• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 20: Belluno – Marmolada 168 km (Saturday, May 28th)

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I only blame the organizers to an extent here and the lack of a mid-race TT was a far bigger problem than the mountain stage design IMO. Like I can't really blame anyone for Blockhaus ending in an uphill sprint, and both Aprica and the Slovenian stage were good terrain for an attacking-minded rider. Unfortunately Bardet and Yates either retired or dropped off the pace early, so whoops.
Yates seems to have trouble finishing grand tours and Bardet was unlucky to get sick in the best form he had shown for quite a while in grand tours.

Reactions: Carols
How much below level was he given this?

FT2zAcFXsAIxyS5

Reactions: JosefK
Incredible: Ineos had it in the bag, gets bored like all the people in this forum and decides to explode the race, taking a massive shot in their own feet. Would pay to listen to the talks in the team today. Did Carapaz told them he was feeling good? The cycle is complete, Movistar voodoo revenge is done, and now they will hire a mentally destroyed Carapaz for their circus. Good times coming.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Incredible: Ineos had it in the bag, gets bored like all the people in this forum and decides to explode the race, taking a massive shot in their own feet. Would pay to listen to the talks in the team today. Did Carapaz told them he was feeling good? The cycle is complete, Movistar voodoo revenge is done, and now they will hire a mentally destroyed Carapaz for their circus. Good times coming.
I think Carapaz is tough mentally, he'll get over it.

I don't get the thing about Hindley not attacking. He put in his only real sustained attack of the race and that combined with Kämma's pace was too much for Carapaz.
Hence why I insisted that the stage design has to be blamed. Because if Fedaia is the penultimate climb, chances are high Hindley celebrates a super dominant victory on top of Pordoi.

Also the Leipheimer comparison obviously was a hyperbole. Though, Levi won the 2011 Tour of Switzerland with a quite similar move on way to Malbun. Also rode Ullrich & Georg Totschnig off his wheel on Rettenbachferner in 2005!

I am surprised there's quite a few people who feel the finale delivered. It was decisive, because it is Fedaia, but it also didn't really feel like great racing. The only offensive moves we really had out of the GC bunch were Martin and the sort of half kick Carapaz and Hindley did before joining Kamna. Other than that it was a bit of INEOS pacing that dusted everyone and then largely just a collapse.

i dont buy carapaz being ill, if that was true they would not put tulet and monsieur sivakov on the front to pull for him, he was also first to attack, it looked like he just bonked because he didnt just lose time, he completely shat the bed...in the end formolo was trying really hard not to pass him in the finish

I was mostly joking about this, but it's possible to not realise your body isn't where it should be because it's in the early stages of fighting something off. Time Trial will be telling tomorrow

Reactions: Sandisfan
Didn't really attack in the 2020 Giro, didn't really attack this race either as Carapaz was dropped while Kämna was still on the front. One of the most negative GC riders I've ever seen, and you can go back through my post history to see I didn't criticise his tactics in the Torino stage.
Yeah. But to be fair, it weren't really Taos own attacks either then, with Dennis working like a locomotive.

I'm not gonna say Hindley doesn't deserve this. That would be too harsh. If they put Fedaia first, followed up by Pordoi and Carapaz loses 2 minutes it's more defining. So partly Vegni is the one to blame too

BUT

It wasn't even his own attack, but Kämna working hard that blowed Carapaz. I've seen Levi Leipheimer doing more attacks than Hindley. And the American wasn't really well liked as a rider.

This really was Bardet's golden chance to win a GT. Too bad he fell ill. But things like these happen.

Almeida absolutely deserved to win this Giro d'Italia. Even if it would have been lame like 2002 Savoldelli. If not for Covid-19, they really would've needed to show something in order to distance the Portuguese before the final TT.

Hindley now was the best of the rest. Maybe he gets a bit too much negativety based on how disappointing this stage has been. That's unfair. Especially since like I said, reverse cols and it's a very dominant display.

Hindley saved his cartridges & opened fire today. It was deliberate. Bardet would have been nuked along with the rest as well.

It's also not about attacking like a mad dog (Guillaume Martin style), it's about making those attacks stick. That was a Slovenian watts output from Hindley today, no doubt, & it'll always smash the opposition when distilled at the right moment.

Carapaz did make a mistake in following the initial attack (as he did with Pogacar in Le Grand-Bornand stage of last year's Tour), but his collapse afterwards was as much physical as it was psychological. That was Hindley's huge success today. Physical achievement combined with the destruction of Carapaz's morale.

Anyway I'm still buzzing. It's always a special moment when young riders who we've been following for a few years fullfill their potential. Both Hindley & Lennard Kämna as well fulfilled their promise in this Giro in spectacular style IMO.

Hindley saved his cartridges & opened fire today. It was deliberate. Bardet would have been nuked along with the rest as well.

It's also not about attacking like a mad dog (Guillaume Martin style), it's about making those attacks stick. That was a Slovenian watts output from Hindley today, no doubt, & it'll always smash the opposition when distilled at the right moment.

Carapaz did make a mistake in following the initial attack (as he did with Pogacar in Le Grand-Bornand stage of last year's Tour), but his collapse afterwards was as much physical as it was psychological. That was Hindley's huge success today. Physical achievement combined with the destruction of Carapaz's morale.

Anyway I'm still buzzing. It's always a special moment when young riders who we've been following for a few years fullfill their potential. Both Hindley & Lennard Kämna as well fulfilled their promise in this Giro in spectacular style IMO.

Agree. The stage itself was completely dull though and obviously devalued Hindley's performance based on some reactions.

Reactions: Rackham