• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders: Road Races

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Aert basically saying the plan is to have Evenepoel attack, and him (Van Aert) staying fresh in the group behind until the final. So there's that.

In the meanwhile, the U23's are taking themselves out it seems.

Did you understand that to mean that Evenepoel can effectively ride his own race? Otherwise, I don't really understand this strategy. Would seem better to me to have Remco covering attacks by the likes of Mohoric, MVDP, Asgreen, rather than instigating them himself?

Did you understand that to mean that Evenepoel can effectively ride his own race? Otherwise, I don't really understand this strategy. Would seem better to me to have Remco covering attacks by the likes of Mohoric, MVDP, Asgreen, rather than instigating them himself?
His words were something like "People are afraid of what Remco can do. When he attacks he will force other countries to start working. Remco attacking would be his role to help me (Wout)". Basically the other nations need to start working or Evenepoel is gone. The moment Evenepoel can go solo, it increases the odds for both Remco (not needing to sprint in case he survives) and Wout (with Evenepoel solo, other nations can't bet on a compatriot outsprinting Evenepoel, so they'll need to work, with Van Aert getting a free ride).

His words were something like "People are afraid of what Remco can do. When he attacks he will force other countries to start working. Remco attacking would be his role to help me (Wout)". Basically the other nations need to start working or Evenepoel is gone. The moment Evenepoel can go solo, it increases the odds for both Remco (not needing to sprint in case he survives) and Wout (with Evenepoel solo, other nations can't bet on a compatriot outsprinting Evenepoel, so they'll need to work, with Van Aert getting a free ride).

Thanks a lot. My dream scenario for this race is Evenepoel and Mohoric getting away. Would make for a very interesting race.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I'd think Remco is good for trying the longer range attack and considering the route, Belgium should have plenty around WVA towards the end of the race anyway. Considering his form, I'd be thinking Campanaerts would be around there and Benoot and Stuyven should be too. If it comes to trade team help too, surely Roglic would help out assuming he doesn't have someone like Mohoric up the road.

TRENDING THREADS