• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023-25 Emerging Riders CQ game

It is time once again to consider the young riders who will be household names in three years time, but have thus far only given slight hints of what might follow. So slight, that they have, in their entire career to date, scored fewer CQ points than Mauricio Moreira got from the Volta a Portugal this year (i.e. under 200 points).

To enter the game, pick 18 such men, and send their names (preferably in CQ format) to me by PM at Cycling News or VeloRooms* by 23:59 on 13th January (I had said 14th elsewhere, but that would mean I have last minute entries for this and the Women's CQ game simultaneously, and I might get my spreadsheets terminally entangled). There is a list of those who either have scored CQ points in the last 3 years but are short of the 200 point total (or haven't scored yet, but are on a WorldTeam or ProTeam or the development team for one in 2022 or 2023) but it is huge: many entrants prefer to use their own hunt or wait until there is a list of eligible riders from the main season-long game which will be posted in this thread around 8th January. (Now posted, reply 15 below)

Your score in the game will be the total CQ points garnered by your selection by the end of 2025, so it is a game of patience: the winner of the recently finished edition, which started in just before we first heard of Covid, was 20th at the end of Year 1, and 11th at the end of Year 2, and the lead changed in the last professional race of the third season (Tour of Langkawi). So don't despair if your selection does not triumph at the Tour Down Under in a few weeks.

I have already condemned the careers of 18 young men by selecting them for my team: I will share that with whoever is the first to send in their team (Edit: done, RHD has my list).

Please do not select riders who are only below 200 because they have had points deducted after a doping incident (I can't think of anyone to whom that would apply at the moment, but don't do it anyway, because someone more alert than I am to such things will probably grass on you).

Points and penalties are as given by CQ, unless their error is agreed here to be obvious.

And, as I usually remember to post when acknowledging entry to these games, thanks for joining in, good luck to whoever you select for your team, and enjoys the game and the net three years of racing.

*: the forum from which you submit your team will determine which team you will contribute to in the interforum challenge.

Last edited:
(or haven't scored yet, but are on a WorldTeam or ProTeam or the development team for one in 2022 or 2023)

Is that strictly speaking necessary?
If I'm not mistaken, then if someone had taken a wild shot with Evenepoel back for the 2018-20 game, a full year before he signed with Quickstep, he would already have provided them with a decent amount of points by the end of that game, even though he didn't score any CQ points in 2018 (CQ doesn't count Junior points?)
It seems he would also have been available for free for the 2019-21 game, and then of course for the recently finished 2020-22 game he was already way above budget!

And I think I have come up with a plan. Yes, I'm gonna try my hands with - mainly - planning things!

Of course you can choose someone who isn't signed to a team, and/or is not on the CQ database yet. Heck, you can put me down if you want to, as I have less than 200 points, and I won't do worse than some picks do every time, although my racing calendar for 2023 is very limited. That very long list of names is mainly for running the game, but it is there as a way of checking that you have the correct version of the name or verifying eligibiliy, or even for running your eye down to see if anyone comes to your attention.

But it is very much the opposite of a shortlist, so I admit it is probably not useful to anyone else.

Yes, of course they can. But I am not going to scour the listings of every conti teamline up to lift names to put in my spreadsheet.

To clarify: you can pick anyone at all who has, as of 31/12/22 a lifetime total of no more than 199 CQ points, regardless of what level of team they ride for, if any, in 2022 and 2023. And if you are wise, you will pick 18 such people who are likely to gain a good amount of CQ mens points over the next three years. (rather than, for example, your neighbours or fellow forumites, who would also be eligible)

You might wish to ignore what I said about the spreadsheet: it probably isn't that helpful, and if you really want some tips, wait until the list of eligible riders who have been picked in the Main Game is available.

Reactions: MabelMabe
May 17, 2022
Visit site
Yes, of course they can. But I am not going to scour the listings of every conti teamline up to lift names to put in my spreadsheet.

To clarify: you can pick anyone at all who has, as of 31/12/22 a lifetime total of no more than 199 CQ points, regardless of what level of team they ride for, if any, in 2022 and 2023. And if you are wise, you will pick 18 such people who are likely to gain a good amount of CQ mens points over the next three years. (rather than, for example, your neighbours or fellow forumites, who would also be eligible)

You might wish to ignore what I said about the spreadsheet: it probably isn't that helpful, and if you really want some tips, wait until the list of eligible riders who have been picked in the Main Game is available.
Thanks, I will keep it in my mind.

Last edited:
I was thinking 'member (of) parliament', and was rather impressed they'd do stuff like that.

Wasn't it you who once got a team submission delivered literally at your home? But presumably not by a member of parliament.
It was indeed: Amis Velo is a local friend, and has given entries through the door and at the pub. He is not a Member of Parliament, but would like to consider himself a Master Plumber.

Always an extra level of rivalry when I compare my scores with his on any update.

I've entered for the first time. I found the picks to be surprisingly obvious. For my initial selection I only managed to find 24 serious candidates for 18 places (in another game I've had more than 150 candidates for 30 places). We'll see if that's a sign of my competence or ignorance, though the waiting period for the answer will be pretty long for that type of game. ;)

So here is the "cheat sheet": the riders that have been picked for the main 2023 CQ game that are eligible for this game. So if you are totally stuck, you could just find 18 names from among these and you will have riders that at least someone else has considered capable of a decent season.

