• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2022 Giro d'Italia: Who is going to win? Third rest day poll.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2022 Giro d'Italia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
FTb9d88XsAM6LrB

FTb9eDJWAAAVVGT

Carapaz because of the last time trial, so he only needs to keep up with Hindley.

I wonder, since I never realized how bad a descender Almeida is, did something happen to him, or does it happen in situations, when he's already at the limit physically?
He did struggle descending in Emilia and Torrino last year as well. Got times back at the climbs every time. It was the first time I noticed that pattern. But I've seen him struggle in finishes with lots of twists and turns on the flats as well. I still hold the idea that he's a bit slow to respond in general.

But I agree he's probably closer to his limit as I haven't seen him wiggle like that before?

Lovely to see you btw! <3

Reactions: BR2 and Sandisfan
Ofcourse I want Nibali to win but I fear its not gonna happen with his typical bad luck

Its a 2 horse race between Carapaz and Hindley for me, and I guess I slightly favor Carapaz here but that can also be thinkful wishing

Would love Landismo, but I have 0 belief in Landa. Nor Almeida for that matter
It's a shame that after what we saw on 2015-2017, i also have had no belief in Landa simce 2018 despite being such a fan

We are in for some anthology stuff here. Bahrain and Nibally will attack in every penultimate climb trying to gap in descents. Bora and Ineos will try to control attacks and go to the classic dispute in the final kms. Almeida will follow trains and close gaps. It will depend on whoever explodes, and many will. Voted with heart on Almeida but this is the most unpredictable GT in years.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He did struggle descending in Emilia and Torrino last year as well. Got times back at the climbs every time. It was the first time I noticed that pattern. But I've seen him struggle in finishes with lots of twists and turns on the flats as well. I still hold the idea that he's a bit slow to respond in general.

But I agree he's probably closer to his limit as I haven't seen him wiggle like that before?

Lovely to see you btw! <3

Yeah, I think you might be right. I rewatched those races and also the Stelvio descent from the 2020 Giro and his descending skills aren't that bad. He even spent some time on the supertuck position. What we saw on saturday was not normal from him, so my hopes are still high.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Landa has gotten to his preferred terrain without dying or losing ten minutes because his bike exploded. It's time for Landissimo
Have seen this movie before and the ending is often frustrating..........he may never get a better chance to at least make another podium. No Slovenians or Bernal should help. Something tells me that one of the top four riders will crack in the final week.

After what I saw from Almeida last year, being arguably the best climber last year, I'm confident. He is a massively smart rider, pacing himself great through the stages, I guess he is doing the same through the GT as well. Carapaz is still favorite, but Almeiida is close second now for me.

I voted for Almeida.

I have the feeling he has been holding off. If he can climb like in the 3rd week of last year Giro, they won't be able to catch him. If all goes well he can reach the TT already in 1st.

That being said, he faces several problems and hazards now that he showed his unbeknowst weaknesses:
#1 rain & fast descents;
#2 a all or nothing Nibali in his last season;

Almeida reminds me of Cadel in some ways. Strong time trialist, dogged and under rated climber. Although Cadel was definitely a better descender. Would be pleasantly surprised if Almeida could hang tough in the remaining mountains and pull this off in the final TT.

Head: Carapaz (Ineos look like they are saving themselves?)
Heart: Landa (2015 is a long time ago)
Patriotism : Hindley (looks fantastic)
Dark horse: Almeida
Vino: Nibali

TRENDING THREADS