• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders: Road Races

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
FAPDrNPWYAU2Usu

Imagine being a World Champion AND dating Marion Rousse.... whatever man.....

Congratulations, Alaf! Im more of a Van Aert/Van der Poel-guy, but i really do not care when hes riding this aggressively and flat out just being the strongest rider winning this way. Those are the types of rides we want to see in the biggest one day races and what we will remember. Aint nobody really remember Cav 2011 or Sagan 2016 (because they were bad races and they only put their nose in their wind last 200 m), but this one I will definitely remember as a great race with a great and deserving winner.

Hopefully Roubaix will be just as great next weekend with a great champion as a winner!

Hoelgaard is going to be a huge addition to the Trek classics team. 3 headed mini-monster?

He has been in great form this season. Almost perfect race by Hoelgaard, until he gambled on staying with MvdP and van Aert rather than going with Valgren and that was the only mistake he made. It makes me sad that Uno-X isn't invited to Paris-Roubaix, but next year he'll be on the WT where he deserves to be.

Honourable mention to Rasmus Staghøj and Rolf Sørensen. Especially the latter was firing on all cylinders despite the tragic loss of Chris Anker. Unfortunately, I didn't hear the interview with Andreas Kron but what he said clearly moved them both so that they had to keep quiet for a minute.

By the way, you know a race is absolute bonkers when Rolf of all people says that the riders are attacking too early!

Imola was raced super closed. Innsbruck too (but it's a special case). Likewise for Bergen, really. If the teams had approached today like Bergen, I'm certain it would have been a reduced sprint.
Bergen had fewer climbs, though, and not as steep. It was probably just as “hard” a course to ride around, but didn’t have as many tactical points.

Richmond would have been a more exciting course if raced like today.

I thought a small group sprint was likely because it’s what we’ve seen for most of the big 1-day races this year; Flanders, Liege, Amstel, San Sebastian all came down to 2-5 riders in the finale, and MSR had a solo attack from 3km that held off the sprinters.

We saw so many GT stages this year fall to a solo attacker in front of a disfunctional chase group, that if you told me before that the Worlds would end that way too, I would’ve been disappointed, but Alaf did it so well, and the whole rest of the race was so good, that I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: IndurainsTdF1994
Bergen had fewer climbs, though, and not as steep. It was probably just as “hard” a course to ride around, but didn’t have as many tactical points.

Richmond would have been a more exciting course if raced like today.

I thought a small group sprint was likely because it’s what we’ve seen for most of the big 1-day races this year; Flanders, Liege, Amstel, San Sebastian all came down to 2-5 riders in the finale, and MSR had a solo attack from 3km that held off the sprinters.

We saw so many GT stages this year fall to a solo attacker in front of a disfunctional chase group, that if you told me before that the Worlds would end that way too, I would’ve been disappointed, but Alaf did it so well, and the whole rest of the race was so good, that I really enjoyed it.

The Richmond race was actually ridden much more aggressively than what people tend to remember but the lap started with ten flat kilometers and every single time, there was a total regroup before they hit the climbs again.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS