• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 2: Budapest – Budapest 9.2 km ITT (Saturday, May 7th)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Honestly........ not that impressive of a prediction. I'd me impressed if you topped it off with him winning, but SImon doing well or him "surprising" is not really much of a prediction. He has done super well in stages like these on other occasions.
He was the one even really mentioning him.

I think most pundits had like Almeida as one of the main favorites today.....

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
A very interesting TT in and of itself, but as many others have suggested, I think that it gives us very little clue as to what's ahead as far as the general classification is concerned (the race will mostly be decided in the high mountains, and even the final TT will probably be more about fatigue). Valverde has slightly less chance for a podium now, Buchmann too (so increased chance for Kelderman and possibly Hindley). Landa's chances increase fractionally simply because he hasn't crashed yet. But so far we're pretty much at a Manuel point ("I no nothing").

I'm not even sure if Yates good position in the standings actually improves his chances from pre race, since if he is on top form now, then he's unlikely to hold it for three weeks. But we'll know a little bit more after Tuesday.

Seriously, what are your expectations for this guy?
Unless he is another Pogacar nothing is going to happened. If he does great he gets to be top 10. But by saying going under the radar are implying that he could win? otherwise what is the point anyway.
Additionally, he needs to work for Carapaz.

Well, what I didn't expect was a top 5 finish in this ITT. And by under the radar, I really meant that nobody seemed to have commented or remarked upon it. Of course, I expect him to be riding for Carapaz in the mountains (because climbing is supposed to be his thing), but I think that this TT performance marks him out as someone with GC potential for the future.

Reactions: jmdirt
Well, what I didn't expect was a top 5 finish in this ITT. And by under the radar, I really meant that nobody seemed to have commented or remarked upon it. Of course, I expect him to be riding for Carapaz in the mountains (because climbing is supposed to be his thing), but I think that this TT performance marks him out as someone with GC potential for the future.

I expect Adam Blyth will mention him around fifty times today.

In La Movida podcast they mentioned him. It was a very impressive resume for juniors. But having said that, like I said, he can only be top 10 if he does excellent. And that's a big if because there is Carapaz. But people are noticing him big time. Especially anglophones podcasts and news outlets. So I don't think he is under the radar if that's what you mean.

TRENDING THREADS