• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 Vuelta a Burgos (2/8 - 6/8)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Saving himself for when Remco needs him at the Vuelta.
Maybe Fausto is doing a 2014-2016 Nibali style Vuelta prep and he will be in a great condition. We can only hope. At the moment he is underwhelming.

Remco I don't know, I don't see how a guy who never finished a grand tour, and always gets dropped on big climbs, can win a grand tour. But I was wrong about him before. If he needs support fighting for the win, Fausto will be there for him

Maybe Fausto is doing a 2014-2016 Nibali style Vuelta prep and he will be in a great condition. We can only hope. At the moment he is underwhelming.

Remco I don't know, I don't see how a guy who never finished a grand tour, and always gets dropped on big climbs, can win a grand tour. But I was wrong about him before. If he needs support fighting for the win, Fausto will be there for him
It's not that bad, at least he finished 1m35s ahead of Landa.

Chapeau Tronchon. Strong and tactically astute. Easy to get bullied into sharing the work when you really shouldn’t when you are still wet behind the ears. I presume we will be hearing that he’s got a contract soon.

Agree. Sivakov on the other hand:

"I don't know... it wasn't fair on his part in my opinion. He still could have taken a few turns. I take the jersey, but I am a little disappointed not to take the stage as well because I wanted to win today (Thursday). After that, it's the race, that's how it is, even if it wasn't great on his part. But hats off to him anyway because he managed to stay on my wheel. Personally, I reassured myself and I showed that I was in a very good condition. I have rarely been in such good shape",

Agree. Sivakov on the other hand:

"I don't know... it wasn't fair on his part in my opinion. He still could have taken a few turns. I take the jersey, but I am a little disappointed not to take the stage as well because I wanted to win today (Thursday). After that, it's the race, that's how it is, even if it wasn't great on his part. But hats off to him anyway because he managed to stay on my wheel. Personally, I reassured myself and I showed that I was in a very good condition. I have rarely been in such good shape",

Silly, but I’m sure it’s hard to be objective when you get jumped by a guy who sat on your wheel.

Sivakov had to pull for the GC. The 20 year old trainee, in his first stage race, out of GC contention, who had been in the break all day, absolutely should not pull. Sivakov should probably have offered him the stage in return for helping extend the GC advantage. But you can’t plan to contest the stage and still expect a guy who knows you have to pull and has no GC interest to share the work. Unless he has rocks in his head.

The younger generation often won't accept to be gifted the stage in return for help anyway so I doubt Sivakov offered it. Perfect storm with Sivakov chasing GC and the chase behind pretty pathetic. Not sure it does Tronchon 's CV any harm, but likewise probably not much good either, it's generally seen as a hollow win saving it all for the last 100m.

The younger generation often won't accept to be gifted the stage in return for help anyway so I doubt Sivakov offered it. Perfect storm with Sivakov chasing GC and the chase behind pretty pathetic. Not sure it does Tronchon 's CV any harm, but likewise probably not much good either, it's generally seen as a hollow win saving it all for the last 100m.
He’s a trainee in his first pro race, what are you talking about. Why should he pull, great job staying on the wheel. Not a hallow win too, he won from the early break.

Considering Sivakov's pretty disastrous sprinting ability, it would have been nice if Tronchon had given a pull or two more than he did, just so Sivakov got a bit more time in GC for towing him to a stage win. But realistically, the only time it made any sense to pull was after the final climb, which he did a little bit.

In the end, Sivakov was in the exact reverse situation to that which Rodriguez found himself in at Basque country.

Considering Sivakov's pretty disastrous sprinting ability, it would have been nice if Tronchon had given a pull or two more than he did, just so Sivakov got a bit more time in GC for towing him to a stage win. But realistically, the only time it made any sense to pull was after the final climb, which he did a little bit.

In the end, Sivakov was in the exact reverse situation to that which Rodriguez found himself in at Basque country.
A savvy negotiator would have said he would not sprint if Tronchon helped him. Maybe he did.