• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2022 Vuelta a Burgos (2/8 - 6/8)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almeida building up form so looking a strong contender for a Top 3 in La Vuelta. Still amazes me how he climbs, he looked like he was on the verge of being dropped through out the entire last climb and still managed to drop them one by one and finish it against a looking good Superman
Strava should be very interesting today.

That said, I think he overperforms on steeper/irregular climbs because of this strategy because I suspect a lot of riders tend to have >2000 VAM stretches on climbs with steep pinches and these turns of speed aren't very good for overall climbing performance.

He'll probably kill it on Sierra Nevada though

Strava should be very interesting today.

That said, I think he overperforms on steeper/irregular climbs because of this strategy because I suspect a lot of riders tend to have >2000 VAM stretches on climbs with steep pinches and these turns of speed aren't very good for overall climbing performance.

He'll probably kill it on Sierra Nevada though
The steeper gradients also suit his climbing at your own pace style more because at the lower speeds you don't benefit from drafting, so following attacks becomes pointless.

The steeper gradients also suit his climbing at your own pace style more because at the lower speeds you don't benefit from drafting, so following attacks becomes pointless.
Yes.

And in cases where there's longer flats inbetween steep pinches where the group in front of you is actually drafting at >30km/h with domestiques pacing while you're eating wind because you refused to over 420W 1 minute earlier.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Why change the habit of a lifetime?
I guess its more fun that way, but when you have won 2 races throughout the year (Im talking about Astana, not Lopez!), you might wanna try to win the races youre actually capable of winning.

Of course, Lopez could channel his inner Santi Perez and take off on Sierra Nevada, gaining multiple minutes, and winning the Vuelta, but my bets are he gets pulled due to his business with the Medellin-cartel, throws a tantrum because Nibali is riding well or gets DQ'ed because he wasn't too fond of a random spectator and decided to live up his nickname.

Reactions: Monte Serra
How accurate are 4 minute Strava segments for VAM? I'm asking cause Van Wilder uploaded and his ride has a 4 minute 2200 VAM segment in the first half of the final 3km, only to go like 1570 VAM after that.
As accurate as the computer being used I guess. Sivakov's showed that as well. To be honest, I think Rodriguez massively overdid it pace wise and Sivakov felt obligated to follow, hence a few guys having super high VAM while in the wheel of the front group then dropping at the end. Sivakov and MAL then massively paid for it at the end imo.

Reactions: Sandisfan