• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders: Road Races

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dragging riders like Sagan, Caleb Ewan & Magnus Cort to the finish line doesn't seem like a super idea.

I think the Belgians should want to create a bigger selection than that.

Id favour WVA over Sagan or Cort in a bunch sprint in any race nowadays, and I'd fancy him over Ewan on a course like this. In Denmark's case at least, they should be doing everything to not be in a bunch sprint against WVA as none of their riders will beat him there.

Id favour WVA over Sagan or Cort in a bunch sprint in any race nowadays, and I'd fancy him over Ewan on a course like this. In Denmark's case at least, they should be doing everything to not be in a bunch sprint against WVA as none of their riders will beat him there.
Pedersen is the one Dane who I could see beating Wout.
Sadly Sam Bennett is not riding, him winning in Belgium and hearing Lefevre's reaction afterwards would be priceless.
Germany is flying under the radar, Politt or Degenkolb could surprise people, even if those 2 and Walscheid should be even better one week later...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Van Aert basically saying the plan is to have Evenepoel attack, and him (Van Aert) staying fresh in the group behind until the final. So there's that.

In the meanwhile, the U23's are taking themselves out it seems.

Looks like one or two, who aren't used to them, seem to be being caught out by the drainage system at the sides of the road? Riders either trying to use it, or being pushed into it

So normally about now we talk about the junior race isn't always/ever a good indicator for the Elite races...

But....

This doesn't look like a course you can chase on easily. I think it'll be difficult for anyone to control and I'm leaning towards teams with multiple leaders being better placed now.

Caveat that with a couple of the teams are ridiculously strong and now that I've typed the above, we'll probably see a strangled race with a reduced bunch sprint.
It's not a course that makes it easy to chase, but it doesn't make it easy to get away either. I think if a break wants to go to the finish, that the break needs to be formed on the Flandrien part, before going into the local laps in Leuven.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS