• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Trentino European Championships 8-12 September

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bonetto finished 5th, only 3sec behind the podium. He's an interesting young rider with an interesting story.

He used to be a swimmer, but really started to struggle with anorexia when he was 14 years old, according to himself it was getting into life threatning territory. Then one day his father took him on a MTB trip and he found joy in riding on a bike, it was the first step on his way back to normal. After a few months he started riding on his uncle's road bike and watching Nibali win the 2016 did the rest.
This year Marco Villa asked him to try track cycling because he's a good TTer and he won both the junior EC and the junior WC IP with minimal track experience.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...bonetto-anoressia-campione-del-mondo-juniores

About time Belgium got some talented, up-and-coming TT'ers.

As already mentioned Germany prefers to recruit its cyclists from ski mountaineerers nowadays.

For Niedermaier, it is usually steep uphill in her athletic life. The 18-year-old comes - like her namesake Anton Palzer from Team Bora - hansgrohe - from ski mountaineering, was already double world champion and world cup winner among the juniors and took part in the Youth Olympic Games. Her career plan so far was clear: After graduating from high school, she went to the police and then prepared for the Olympic premiere of ski mountaineers in Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo in 2026.
"It is very surprising for me that I can compete internationally in cycling. I would not have thought that, because I am new and do not have the tactics and technique yet. Therefore, it is a great honor for me to be able to ride here at the front." she said in Trento now. "I was hoping to make it into the top 10, maybe into the top 5. But I never thought that I would be able to go so far up front."
After silver in the first international cycling competitions, the question now arises of how things will go on for Niedermaier. Is 'Toni' now following Toni and, like Anton Palzer, who was once her teammate on skis, is going from a ski mountaineer to a WorldTour cyclist in the medium term?
"I definitely want to do both for the next few years until ski mountaineering becomes Olympic in 2026. And then I'll definitely have to make a decision at some point," said Niedermaier in Trento. "But I'm young and I think I can cope with such a double season if I only run and drive selected races."

google translated, hence she drives her bike

Reactions: Sandisfan
As already mentioned Germany prefers to recruit its cyclists from ski mountaineerers nowadays.

For Niedermaier, it is usually steep uphill in her athletic life. The 18-year-old comes - like her namesake Anton Palzer from Team Bora - hansgrohe - from ski mountaineering, was already double world champion and world cup winner among the juniors and took part in the Youth Olympic Games. Her career plan so far was clear: After graduating from high school, she went to the police and then prepared for the Olympic premiere of ski mountaineers in Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo in 2026.
"It is very surprising for me that I can compete internationally in cycling. I would not have thought that, because I am new and do not have the tactics and technique yet. Therefore, it is a great honor for me to be able to ride here at the front." she said in Trento now. "I was hoping to make it into the top 10, maybe into the top 5. But I never thought that I would be able to go so far up front."
After silver in the first international cycling competitions, the question now arises of how things will go on for Niedermaier. Is 'Toni' now following Toni and, like Anton Palzer, who was once her teammate on skis, is going from a ski mountaineer to a WorldTour cyclist in the medium term?
"I definitely want to do both for the next few years until ski mountaineering becomes Olympic in 2026. And then I'll definitely have to make a decision at some point," said Niedermaier in Trento. "But I'm young and I think I can cope with such a double season if I only run and drive selected races."

google translated, hence she drives her bike
Ski Mo is probably the sport where nearly all the potential for endurance sports from the actual alpine areas in central Europe goes, lots of mountain men (and women).

Italy is doing a good job in bringing up strong rouleurs, mainly because of the track cycling programm and good track coaches working with the kids, but when it comes to climbing/gc talents I feel they should invest a lot more in MTB. With all the news of people getting killed in crashes involving cars on open roads parents are probably also a lot more open to have their kids compete offroad.

Reactions: Lui98 and BlueRoads
Bonetto finished 5th, only 3sec behind the podium. He's an interesting young rider with an interesting story.

He used to be a swimmer, but really started to struggle with anorexia when he was 14 years old, according to himself it was getting into life threatning territory. Then one day his father took him on a MTB trip and he found joy in riding on a bike, it was the first step on his way back to normal. After a few months he started riding on his uncle's road bike and watching Nibali win the 2016 did the rest.
This year Marco Villa asked him to try track cycling because he's a good TTer and he won both the junior EC and the junior WC IP with minimal track experience.
Source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...bonetto-anoressia-campione-del-mondo-juniores
The Bag saving lives.

Clipboard.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
So tomorrow:

World Champion and home favorite Ganna?
Defending Champion Kung?
Bissegger who just impressed with a monster TT at the Benelux Tour?
Second home favorite Affini?
Two times Tour winner Pogacar?
Remco after all?
Or Asgreen, Cavagna, Almeida, Bjerg?

This must be the absolute best startlist for the EC ITT ever I guess (only missing Van Aert, Roglic and Dumoulin?) and I have no clue how the podium will look like. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob