Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta route rumors

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 15, 2015
And the live astreaming showed for a full moment the full map of Vuelta '22. Thus in the last week Penas Blancos, 2 days later Sierra Pandera, next day Sierra Nevada and then up in direction of madrid with thePiornal and Nevacerada. No Angliru in the first week before the large transfer to Alicante (time trial)

Reactions: Sandisfan
So, going through the route...

We already knew the first three stages, I'm going to take this opportunity to complain about the TTT again, though. I really could do with my country hosting 0 GT starts for at least a decade.

Stages 4 and 5 are decent, both have a strong chance of being reduced bunch sprints though. In fact, that's what happened on the previous double Vivero stage.

Stage 6 is good as a first mountain stage, no complaints there.

Stage 7 at least has potential to be something, could also be a freebie for the breakaway though.

The Asturian mountain stages are terrible. First of all the MTFs are in the wrong order, moreover the run-in for Fancuaya in particular is laughable, a running theme for this year's race, more so than usual.

Normally I'd complain about the TT being too short if it's the only one and just 30 kilometres, in this case it isn't even that disbalanced which really says it all.

Valverde's farewell and the only inclusion of Murcia comes as the start of the easiest stage between the Netherlands and Madrid, I don't even like the guy but that's just shameful.

I don't mind the Peñas Blancas stage in isolation but unipuerto MTFs not followed by GC days are lame.

Then another day with no categorised climbing, at this point everyone will have fallen asleep and there's more bad stuff to come. Maaaybe there's some decent ramps hidden in the false-flat to the finish?

The laziest set of mountain stages ever in the third weekend, Unipublic have evidently tried to break the record for least climbing in the first half of a week of GT stages. Still, Sierra Nevada should be decent.

Another day without any categorised climbing to open the third week, if they replicate the 2017 finish at least the end might be spicy.

The Tentudía stage is a waste, breakaway with sprint of the elites 15 minutes behind.

The Piornal stage the day after makes for the least GC-relevant back-to-back MTFs in history, a murito midway before two mid-length low-gradient non-altitude climbs is almost useless.

The Talavera stage is very random and again very breakaway-friendly.

The Navacerrada stage is actually good tbh.

The Madrid parade is the sixth stage with no categorised climbing. Let that sink in.

All in all, this route takes the main flaws of the Vuelta and makes them the centerpiece of the design while removing the things this race used to be good at and ignoring the best parts of this year's race. 2/10, a contender for the worst GT route of the 21st century. Guillen and co need to go.

Scrolled through it. Looks utterly Vuelta.

Kinda need to look at the specific profiles of the MTFs, but I don't think they went overboard on the Esp cats.

Sierra Nevada after Hazallanas is a double edged sword. I like it better than finishing at Hazallanas, but that stage should just be a good queen stage and many of the routes problems are forgiven.

I like Navacerrada. One thing I'll give the Vuelta is they're doing an okay job not making the final mountain stage a functional Unipuerto most of the time?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Scrolled through it. Looks utterly Vuelta.

Kinda need to look at the specific profiles of the MTFs, but I don't think they went overboard on the Esp cats.

Sierra Nevada after Hazallanas is a double edged sword. I like it better than finishing at Hazallanas, but that stage should just be a good queen stage and many of the routes problems are forgiven.

I like Navacerrada. One thing I'll give the Vuelta is they're doing an okay job not making the final mountain stage a functional Unipuerto most of the time?
The good thing is that Sierra Nevadda comes right after the la Pandera MTF.
Stage 5 would be cool, but it comes right before the first MTF.
The final mountain stage is good, they should have turned it into a Bola del Mundo MTF to troll us and to go full Vuelta.

The good thing is that Sierra Nevadda comes right after the la Pandera MTF.
Stage 5 would be cool, but it comes right before the first MTF.
The final mountain stage is good, they should have turned it into a Bola del Mundo MTF to troll us and to go full Vuelta.
Pretty much.

The Vuelta can seemingly be relatively okay balanced just by picking mostly poor MTFs. But this one is lacking too much in any medium mountain stage or descends to make anything happen. No really big stages on the biggest MTF either. I would've vastly preferred Ragua or Haza del Lino before Monachil > Hazallanas and then finish in Granada or on Cumbres Verde. That alone woudl be massive.

ASK THE COMMUNITY