• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia, Stage 20: Belluno – Marmolada 168 km (Saturday, May 28th)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, I understend where you're coming from on longer climbs, we need variation. A MTF on Bondone for example would be really cool.
About really steep climbs, it depends. If they are only really steep near the top and used as a MTF I agree. But steep near the top and a downhill finish or and easier climb afterwards is different. It's also different if the really steep part comes right at the start.

And yes, Pampeago is part of the Dolomites and you can do great stuff with it, if you don't just use in as a MTF.
Funnily enough, they actually got it paved in 2012, just to never use Reiterjoch again!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Only now get to write something about yesterdays stage and the thing that I'm really wondering about is whether Carapaz' implosion would have happened without Kämna. I'm certain Carapaz was already suffering after Hindley's original acceleration but it took a few minutes from that until he actually dropped and I can absolutely see a scenario where Hindley just gives up after his first attack doesn't drop Carapaz. Maybe he would have tried again a bit later and dropped Carapaz then but who knows if he could have gained nearly as much time. I don't want to join in on the collective sh*tting on Hindleys passive tactics but it's honestly hard not to do. It's just difficult to imagine him being so much better than everyone else only today. Surely he could have tried earlier? I suppose it was enough anyway but he basically had to rely on a complete meltdown by his main rival on the final 3 km.

Speaking of his main rival, that was one of the most embarrassing tactical performances I have ever seen and I couldn't be happier it happened to Mr. Marginal Gains and friends. Bahrain was setting a false pace, Hindley was perfectly happy to let that happend and then Carapaz, with the lead and two helpers remaining but on a bad day, decides to blow up the race. Like, even if Hindley was planning to use Kämna to attack Carapaz anyway, good luck Lennard destroying a group of 20 riders after spending your day in the break. This entire collapse was self inflicted and while I feel a little sad for Carapaz seeing Ineos lose this way makes me genuinely happy.

Having watched most of the giro, I have to say that yesterday's stage while good at the end and the Torino stage are not nearly enough to save this Giro. I feel a bit dead inside after it. As bad a giro as I can remember. At least the forum provided some entertainment. RIP 2022 giro.
(There's a tt remaining but frankly, my dear, I couldn't give a damn.)

Bardiani being the wildcard team with the best stage results is a bit of a surprise to me, I wouldn't have guessed that one.
Eolo have a podium with Albanese, Rosa holding the KoM jersey for a few days and Forunato getting a 15th place on the gc (yesterday he was the 5th best rider from the gc group, he got better during the Giro).
Androni-Drone Hopper only had Tesfatsion, everyone else seems to be a lot worse in gts than normal, mainly Cepeda.

Reactions: gunara
Having watched most of the giro, I have to say that yesterday's stage while good at the end and the Torino stage are not nearly enough to save this Giro. I feel a bit dead inside after it. As bad a giro as I can remember. At least the forum provided some entertainment. RIP 2022 giro.
(There's a tt remaining but frankly, my dear, I couldn't give a damn.)
It was a privilege to complain with the lot of you

Bardiani being the wildcard team with the best stage results is a bit of a surprise to me, I wouldn't have guessed that one.
Eolo have a podium with Albanese, Rosa holding the KoM jersey for a few days and Forunato getting a 15th place on the gc (yesterday he was the 5th best rider from the gc group, he got better during the Giro).
Androni-Drone Hopper only had Tesfatsion, everyone else seems to be a lot worse in gts than normal, mainly Cepeda.
The Androni Drones won two classifications!

TRENDING THREADS