• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 10: Pescara – Jesi 196 km (Tuesday, May 17th)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I honestly think he has a better chance this year than any other year because some people are still going to sleep on him. Noone is going to look at him. He just needs to survive, noone is faster than him is surviving that parcours. He needs incredibly strong legs that days and also a lot of luck but it's definitely not impossible. I'm not remco'ing him, I usually don't even like his type of rider, but he's just really really good.

Wout is possibly faster than him tbf and he'll survive it.

There was a lot of joking about MVDPs cork incident on Stage 1, but I thought at the time it was a valuable lesson for anyone watching never to unscrew the cap of a champagne bottle whilst pointing it anywhere dangerous in case the cork pops straight off. He was very lucky it hit his shoulder.

If the cork fired straight at his eye, Girmay could very easily lose his sight in that eye permanently unfortunately.

It's very rare for the cork to fire out in this manner (when taking the metal cap off), so twice in 10 stages raises questions about what was done by the organisers after the incident on Stage 1. I'm not sure anyone involved cottoned on to just how dangerous it was.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Wow. VdP was swinging his bike like a madman but he gave up at the end! His watts were not enough, what a finish by Girmay. He has potential to become one of the best one-day racers of this decade. Will he keep his eye or is there some hope for VdP, WVA and co?
Watching the last 9km it clearly was well managed by Wanty, except for several mistakes they overcame: losing Girmay on the left turn at 6.5 followed by Yate's attack that drew MVP could have been the end if they'd continued to work. The GC guys would not. Then, Wanty's lead out evaporated at 500 meters and the pack all sat.
When Girmay went; MVP was a little boxed off of the turn but seemed to come back. After his big effort it actually looked like Girmay had dropped another cog and increased pace....MVP just flat seized up at that point. The team got him to 500 meters but it was all him to the line!
If he keeps winning he should insist on a sabrage champagne de-corking!

Reactions: jmdirt
I think I remember one of the coaches at Wanty saying in some article about him that he has a lot of room to improve technically in the sprints, so you may well be on to something there.
I don't think it's quite as easy to do the same power if you're more aero though. Also I'm not super sure it's easier to do high W in a flat sprint, as muscle recruitment is a little different and this was a very fresh sprint as it was led out by Pozzovivo. Still super impressive considering Bini is pretty damn lightweight for a sprinty boy.

Darn, he celebrated so much that he injured himself. Hope he can continue

Biniam Girmay captured an historic victory at the Giro d'Italia as the first Black African rider to win a stage at a Grand Tour on Tuesday in Jesi. However, the celebrations abruptly ended after he injured his eye on the podium.
It has been reported that a cork from the post-race celebratory podium champagne bottle hit Girmay and injured his left eye.

Darn, he celebrated so much that he injured himself. Hope he can continue

Biniam Girmay captured an historic victory at the Giro d'Italia as the first Black African rider to win a stage at a Grand Tour on Tuesday in Jesi. However, the celebrations abruptly ended after he injured his eye on the podium.
It has been reported that a cork from the post-race celebratory podium champagne bottle hit Girmay and injured his left eye.

Didn't MVP take a cork to the eye as well? It's clearly a hazard; maybe some precautions should be taken.

FS-yLq4WIAEG4Ny

I was just watching the video of the incident, that cork really flew at light speed, out of nowhere.

View: https://twitter.com/Eurosport_NL/status/1526589654933417985

Last edited:
Just watched the finale. What I don't really get is all the griping about MVDP's attacks. I mean, I get it. Yes, he might have lost the stage because he attacked with 4k or whatever it was, and it was a bit of a long shot. But my take on that is THANK THE CYCLING GODS that we have attacking racing! Is he "dumb" to have attacked? NO! There were attacks going on all around, and so many great riders were attacking, including GC guys and old farts! It's such a blessing after years of teams like Postal, Sky, and even Jumbo grinding GT racing into the ground, to have this kind of course and these kind of riders. I'm so glad for this generation that just goes out there and races to win, a generation that takes risks, takes chances, and makes the sport fun to watch.

Incredible sustained speed and power from Girmay. Remarkable. A fantastic win against a great field on a beautiful course full of opportunities. Wonderful. And loved MVDP's thumbs up salute. Made it all the more worthwhile to have an ATTACKING champion like him tip the hat.

Wonderful stage.

Congratulations to Biniam Girmay Hailu for winning the stage.

It was a great stage to watch. Wasn't expecting for sprinters to get dropped so early and after to see around 50km of great racing. Carapaz, Landisimo, Yates, the Shark of Messina ... all giving it a proper try. Would certainly be a great one day race too. If approached like that. Must say that van der Poel presented some class. When he seen Girmay will take it. To let it go and to rather pay respect before the finish line. He didn't win the stage but you win fans doing it like that. Things like Carapaz covered in hay and Girmay being shot in the head with a cork. Most entertaining.

Reactions: spalco
Just watched the finale. What I don't really get is all the griping about MVDP's attacks. I mean, I get it. Yes, he might have lost the stage because he attacked with 4k or whatever it was, and it was a bit of a long shot. But my take on that is THANK THE CYCLING GODS that we have attacking racing! Is he "dumb" to have attacked? NO! There were attacks going on all around, and so many great riders were attacking, including GC guys and old farts! It's such a blessing after years of teams like Postal, Sky, and even Jumbo grinding GT racing into the ground, to have this kind of course and these kind of riders. I'm so glad for this generation that just goes out there and races to win, a generation that takes risks, takes chances, and makes the sport fun to watch.

Incredible sustained speed and power from Girmay. Remarkable. A fantastic win against a great field on a beautiful course full of opportunities. Wonderful. And loved MVDP's thumbs up salute. Made it all the more worthwhile to have an ATTACKING champion like him tip the hat.

Wonderful stage.
To me, part of MVDP's appeal is his unpredictability and willingness to do what others are not willing to do. Thinking back a couple years to one of his first elite classic wins at Amstel Gold, when he led the chasing pack solo for quite a few kilometers to bridge an unbridgeable gap to Fuglsang and Ala and flew right by them as they were marking each other in the final hundred meters.

TRENDING THREADS