• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 17: Ponte di Legno – Lavarone 168 km (Wednesday, May 25th)

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Do you think Landa of 2015 would be in pink today?
2015 Landa would put 1 or 2 minutes on Carapaz and Hindley in at least one stage of the race. And his acceleration was more violent than since then.

Watch 2015 mortirolo and how Landa climbs. He didn't feel the chain, he was totally calm , and dropping Aru. Today he was grimacing and all over the road, a lot uglier style.

I still have massive respect for him though, I really hope he wins the Giro, because he is the one who is fighting the most.

Landismo vive

2015 Landa would put 1 or 2 minutes on Carapaz and Hindley in at least one stage of the race. And his acceleration was more violent than since then.

Watch 2015 mortirolo and how Landa climbs. He didn't feel the chain, he was totally calm , and dropping Aru. Today he was grimacing and all over the road, a lot uglier style.

I still have massive respect for him though, I really hope he wins the Giro, because he is the one who is fighting the most.

Landismo vive
2015 Landa ….. says it all. Aru wasn’t that great. I suspect Landa of 2022 is stronger than 2015 it’s just that the competition is stronger hence the grimacing.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know...I've never understood the "let's wait for the final mountain stage to attack" tactic and I feel like it is mostly used because of riders not willing to get out of their comfort zone and not because it's a good tactic. Let's say when Carapaz, Hindley and Landa were on their own, Hindley attacks but it turns out Carapaz is actually much better, counters him and Hindley loses a big chunk of time. So what?

If Carapaz is indeed much stronger he will find out on the Fedaia anyway and then knowing Carapaz is the superior climber would only be good for him right now. He would know he can either concentrate on defending or try to attack from further out to catch Carapaz off guard.

But even more importantly, what if Carapaz isn't stronger? I don't know exactly how much Hindley would need on Carapaz to hold him off in the TT but if he wants to feel confident about winning it's probably over half a minute. If Hindley turns out to be stronger than Carapaz what are the odds he actually drops him by over half a minute? People tend to forget how hard that is over one climb. How often do you think the best gc rider managed to finish over half a minute in front of the 2nd best gc rider in last years giro? Precisely zero times. Remember stuff like Quintana dominating Blockhaus in 2017? He finished 24 seconds in front of Pinot and Dumoulin.
If Hindley is actually stronger than Carapaz, by now he has actually made it extremely difficult for himself to win.
Hindley dropped 6 seconds in the opening ITT. Carapaz isn't a good TTer by any means, especially not hilly ones.

Judging by Almeida blowing up on the ridgeline I guess it was enough to make Hindley reconsider leaving it all on the climb. Landa also had Poels with him, so he would have to hold 3 guys off.

TRENDING THREADS