha
It seems like Buchmann will do the Giro and Ackermann and Sagan the Tour.

Man, it's going to be strange watching those two do their separate sprints but I really do think that will be the compromise as Sagan can't afford to do leadout work as it's unthinkable that he will not aim for the green jersey.