• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 14: Santena – Torino 147 km (Saturday, May 21st)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Before the giro started I was super hyped on this stage. But after 2 weeks of poor racing I am very much afraid that this stage will suck as well.

Probably just hours of watching a few guys in the break. In terms of excitement it kinda feels like a Vuelta where I am a bit fed up after watching too much cycling.
It should be fine but GC wide I think it's pretty much attacks on the final climb and then a descent finish.

The past four days I hardly watched, because the second Tuesday to Friday is always a dud. (I only watched a summary of Ghirmay's win, and saw Thursday's finish between work in the garden.)

However the final nine days is when the Giro usually gets exciting. Tomorrow guys like Mollema, De Gendt etc. might have another go at a stage win, but GC action is also possible. Three short, steep climbs and technical descents in the final provide opportunities. The pink jersey might change shoulders.

could be a great stage, but the tour de france weather somehow makes the race less appealing.
That's because a weather patern of hot air from Africa has moved into the Med and will remain for some time, evidently. Temps are 10 degrees celsius above the norm right now. As far as tomorrow's stage goes, the descents could prove as decisive as the climbs, of which there are over 3000 meters. The last weak of this Giro is a beast and at least the weather should not prevent mountain pass cancelations.

I don't understand why people see a bad giro. Imo it's way more fun to watch when the race isn't done after stage 7.

If someone is ahead there will not be conservative racing no, but also it rarely changes the result in my very humble experience of only watching 5 other GT. I have only seen a couple of boring stages in this race.

And remember: Landa is still on his bike. So far all GT I have seen Landa in that has not happened ;):joycat:

And no serious injuries from crashes in sprint stages. When did that last happen?

The fact that the mtf on stage 15 is a rather easy one gives me hope that riders won't be afraid to attack tomorrow, but then the fact that a stage like this comes before a high mountain stage, regardless of how hard its final climb is, makes me angry anyway. I'm hoping for the best but I'd not be the least bit surprised if nothing happens both here and on stage 15.

Nibali by two minutes.

The fact that the mtf on stage 15 is a rather easy one gives me hope that riders won't be afraid to attack tomorrow, but then the fact that a stage like this comes before a high mountain stage, regardless of how hard its final climb is, makes me angry anyway. I'm hoping for the best but I'd not be the least bit surprised if nothing happens both here and on stage 15.

Nibali by two minutes.

A bit short stage, explosive and a few years late for two minutes. But a win is a win.

We're all putting way too much faith in him, but... Nibali to be discount Bardet for this stage and animate the race. Or getting dropped immediately, I don't know anymore.

I have high expectations for this stage, which, as the forum has taught me, is never a good thing when you actually want to have fun. Let's see if the Giro's redemption arc starts tomorrow.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Formolo, Mollema , Kamna, David de la Cruz all good shouts to go up the road

For real action we need someone who wants to attack and put the others under pressure
I cant really think of any GC guy to do that except Carapaz (who doesnt need to) or Naibali ( who maybe cant) and Bilbao ( who may not be given the green light)

Maybe Hugh Carty but he doesn't like the heat just like S Yates who alsp has a bad knee ('it is reported' as Matt White put it and he should know))

Maybe Bora will put on a show ? Or maybe not

Reactions: Sandisfan