• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders - Time Trials

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The result of the ITT reinfoces my opinion that the Olympics having the RR before the ITT, skewed the results of the ITT.

Completely different flat course today from that at the Olympics (way more climbing meters there). Riding the Olympics RR wasn't an advantage (did you mean it?) - just look at Van Aert who was in a great form but gassed out during the RR and lost his TT medal chances.

Ganna not racing the RR caused him to be worse than Roglic and Dennis who did race the RR? Or something else?

Look how deep Van Aert went in the RR which affected his ITT - Roglic dropped out before the final and blitzed the ITT - I'll also add that if you have the ITT before the RR, then the support riders will go deeper in the RR, instead of saving themselves for the ITT - Anyway, I like the idea at these World's of having the ITT five to seven days before the RR.

I randomly picked one relatively old wiki page revision

so, yeah he was 1.87 then and it sources the team, not pcs or whatever
What is this supposed to prove? That he was at one point 1m87 and that that info was used on the TJV website?
The info about Pidcock being 1m57 was also on the Ineos website just a few months ago, when he was in fact already 1m70.

So yeah... yeah.

If you google 'Wout van Aert height" you get 187 cm.
And now he's indeed on the UCI list of 190+ cm riders list.

Of course, a simple google search could be not so credible, although 187 cm still appears on many different sites as Wout's height has been updated to 190 cm in some places at some point, could be actually the moment of joining of Jumbo as @F_Cance stated.

Honestly, I rarely hear of anyone growing up 3cm at the age of 25.
Rarely but it can happen. My friend insists he grew a couple of cm at 30yo.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pidcock grew 12 cm in one day, at the age of 21. Then he shrank 12cm. And then he grew 12cm again at the age of 22.
But i'm sure google and PCS are very reliable.

(lol)

As for Van Aert, he was a late bloomer physically (he was a lot shorter than van der Poel throughout most of the youth ranks), so it's not at all that farfetched that he kept growing at a later age. And it's also not that far fetched that the information of him being 1m86 was from when he was 18 years old, and never got updated until he changed teams.
human-height-growth-per-month.jpg

As I said, google and pcs might not be very reliable indeed.

It just seems to be quite an interesting coincidence that his height was suddenly updated to the value that is just enough to alllow him for (supposedly) a more advantageous position on a TT bike.

Tbh UCI restrictions on TT bike sizes are utterly ridiculous anyway.

Can you explain why are they ridiculous?
You think that extending the distance between the BB and the tip of the handlebar (which 190+ guys can do) has no impact on performance?

Tbh, I have no idea how important this diameters in TT bikes are and how much it affects the performance and if UCI regulations are ridiculous here or not. So I'd really appreciated some insight on this topic if you have such knowledge ;)

Last edited:
I guess that Ganna actually told us the truth when he said that he likes both short and long TTs. The mid length ones that are the "worst" for him.

This is very weird. It would mean that he can generate huge VO2 max power (prologues) and maintain very high anaerobic threshold power (longer TTs) but misses something in between. I think that by "short and long TTs" he meant TTs of any length. Looking at his achievements he won various kind of TTs: 8 km, 15 km, 30 km and longer. I wouldn't suspect any weakness in mid-length TTs. His EU loss may have been associated with the fact that he went there straight from an altitude training camp and needed some easy days to reach his best condition. Plus one can always have better and worse days.

Can you explain why are they ridiculous?
You think that extending the distance between the BB and the tip of the handlebar (which 190+ guys can do) has no impact on performance?

Tbh, I have no idea how important this diamaters in TT bikes are and how much it affects the performance and if UCI regulations are ridiculous here or not. So I'd really appreciated some insight on this topic if you have such knowledge ;)
It's weird that it's suddenly allowed when 190+ cm. It would make more sense to me if there is a max distance proportionate to the rider's length, or in intervals of 5 cm or so.

What is this supposed to prove? That he was at one point 1m87 and that that info was used on the TJV website?
The info about Pidcock being 1m57 was also on the Ineos website just a few months ago, when he was in fact already 1m70.

So yeah... yeah.

That the height of 1.87 came from the team website unlike your initial claim that it came from some random source.

But whatever, if you think that any source that disagrees with what you think is automatically wrong, there is no point in having any discussion.

