• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 Trentino European Championships 8-12 September

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I care. Being a champion is more than winning races. It is also being an example for future generations.

We have such a good generation with classfull amazing cyclists as Roglic, Bernal, Van Aert who show great sportmanship on and off the bike.
Being an example at what, exactly? Why is it so bad to show emotion, frustration and anger? It's not like Evenepoel is vandalizing Colbrelli's bike afterwards.

Edit: Deleted a part of my post to not derail the thread.

• Wow
Reactions: noob
Being an example at what, exactly? Why is it so bad to show emotion, frustration and anger? It's not like Evenepoel is vandalizing Colbrelli's bike afterwards.

Yes, Roglic, Bernal and Van Aert are all very calm off the bike. But they're also quite boring imo. And no, I have nothing against them at all, I just think that their interviews are bland.
his hand move was extremely unpolite. And this is not the first time.

Sportstars are examples to young kids, showing emotion is ok. Being a little brat every time not so. Or do you want to watch the next generation all acting this way?

Reactions: topt
Ah okay. Well, not great. But something I could live with. One thing that stung me at the time was when he held the sign for Lambrecht into the camera, saying "note to myself" in English, I found that unpleasant. But then I'm always sensitive with demonstrative mourning. I guess we all have our sensitivities and what gets to us...

Sign for Lambrecht? When?
He held up Jakobsen's race number at Poland last year... but I don't remember anything about holding up a tribute to Lambrecht.

And his reaction after winning the European TT two years ago didn't look like "demonstrative mourning", just... his emotions boiling over...

• Wow
Reactions: noob
Because there are bunch of amateur wannabes who know absolutely nothing about cycling and have achieved nothing in sports so they attack people to feel better.

Jesus its a forum where people express opinions
Just cos you dont like the opinions you start attacking people ..very mature and very refreshing

Everyone could see when Cobrelli was sitting on Evenepol that the race was only going to end in one way
and he could have done many things . One being forcing Sonny to ride by not sitting on the front and played with letting the others back. He may not have won but he was never going to win the way he rode

I have nothing against Evenepol and he is good for racing but with fans like you it makes it hard to support him

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
his hand move was extremely unpolite. And this is not the first time.

Sportstars are examples to young kids, showing emotion is ok. Being a little brat every time not so. Or do you want to watch the next generation all acting this way?
In the past, there have been countless examples of riders doing what Evenepoel did, something similar and even something way worse, and "the next generations" haven't "all acted that way", so I don't think your fear is justified.

Sign for Lambrecht? When?
He held up Jakobsen's race number at Poland last year... but I don't remember anything about holding up a tribute to Lambrecht.

And his reaction after winning the European TT two years ago didn't look like "demonstrative mourning", just... his emotions boiling over...

I think it was at the EC tt he won...? A piece of paper, saying it was a note to himself, but why would you write a note to yourself in English and hold it into the camera... well, it was one of the small things that can't be really held against him from an objective point of view... just a thing I personally didn't like.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
I think it was at the EC tt he won...? A piece of paper, saying it was a note to himself, but why would you write a note to yourself in English and hold it into the camera... well, it was one of the small things that can't be really held against him from an objective point of view... just a thing I personally didn't like.

Oh... I just remembered his absolute breaking down while in the hot-seat.
But now that you mention it...

What evenpoel should do is the last kilometer obviously instead of riding starting to focus on his emotions so that he will have calmed down at the finish to not humiliate a journalist.

Of course he might have lost his second place and come next to Trentin and Pogacar, but at least he would have been nice to the journalists... After all controlling emotions > riding as fast as you can til the finish.

Or Not.

Yeah, a minute after losing a unique chance to become European champion is not the moment the brain functions optimally, I'd say. The gesture was unnecessary but it's a side-show. Too many people seem very eager to bring this kid down. He's still young and his temper also makes for spectacular racing. I'd rather focus on that.

As posted already, his post-race interview was quite graceful, and he said Colbrelli deserved the win and did nothing wrong.

TRENDING THREADS