• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2021 World Championships in Flanders - Time Trials

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Double beers are a little better than two regular beers. I could have given the best four beers instead, but I just feel like there isn't a full beer between the riders in terms of abilities.

Now I've decided to edit it anyway, cause those double beers actually looks smaller than the other ones.

But if double-beers are better than two beers, that would mean that your biggest favourites are those who get a beer and a double-beer :banana:

But if double-beers are better than two beers, that would mean that your biggest favourites are those who get a beer and a double-beer :banana:

Yes, but now I have changed the system, so that double beers are worth less than two regular beers, because they are smaller in size, resulting in one beer and a double beer being inferior to three regular beers.
If you have been playing the women's prediction game, you would have known that I change the rules all the time :D

• Haha
Reactions: Valanga
Wait, what? Lack of concentration is like a text book example on how people react in situations like that. The commentator was clearly affected by CAS' passing the day before - he even said so himself at the very beginning - and for obvious reasons he didn't have time to prepare himself for the broadcast.

If the examples I mentioned had something to do with preparations, I would not have mentioned them. In fact, I would not have mentioned anything if I felt that his errors had to do with the recent occurences.

This commentator has many years of experience, even with cycling, but I have never been impressed by him, at least not as a live commentator. Among other things because he makes obvious mistakes like the ones I've mentioned.

Look, I recognize that people have different views on what is right to do after tragic events. Some think we should turn off the TV, others that we should only say positive things for weeks after it happened. It's understandable, I guess, but I'm against imposing this opinion on other people and attempting to limit what they should say.

So Walscheid posted his ride on Strava, he did an average of 456W for almost 50min.:oops:https://www.strava.com/activities/5986157703
I know that he's a huge guy and 90kg heavy, but those are still monster numbers. Probably only Ganna can come close to that/beat that, he did 460W for just over 30min in actual TTs at the age of 20...

Yeah, I think Ganna could have pushed even bigger average wattage yesterday (my guess is 460-480 w range). Not sure about Van Aert, who is lighter and more aerodynamic than Ganna (likely around 450 w).

This is a great number for such a light guy. About 6.3 w/kg for almost 50 minutes. And in a TT position it's harder to push peak wattage, isn't it?

Yeah, I think Ganna could have pushed even bigger average wattage yesterday (my guess is 460-480 w range). Not sure about Van Aert, who is lighter and more aerodynamic than Ganna (likely around 450 w).

This is a great number for such a light guy. About 6.3 w/kg for almost 50 minutes. And in a TT position it's harder to push peak wattage, isn't it?
Yeah, Remco's w/kg in the ITT are outstanding.
I remember Malori posting that he did just over 440W for 62min when he finished 2nd n the WC ITT (while being 75kg).

Look, I recognize that people have different views on what is right to do after tragic events. Some think we should turn off the TV, others that we should only say positive things for weeks after it happened. It's understandable, I guess, but I'm against imposing this opinion on other people and attempting to limit what they should say.
You do you. I'm not trying to impose anything on you.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
Most in the top 10 between 70-75kg will have done between 420-450 watts, Ganna will have done around 30 more (minus 2-3 for rim brakes :D )

I am a very happy rider if I get 2 minutes at 400 watts... :cool:
Yeah, here are Ganna's numbers from the 2016 u23 EC ITT, at the age of 20:
U23-TT-Numbers.png

You can say a lot about Ganna, but in the end his engine is just out of this world. Only Saronni could manage to almost ruin him...

Yeah, Remco's w/kg in the ITT are outstanding.
I remember Malori posting that he did just over 440W for 62min when he finished 2nd n the WC ITT (while being 75kg).
Lot of these massive dudes do watts in a TT that make you think they should be a decent climber on an unipuerto stage tbh, but it's like many of them just fall off a lot even after a few hours of just sitting in a peloton.

Lot of these massive dudes do watts in a TT that make you think they should be a decent climber on an unipuerto stage tbh, but it's like many of them just fall off a lot even after a few hours of just sitting in a peloton.
Yeah, that has always been a bit strange to me. Often they are the ones who have to keep the breakaway in check, but some of them just can't climb, despite their crazy wattages in TTs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I would say most of them are just too heavy so they lack in the W/kg category?

The few that are light and can TT very well are those like Evenepoel who have done their aero homework.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I would say most of them are just too heavy so they lack in the W/kg category?

The few that are light and can TT very well are those like Evenepoel who have done their aero homework.
Even most of the big tanky dudes can do like 5.8W/kg for 40-50 minutes, which is a lot higher climbing level than you'd expect from riders with a lifetime subscription to gruppettos.

It must be noted that these ITTs are entirely at sea level which is impossible for climbs of such duration.

TRENDING THREADS