Vuelta a España 2022 Vuelta route rumors

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There are trains that go from Granada to Madrid in about 3h30, just 1h more than from Leon, but the station would be closer to the stage finish. The problem might be not having trains with a departure time late in the evening. But evacuation of the finish is much easier in Sierra Nevada and the road trip from stage finish to Madrid for the team cars and buses and the race caravan is about the same distance.

Actually, they did a transfer from Andorra in 2018 that surely was more challenging than a potential transfer from Sierra Nevada and I believe riders travelled by plane from La Seu d'Urgell.

Anyway, 18-Valve. (pithy) was suggesting having Sierra Nevada on Friday and a mid mountain stage on Saturday. That would be much easier.

Finally, there's a detail that I don't know if it was picked up by the audience during the route presentation. The stage on the 6th of September HAD to depart from Sanlucar de Barrameda, and that sets a constraint to the route in the 2nd and 3rd week if they want to visit Extremadura, Andalucia, Murcia and Alicante. History nerds migth be interested in looking for what happened in Sanlucar de Barrameda on the 6th of September 499 years ago.
Might depend on how practical getting those trains is as you say, and more for the logistics of the race caravan than the riders. Andorra will have been a bigger challenge, no doubt. Presume that would have had to be chartered aircraft as well. I'd actually prefer they do a Granada descent finish, especially if they're climbing through Hazallanas and Las Sabinas, they could descend into Granada on the A-395 and maybe have the uphill finish at the Alhambra, and that would make things much easier - would have to follow on from something like La Pandera or La Ragua or Calar Alto on stage 19 I guess, as you'd need a finish hard enough that Sierra Nevada wouldn't scare the action out of the riders.

Reactions: Sandisfan
A lot of MTFs and most of them will be decided in last 2-3 km unfortunately. The second week will be decisive: ITT and Pandera+Nevada combo. Sierra Nevada from this side is quite a monster: a few kms of double digit gradients (Hazallanas) followed by a more regular but steep enough (7%) climb to make further differeneces.

So the Vuelta received dispensation to invite three wildcard teams... and then proceeded to leave out Caja Rural (and Uno-X which is unfortunately less surprising).
Very understabable they pick 3 spanish teams, but Im surpriced they dropped Caja Rural. They definetly have a better team than Burgos , but I am glad Equipo Kern got a ticket instead, Their team is the most interesting of the 4 teams.

Reactions: Sandisfan

ASK THE COMMUNITY