• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 20: Belluno – Marmolada 168 km (Saturday, May 28th)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm thinking more like 2001.

stage13.jpg
Too soft. Gimme Duran, Staulanza, Giau, Falzarego before Fedaia.

Reactions: Fantastico
I was just taking the constraint of having the stage finish location unmodified. Giau would still be useful to get rid of the Keldermans of this race.
Giau is just Kolovrat +1000m tbh. But I think especially with strategies like slowpacing the influence of altitude can hammer domestiques much harder.

Another interesting bit about a stage in the dolomites isn't just how high the climbs are, but also how high the valleys are. I think a single climb at high altitude doesn't matter that much,

Reactions: Sandisfan
After three dull mountain stages this one still has the potential to be interesting. One attack can decide the Giro. Three Dolomite giants should be enough to separate the top 3. Carapaz did drop Hindley twice before, but allowed him to come back. Maybe he can drop him a third time on the Fedaia. Landa needs to attack on the Pordoi if he still wants to win the Giro, but he'll need a super day for that.

Now let's hope the RAI will be capable of showing the race even if it rains - unlike last year.

Don't think Landa will risk much, now that he is finally in position to grab another podium, after all of his ups and downs. Carapaz and Hindley have been evenly matched throughout the race. Unless altitude plays a part , I don't see much happening to split the top 3. Nibali doesn't care about 4th places so he might try something. I think it will come down to the TT as it has threatened to for most of the latter part of the race and the freshest legs will probably win the overall.

After three dull mountain stages this one still has the potential to be interesting. One attack can decide the Giro. Three Dolomite giants should be enough to separate the top 3. Carapaz did drop Hindley twice before, but allowed him to come back. Maybe he can drop him a third time on the Fedaia. Landa needs to attack on the Pordoi if he still wants to win the Giro, but he'll need a super day for that.

Now let's hope the RAI will be capable of showing the race even if it rains - unlike last year.
Unlike like last year it's not up to RAI.

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
Those final two mountain stages were among the greatest days of racing of the decade though. Whatever happens, this weekend will not be able to match that. But yes, if tomorrow is somehow epic this Giro will rank close to that Tour given that we've had one excellent day so far (not quite on the magnitude of those Tour stages though).

This Fedia stage does not hold a candle to the Agnello, Izoard, Galiber stage. Highly doubt we'll ever see a stage like that again with the modern race directors

I hope we get a GC fight for the stage win
Hopefully not. That would mean 4 kilometers of gc action on Fedaia. Yeah.

Frankly I don't see anybody being able to run a Perez Cuapio like escape. Ciccone doesn't have the shape. Neither does Carthy. Even though his 2019 Tour of Switzerland stage win was the closest we get to Rasmussen day long breakaways nowadays. Buitrago? Arensman? Guys like Hänninen or Sepulveda are not suddenly coming alive on the penultimate day of the Giro d'Italia either.

I've got zero expectations. Which means I can only be surprised.

TRENDING THREADS