• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Strade Bianche, March 6th

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
VDP is unbelievable. He drops Alaphil like a *** stone and outpunches what is supposed to be the best puncher in the world. Whilst also dropping the Tour winner of 2019 with 20 seconds in 300 meters.

This man can win FW, LBL as well. Maybe not Lombardia but *** you are not going to convince me this guy can't win LBL. Holy jesus wtf have i just seen
That's basically just the difference between being relatively fresh and being stone dead.

Reactions: roundabout
Wow, what a race. Incredible power by VDP: he was riding uphill like a motorbike, what was his peak wattage? Congrats, he's the favourite for early classics for sure. Good race by Alaphilippe but it wasn't enough today. Incredible effort by Bernal - a featherweight climber competing in Strade against a beast like VdP? He's already a big early favourite for the Giro. I expected more from VVA today but it was his first race. My fave Poga was 7th - a decent place but I hoped he would be in Bernal's position today. Noteworthy performance by Simmons - the 19 yo was very strong today but unlucky as well (puncture and fall).

30w/kg here
CORVOS_00032931-053.jpg

There hardly could've been a finer selection.
Impressive performance from MVdP. Definitely the strongest.
Alaphilippe the best of the rest. The second really was the best he could get against MVdP.
Maybe Bernal could've had a chance should've he gone all out from the bottom, but I suppose it's too short for his diesel.
Van Aert spent too much time pulling at the front before Van der Poel's attack, but the recovery is a sign of the brilliant form he's heading to. He dropped the chasing company at the end too, so he's on the right path.
Pogacar excellent but the UAE tour's where his early-season form hit the peak.
Pidcock living up to the expectations. Too bad he couldn't hold to spice it up with Bernal at the end.
And I think Gogl surprised himself as well as everybody else.
Curious to hear Van Avermaet's impressions. Looked to me he wasn't feeling quite well and tried to force legs to work. Not just an ordinary crisis.

Showcase race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I do think VDP could win a Lombardia. He nearly clung on on last year and he looks stronger this year. A Bergamo finish might suit him.
It wasn't the strongest field though. Couple of riders not riding it because of the Tour, possibly the best man in the race crashing out and he still finished on 6+ mins. I won't bet my life against anything van der Poel tries, but I do think it'll be hard.

Wow, what a race. Incredible power by VDP: he was riding uphill like a motorbike, what was his peak wattage? Congrats, he's the favourite for early classics for sure. Good race by Alaphilippe but it wasn't enough today. Incredible effort by Bernal - a featherweight climber competing in Strade against a beast like VdP? He's already a big early favourite for the Giro. I expected more from VVA today but it was his first race. My fave Poga was 7th - a decent place but I hoped he would be in Bernal's position today. Noteworthy performance by Simmons - the 19 yo was very strong today but unlucky as well (puncture and fall).
It's still early season for Pogi. Winning the UAE is already a great start. Agreed also it's good to see Bernal riding well again after a difficult 2020.

Reactions: Sandisfan
VDP is unbelievable. He drops Alaphil like a *** stone and outpunches what is supposed to be the best puncher in the world. Whilst also dropping the Tour winner of 2019 with 20 seconds in 300 meters.

This man can win FW, LBL as well. Maybe not Lombardia but *** you are not going to convince me this guy can't win LBL. Holy jesus wtf have i just seen

I really can't see him winning FW (LBL I could) if the main guys all turn up in shape. The race isn't hard enough to hurt the explosiveness of guys like Ala, Roglic etc. If Roglic is in shape with the Jumbo team, it's hard to look past him for FW and LBL if he wants them

TRENDING THREADS