• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta a España stage 7(Carmago-Cisterna), 190km medium mountain

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BORA have already made it clear on previous stages that the jersey is a goal for them, and that they are marking Pedersen closely. But if he ends up getting into a decent sized break with a BORA rider in his wheel, they might not want to use the rest of the team to hunt it down with two mountain stages to come.
Yes, they said that they want to target the green jersey. The thing is that as best Bennett will have half of his team to support him with that target. Keldermann, Higuita and Hindley are going for GC. Fabbro, Koch, Mullen and van Poppel are there for domestiques duties to support 4 leaders. (Bennett, Keldermann, Higuita and Hindley)

The profile promises interesting dynamics.
Heterogenous breakaway, struggle on the climb, yo-yoing all they long... if the mix is right.
However, they could've put the finish line less far from the top of the climb in order to encourage attackers... about where the sprint is.

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch
A profile that sparks the imagination. It depends on the field. If they are all more or less good for now. Or if Evenepoel would like to have more or others for him to have less. I don't feel it's unreasonable to expect some GC action. If successfully executed likely involving the breakaway.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ilmaestro99
A profile that sparks the imagination. It depends on the field. If they are all more or less good for now. Or if Evenepoel would like to have more or others for him to have less. I don't feel it's unreasonable to expect some GC action. If successfully executed likely involving the breakaway.
It would be stunning if anyone tried to go on the giant climb so far out. Plenty of stages in which to grab time without such a long drag to the finish while teams chase you down. You gotta figure Jumbo will have enough guys over the top to chase anyone down. It would be an all or nothing gambit. I don’t see it.

A profile that sparks the imagination. It depends on the filed. If they are all more or less good for now. Or if Evenepoel would like to have more or others for him to have less. I don't feel it's unreasonable to expect some GC action. If successfully executed likely involving the breakaway.

Do you actually feel this way about the stage?
I mean it's a worse version of the 2011 Bilbao-Vitoria stage. The only way there can be GC action is if the red jersey is being gifted to someone in the break.

San Glorio is up there with El Purche as the hardest non-MTF climb in this Vuelta.
Unipublic placing the finish 60km away from the end of the short descent is the joke.
It took ages to have it on the race. It will take ages to have it playing a significant role.
Serves as a good transitional stage though. I dont really have a problem with it tbh. Much rather include it then dont, and have a totally flat stage!

Clipboard.jpg

looking ready in red

Reactions: Ilmaestro99