• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 Vuelta a Asturias (2.1) (29 Apr - 1 May)

Rush thread. The race is on

Top Competitors

Stage 1

altimetria-etapa1-1024x428.jpg

Stage 2

altimetria-etapa2-1024x427.jpg

Stage 3

altimetria-etapa3-1024x427.jpg

Reactions: claude cat
Seems odd to pick out García Cortina from the Movistar lineup in this race, you'd have thought Iván Sosa was a much more obvious contender.

However, seeing as the nature of the finishes are fairly similar with only that stage 2's lead-in climb is a lot longer, given how easily Yates took this one you'd think he's a good bet to win the GC fairly comprehensively and, in all honesty, could take all 3 stages if he so wishes.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Seems odd to pick out García Cortina from the Movistar lineup in this race, you'd have thought Iván Sosa was a much more obvious contender.

However, seeing as the nature of the finishes are fairly similar with only that stage 2's lead-in climb is a lot longer, given how easily Yates took this one you'd think he's a good bet to win the GC fairly comprehensively and, in all honesty, could take all 3 stages if he so wishes.
Movistar's man for GC is Sosa. I guess PCS justs lists contenders sorted by ranking.

Albanese is really bouncing back at Eolo-Kometa. If he stayed at Bardiani it wouldn't surprise me if he had already retired...
Whole different rider.
It's mind blowing that he hasn't won a race since turning pro (yes, he won Trofeo Matteotti in 2016 but he was still an u23 riding for the national team).
With these climbing legs I think he is a dark horse for stage one of the Giro.

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
Whole different rider.
It's mind blowing that he hasn't won a race since turning pro (yes, he won Trofeo Matteotti in 2016 but he was still an u23 riding for the national team).
Yeah, Albanesee looked like an Italian Sagan in the u23 races, but at least Eolo-Kometa managed to bring him back on track.

Makes you wonder what a good team could get out of other Bardiani/ex-Bardiani guys such as Carboni and some of the talented young guys that turned pro with them like Tolio and Omar El Gouzi. Rota has also taken it to a whole different level since he left them.

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
Whole different rider.
I honestly don't know a lot of riders well enough to guess that stage but for me MvdP is just a massive favorite vs the entire field that I hardly think about dark horses.

True, but I'm sure a lot of people said the same about Amstel Gold Race.
This sort of effort, while fresh, is much more down to intrinsic ability than being in super great form. Amstel was based on the assumption that he was as good as in De Ronde. This is based on him just needing to show up in 60% form.

The field for that specific finish is also just really weak in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS