• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders: Road Races

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You have to be focused on trying to win, not trying to lure new fans into the sport.

You can't just be shooting left, right and centre for the lolz, creating an artificial image of the sport as being more chaotic than it really is, if it vastly decreases your chances of winning.
No of course not. But you need both.

My commentator once said that controlled cycling started with Armstrong. And that what happened this TdF with Van der Poel etc was not something new, but going back to the time before Armstrong. (I think about that when listening to guys like Horner...) Whether accurate or not I guess it's his experience as an older retired pro.

Canadians

FAJ_iDMWUAMavDQ

I thought the kid races have been done?

Looking back upon the women's race I think it was exciting to watch. It wasn't dominated by one country and it was good to see a young rider win, maybe the beginning of a new generation. Longo Borghini is often one of the strongest riders, but she's always beaten in the sprint. So this time she decided to pull the sprint for a younger teammate, and she did it really well.

Today they expect 500,000 spectators along the road. It will be a celebration of cycling, with the conclusion of the first major public event since the corona regulations. After a completely dry week of Indian summer there might be some showers today.

I hope the race will break open in the Flandrien zone, from the Moskestraat on. Hopefully the winner will be a strong guy who made the race; not a sprinter who sat on wheels today. Belgium has a strong team, but the pressure to finish it off will be enormous. Anyway the traditional morning nerves are creeping in.

Reactions: topcat
I thought the kid races have been done?

Should be pretty obvious that it's all the Canadians.

Btw question to Denmark; why no Mørkøv? Is he injured or something?

He just wasn't selected. Because that's the situation we're in right now; eight spots still isn't enough to bring all the good Danish riders!

Anyway, someone was a bit tired yesterday!

45fa9587-aa41-4f8d-877a-55000846bc3a.jpg

No of course not. But you need both.

My commentator once said that controlled cycling started with Armstrong. And that what happened this TdF with Van der Poel etc was not something new, but going back to the time before Armstrong. (I think about that when listening to guys like Horner...) Whether accurate or not I guess it's his experience as an older retired pro.

Your commentator must not have watched Induráin's Tours :)

Reactions: Wyndbrook
The thing with the new racing especially because of the crossers/ van der Poel which brings back the old racing of the 70s and 80s is repeated here as well a lot (so the start of the controlled era is set a bit later)... I don't really know how much truth is in that, but the way they talk about it I feel that it has become a topos which is not really questioned anymore, it just gets repeated and often sounds very fan-ish.

Reactions: Sandisfan