This is very weird. It would mean that he can generate huge VO2 max power (prologues) and maintain very high anaerobic threshold power (longer TTs) but misses something in between. I think that by "short and long TTs" he meant TTs of any length. Looking at his achievements he won various kind of TTs: 8 km, 15 km, 30 km and longer. I wouldn't suspect any weakness in mid-length TTs. His EU loss may have been associated with the fact that he went there straight from an altitude training camp and needed some easy days to reach his best condition. Plus one can always have better and worse days.
Yeah, but last year he said that the 30 to 40min ITTs are the hardest for him. I agree about the altitude part, he never seems to be at his best rigght after training at altitude, he needs some time.

I will feel for him when he gets second again next week. But for now I'm still assuming he wins that and honestly in my eyes a road race win is worth more than a tt win.

Just like at the Olympics he'll be the marked man. Everybody will be chasing him (if he escapes) and everybody will be expecting him (and his team) to chase breakaways. In a tactical race it's realistic that the field will beat him and the mighty Wout will get another silver! His strong team will be very important for him to make the race more controllable (or a long-range attack by Remco can force others to waste energy).

Last edited:
That the height of 1.87 came from the team website unlike your initial claim that it came from some random source.

But whatever, if you think that any source that disagrees with what you think is automatically wrong, there is no point in having any discussion.
I'm merely saying it proves nothing. For all we know he could be 1m86, or he could be 1m93. PCS, google, wikipedia... even the team website is not an official document. The scenario i laid out is quite common, and it's quite possible the team's initial profile page just grabbed the info from the internet, just like PCS or wikipedia do. Just like what happened with Pidcock, even when a blind man could see Pidcock was no 1m57. After some time, after medical checkups, and when somebody thinks to notify the web developers, that info gets redacted.

I'm merely saying it proves nothing. For all we know he could be 1m86, or he could be 1m93. PCS, google, wikipedia... even the team website is not an official document. The scenario i laid out is quite common, and it's quite possible the team's initial profile page just grabbed the info from the internet, just like PCS or wikipedia do. Just like what happened with Pidcock, even when a blind man could see Pidcock was no 1m57. After some time, after medical checkups, and when somebody thinks to notify the web developers, that info gets redacted.

How would that work? ;)

• Haha
Or they just never adjust it. I know that in tennis they overestimate hight a lot by measuring in inches then rounding up. Murray confirmed his height 8 years ago and the ATP site still has this wrong, but considering UCI regulations mean the height matters for what bike setups are allowed they should take a lot better care in this.

I think maybe the flags were in front of the podium, so riders wouldn't have to turn sideways.

That is, sideways around their vertical axle, not their horizontal axle, coz that would look weird.

I think you mean axis.

And I think everybody knows what it means to turn sideways without the need of a specification as to which axis is concerned...

And there are two horizontal axes, by the way, we do live in a 3D world.

• Haha
In no particular order other than 20th to 1st:
(first of all: I hope pics are visible, and apologies for the reduced format / quality):

20Hugo Houle (Canada)0:03:03
e0DeueP8ZBvA9y5WQNs5CXbwwRNhxufaxVUWmoVp9444lYm1at1BIOWIJTEEh8CLUvh3f6XM3Wj5SRlc2xHJN8EAFVNFWxrJdOWlY_p4-50VUjN0iWitmOC6dmIOzJPeYJ0GONa2s_O__lk7UajSCmQ7UztOGx1RYTk0eM5La6O4jtbbzEXGTBchAT90WLeMbRgMhP1TJnlw04goFEUrFEyAqWHXwZYAHQMepZsVIkIlWDoRqTmrt01zORs-M1E588ah36ZWIMXVocj_jWRhvBhHhC8DwF-Vq3nusk9_O31EWIIIK7IPph29IWKsqSqlK-Fs7mvYISyra_LXhNX4mO1gDhDJcZuvA7Jltc8eTQ1uIlEOHt0o0Y1r-Cg1dCzECA7dVsjbF99QbZ_mSfCBRlsWzYiL3Oi4Mia4NsH2xFy_9p8F9PtNAN42R106dqaePNXfDLZ2YSijd8gi_5OX9TJcBSp_xlQ8IGh4eYCQWpUJCA5zKBd22kmtz-QsQO2z-6dA0ElGHR3e82WReolN0H0e2U6sDC_67A2ZQsnapxAx_b-QjA_Of-nwO-X0SH4gXCNBhiW4kAbprgfnUpuxlSWN6WIw9ollw8rr_nM5c8psH91-rBxR0wzfRMiGuVMjqiccmdLBpgpX6XMWMZMEiqPFRWJAL-BTSHk9mk5eFMQI0a5Xo7ahRaxgMPTPOoFtApGhgsKGu_6v6iiwebC4hiQ5=w1000-h666-no

