• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders: Road Races

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jasper Stuyven, home rider from Leuven, thinks it'll be a bunch sprint with 30-ish riders. However, the last K is a rising line (besides the last 250 meters) hence he figures the pure sprinters will have lost their punch making it a perfect parcour for strong classic riders with a sprint like WVA, MVP and Cort Nielsen.

He didn't name Mats Pedersen but that might be because he doesn't want to put his team mate in the spot lights. On a personal note I put Pedersen right up there if it's a reduced bunch sprint.

I hope he's wrong though, and it woun't be a bunch sprint. :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why do you say that? Just curious.
Too many times he makes wrong decisions in finale that cost him Victory. Some good examples:
-2017 Kuurne Brussels Kuurne
-2021 Gp marseille (sprinting from 400m)
-2019 Sanremo
-2018 Sanremo (if he pulls for Ewan instead of attacking they win)
-2021 Brabanste Pijl he crush any small chance of victory by pulling Wout and Piddcok

He's not the worst, but seems like reasonably intelligent person off the bike and yet often makes blunders in races.

Too many times he makes wrong decisions in finale that cost him Victory. Some good examples:
-2017 Kuurne Brussels Kuurne
-2021 Gp marseille (sprinting from 400m)
-2019 Sanremo
-2018 Sanremo (if he pulls for Ewan instead of attacking they win)
-2021 Brabanste Pijl he crush any small chance of victory by pulling Wout and Piddcok

He's not the worst, but seems like reasonably intelligent person off the bike and yet often makes blunders in races.
I remember him for being clued up enough to beat an emerging VdP and WvA at the Europeans 2018.
Like the guy, also very gracious in defeat.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
But... you aren't showing anything! There's no picture...

I can see a picture on the laptop, but not on the phone..
Have seen a lot of teams the last couple days, but I won't try to post them again :D

I've seen the Austria junior girl after her crash with the public bus and stayed with the others to check if I could do something but the medics arrived fast. Luckely the helmet wasn't broken. The bike broke in half. I send a message to Stuyven and he also said that he was very carefull there this week.

Jasper Stuyven, home rider from Leuven, thinks it'll be a bunch sprint with 30-ish riders.

That sounds depressing.

I don't mind a "group sprint", but a whole bunch arriving like that devalues the world title in my opinion.

In any case there are still plenty of riders & teams there (like the French, Slovenians etc.) who have a vested interest in making sure that doesn't happen. So there's hope yet.

So, ec + wc double for Nys tomorrow? Belgium are extremely strong and he must be one of the fastest finishers in the peloton. Who could possibly beat him on the line? Of course they also have De Lie who might be their go-to guy, idk. Kooij perhaps, but I dont think he will make it.
Ghirmay will be very interesting to see as well but will likely suffer from lack of support. The Norwegians, Italians, Dutch and to some extend Denmark are strong in numbers but will all, except for Holland perhaps, have to ride offensively.
In conclusion, Belgium seem like the team to beat with to of the top contenders and s very strong team.

So, ec + wc double for Nys tomorrow? Belgium are extremely strong and he must be one of the fastest finishers in the peloton. Who could possibly beat him on the line? Of course they also have De Lie who might be their go-to guy, idk. Kooij perhaps, but I dont think he will make it.
Ghirmay will be very interesting to see as well but will likely suffer from lack of support. The Norwegians, Italians, Dutch and to some extend Denmark are strong in numbers but will all, except for Holland perhaps, have to ride offensively.
In conclusion, Belgium seem like the team to beat with to of the top contenders and s very strong team.
Yeah, not many riders could beat Nys or Kooij. Italy has Baroncini and Colnaghi, who could both get a medal, but both of them would probably prefer a harder route.

Jasper Stuyven, home rider from Leuven, thinks it'll be a bunch sprint with 30-ish riders. However, the last K is a rising line (besides the last 250 meters) hence he figures the pure sprinters will have lost their punch making it a perfect parcour for strong classic riders with a sprint like WVA, MVP and Cort Nielsen.

He didn't name Mats Pedersen but that might be because he doesn't want to put his team mate in the spot lights. On a personal note I put Pedersen right up there if it's a reduced bunch sprint.

I hope he's wrong though, and it woun't be a bunch sprint. :)
It could be like 2016 where all the action is early on then you just bore yourself watching 2 groups chase each other until the first one sprints for the win.

The Leuven hills just don't cut it

TRENDING THREADS