19Ryan Gibbons (South Africa)
eAxaXwKUPXWOP5Nnq2dzkbRuWg-XlJiikXaY2WfjFP9i62sIRUL33XhX0xZNYi5duABpChvar4MeFCD6gLwVwVhimsD9uuvIVh6bJM1Bht8GoW9q-wwkbuudDyb-ukCXb9fou6PnRbjedQ6keuI0xnNuHOQuDWkuutE3XoilnWTFhmPoQw1SaZ8ZxFbu712RENjxFK4CkPd3z1a_qSdcrlZZlhWTqAu6hSWuDRoR-8kKVQFhn8ksXH0mLzroxPzouiRW6lOiX6Z_ewbG4woXAxjYoB8LB-6Z21uHqk_t6hRNbFz1146Ve8KYsmR5U8fPXNZoI-ss-J93sAPW8B0SDiNbpRC3vdqF97C3Q1Zb5tYhfOY8lSTaHCgfIa_DlQHf3vtV6hZ8gWf-aAcnjJXOWakgNVDY_oSQ_hyaIpklakyzTs6mzWaZDDj2a5Ilq3l1kqY6M_tIhnJU2NYsUbLh3mN40SfGXviW6Plq0F2zxlbfK4UJJxUn33b6S8PrxwO8HG9LGUjL5S4rMKyj0ceFqRT63xK8n649cTOz27Ip-jjssuPRCfFNWiytlJYF-e02vCULu-BP98qlg0Saih27zgZolVc2rlumqpkYzx-85l6IroqgCzSxI6yeyu9qyBb-QaSGm59Bqd28pHfRtcnmtIF_ekLKYdR25OHznaK5LB1emkKxb0k41vmqiklSrFgdtvUoQjJrthIohgiNyvM_v-TE=w1000-h666-no

18Lawson Craddock (United States)0:02:37
gZevTJa55u_txsGUDOwvvLnCpXb0ScTxj1U_y4Ngqfk6PBfEoDXLjOm_4gppWTscHlvNSXYrMCgRnOjGlb0-MyvGUMWor0SyxUxcaSpqyeI7LUPdKQ4sjLiW15E7hCgsyXOTlfo7mQtfFuGWXYfvTPh0OdgkssHUztGMfYZIRoIALv7OabpveQhveDljsolKbut7YUrFa19KOCKko_4Tf2jGmdxiIhURsn19EW6eCFzbQMBtHiVtsO5iusoowRroWsm6IjoBfR0cmAT8j9naefDoetgwdgElNvyusx1yJW-a5IDmkSWZ9fXdfoxsT0RFg7r98ot36baa4APE9lrn8qY9kGNRyxYkEMHVIE2Vj92r6OuHrIw_Xa5absrC3KBT4Ovyk7LOwlXEx6CusGPtZoOxLIxbHUceGcnnDEVR7pmhNCAjgpzj08gcOyDKM2ne1UqVPqWO_0tFElHtA_oc0CwHbCWPjNcOWMpgMNPwifKU62WK3pN9AtPf8Z3-h6BFSgk7cHVHQnts0Vt9D2av8zQatbIr7_8OANwIyq2faIEyJcgVUPK6tkMnhDinQboRJERDu54kmYq0LHxq4mg56gBoiEV7DDT8DPwoebtkTiOfmKUk8hmQNROeKRhiiib1Lup6s7Ho-vQdCfBF4TrnPPOYCEKZVnyaGh5NOmfBD35EJsXq63RieQWFOSd8bZrTDHjax4uoOqTO-r-6xy61vDF7=w1000-h667-no

I had to post another one of this beloved patriot, as I love his aero helmet and the way it fits perfectly on his head!

1iSNsnNRaEdvUuiKKu41Oxr8e7mX9e0nOQMKGmbKlcIa05gVBrYImwOsju9wlvjIfiY-_8D3wIpoDm6boW4vxhIKx2XmtCqp-5itfINpYXDJW5-LYde4uwV0W8dRb308qaE8fJyP7jS48kzp7M_jum4L3J8PLpkBa9GpueRYXj-A3Dz7EjFTxsOZLHeGM8CWnq7Sf5Mzb_OYn4N0obEVpvavOX9fJSXsJT-NmDm0oRQuVZtVuoELfu1leJrhxlkvW4CNh1YHQlAI5NOrIosSImk0pMjqeRGoKz4q0Qi8DpORr_FzSj0QUU9-Ezc_WhbvHk3CHKrNYh0j1FTo8vmsETHFGHCjNeX97LKExe9rbMZ-Nbmc2ZxzTLvoJYAhCn9j5nIGjRFRWbUS-gK0DcY6-3Ih0ai3bmyYVBRv1W7jIS7jTrVV3NbyVW6E89Hj6f385N60P7bh5wg0w_KREpSq2hUvAWAW3J1nLGDRxczFN5wpdhM-cDjy98q3ifHsFR7iF0gvHIm0lMCU4mAUEmW4qFOFpO1j-gPuqaaWAMz_JIWWo-oWP8NUEbZV39arHhL6ocQUYyMSlXKkphEshkA5ILg_o__R4Mh81im6BItB2kgPDJTrAEMy5nsgHXYuaFgOK7rR15QFeZAb9UejAykDTqcfVxD2TG_M1ywqmCYosQa1D0itifMNIA5TmKDmaYE2xu2QfFA1qWZu0irA7nBEHmbe=w1000-h667-no

17Mikkel Bjerg (Denmark)0:02:16
Of08u5HMPkZiSesXwbxD2apUwtUqWMIhnsL79Su5J2Ch4IhJc4UgOs9r--fzCmFbYh0dmReCeSWRBl75vCuCAgnH6yxvRYqNxkochdIV6vLBzkacl7eusyketeSIQLPGWcO4PfwnSruVnLiVacN8efC4RM5tXE3v-IsEY_C7vTr9ImPHFes6qKE2kRRTX340ltqWc4NcLn1heOQz566Z8cPenA-XErdQLyNQXSWU1URcF0zAMU-aJTobwrF4Y4lslS6FhUM4b3xKfvIk004Cp2JxfBvylQOTrICId6UOP86TyFDM6ZZaYPMPnXbByKNkM7EVQNcp6OB7uto4CLr6u5Khz-w1CjKnwjksZM5aPn_AcG8XzmuZnhQSW8EoJu82tzYZJqPYRhrJBHHytCHBUcWj2CM_oCrYlcB9xKlgr0MGP8IlK0805gQ41JYQxdEpJxUzDiJ3y-CEqRVpdcMRmFP-_P0YJsukRs5SvwYcJydjdbCyILzTiLc08vuBCv3WzQowbuHARZUVtExOXdd89tpgyBaeHTtq8ShPnFi9_AkmBdkkdQOgXV3DqY4Sbvr-s6I5WHalLZY87Vf46h-VqkrQKR1ePoBrPzrHx_KuB_pcHSfSWeiDvRtZp-Hz4erRLyOzIIzz3GEV6YxPqV7l7F-fsW7mLJcKEiILvRZqxzi3GqXMP7xDP3c-1avqAlnSrIqi7E1X8mqB49yOCXbmHiVz=w1000-h666-no

16Daniel Bigham (Great Britain)0:02:11
Perfect aero tuck all the way:
Th-nCcpLx51KzIPizZtqZFLUOz36RybNEyp27HVkyWVIpTyjBcavGwNaJCxA-FfyS1p-3XD4ncJ7eqVAGjsgn4tTZ97rFylQ_sMUzVy1ha5ReEB7T4T6XfiInl7eJ9xpENejHc1R3PPXEx5OuopkSRcVUQcfXw32jLpsDZwTAVH3BROHfRJuj3N_I9dlcTDqqjb9ZcIsM2BdODIezkehsH0u90iJ1znJD45sUk0WUnnbJCNXahTJg4FhlyqQ234vcOFW4utNr_fDSNHODvASHLpFDXmb0cwnDd8eeQfgM7a-EVPry37BWPYlEl3uvTEv1pKUUP1GL7rj9-rN6n4BUNs37nWEF_w9-BsWoSks1gFRY-wITw5_Nge7LB6BzSrFVE2rbbViz5JEavU8u_4952M2_eGo1YhCbltinz-cTIzFAgx8tGGZ5O3ADFMf69VO9nLzS2YyI_Ep4FBS7WQwP8sJMwllIEBrZViwfwZC20zCdYhCQBpnFmzSNf06CfrTy0Kx-h0JQeV2tzAkWywBgmMbjao5ctquTGZ-BASUzrBsnNE3Ms9iehhvmT6fClTi214BQFmkN--8sADhAolNLAzZea7_k3f5ys-xv-ayYGcD-sfUjvlM_hZBqu2EXRP_7tBVmerg69mjTkuvcJAqYiZtK8hxvVuZTp_m9-kFz0HA42sGuHVMOn6lI9dWb6SaG39e4FTC7rpsrNLfyKWw8JDK=w1000-h667-no

TRENDING THREADS