But first some warnings:
  • The main game players are not as wise as you might want to hope: last year Kevin Vauquelin, Sandy Dujardin, Anton Charmig, Axel Laurance and Sylvain Moniquet, all in the best possible 2022 team in the 2022-24 edition of this, were all ignored by every single one of the main game players, and the team made up of the most popular eligible main game picks in that edition is a long way behind our Collective Wisdom team there.
  • Points earned in 2022 are a disincentive to picking in the main game, but not here (with the obvious proviso that they don't include his 200th career point)
  • Here we are looking to what will happen up to late 2025, but the main game players do not need to look beyond the end of this season.
That being said, here are those names
ABREHA Negasi Haylu
ARDILA ORDOÑEZ Andres Camilo
ARRIETA LIZARRAGA Igor
ARVAI Kristof
AZPARREN IRURZUN Enekoitz
AZPARREN IRURZUN Xabier Mikel
AZURMENDI SAGASTIBELTZA Ibai
BAILEY Barrington
BALDERSTONE ROUMENS Abel
Ballerstedt Maurice
BALMER Alexandre
BARRE Louis
BAUDIN Alex
BERHE Welay Hagos
BEVILACQUA Simone
BITTNER Pavel
BLIKRA Erlend Jordbrekk
BLUME LEVY William
BONNEU Kamiel
BRENNER Marco
BURATTI Nicolo
BURNETT Josh
BUSATTO Francesco
CAMPRUBI PIJUAN Marcel
CANAL BLANCO Carlos
CHAMPION Thomas
CHRISTEN Jan
CLYNHENS Toon
COSTIOU Ewen
CROCKETT Finn
CURRIE Logan
DAVIS Corey
DE POOTER Dries
DE WILDE Gilles
DINHAM Matthew
DRIZNERS Jarrad
DURAN Alejandro Antonio
EDVARDSEN-FREDHEIM Stian
ETXEBERRIA ZAFRA Asier
FANCELLU Alessandro
FITZSIMONS Mitchel
FLYNN Sean
FRETIN Milan
FROIDEVAUX Robin
GAROFOLI Gianmarco
GAUTHERAT Pierre
GAZE Samuel
GEE Derek
GEORGE Dylan
GERITS Vince
GERMANI Lorenzo
GLOAG Thomas
GOIKOETXEA GOIOGANA Peio
GRANGER Ben
GRANIGAN Noah
GREGOIRE Romain
GRONDIN Donavan
GRUEL Thibaud
GUDMESTAD Tord
HAGENES Per Strand
HAILEMICHAEL Mulu Kinfe
HARVEY Dean
HAYTER Leo
HECHT Gage
Heiduk Kim
HEINSCHKE Leon
HELLEMOSE Asbjørn
HEMING Mika
HERZOG Emil
HESSMANN Michel
HOLLYMAN Mason
HUISING Menno
HUYS Branko
HVIDEBERG Jonas Iversby
IRIBAR JAUREGI Unai
ISIDORE Noa
JOHANNESSEN Anders Halland
JOHNSON Cooper
JONES Taj
KOGUT Oded
KOLZE CHANGIZI Sebastian
KOPECKY Matyas
Kulset Sindre
LAMPERTI Luke
LAPEIRA Paul
LE BERRE Mathis
LECERF William Junior
LEITAO Iuri Gabriel Dantas
LEMMEN Bart
LEONARD Michael
LIPOWITZ Florian
LOPEZ CUESTA Joseba
LÜHRS Luis-Joe
LUND ANDRESEN Tobias
MARTINEZ Lenny
MAYRHOFER Marius
MCGILL Scott
MERTENS Julian
MIHKELS Madis
MIHOLJEVIC Fran
MILESI Lorenzo
MORGADO Antonio
MOVCHAN Andriy
NIERI Alessio
NØRTOFT Morten Aalling
NYS Thibau
ONLEY Oscar
OSBORNE Jason
OSORIO CARVAJAL Alejandro
PALENI Enzo
PALETTI Luca
PARET-PEINTRE Valentin
PATTERSON Zakk
PEDERSEN Rasmus Søjberg
PEÑA JIMENEZ Jesus David
PEÑALVER ANIORTE Manuel
PENHOËT Paul
PERRY Toby
PERSICO Davide
PICKERING Finlay
PIGANZOLI Davide
PITHIE Laurence
PLOWRIGHT Jensen
PONOMAR Andriy
POOLE Max
PORTER Rudy
PRICE-PEJTERSEN Johan
Pronskiy Daniil
PUPPIO Antonio
QUICK Blake
RACCANI Simone
RANGEL COSTA Vinicius
RETAILLEAU Valentin
REX Laurenz
RICCITELLO Matthew
RODENBERG MADSEN Frederik
ROLLAND Brieuc
ROMEO ABAD Ivan
ROMO OLIVER Javier
RONDEL Mathys
RYAN Archie
SALBY Alexander
SANCHEZ MAYO Pelayo
SCALCO Matteo
SEGAERT Alec
SERRANO RODRIGUEZ Javier
SEXTON Tom
SHMIDT Artem
SIMMONS Colby
SLOCK Liam
STEINHAUSER Georg
STOCKWELL Oliver
STORK Florian
SVESTAD-BAARDSENG Embret
SVRCEK Martin
SYRITSA Gleb
TARLING Joshua
TERCERO LOPEZ Fernando
THOMPSON Reuben
TOUMIRE Hugo
TRONCHON Bastien
UMBA LOPEZ Abner Santiago
VACEK Karel
VADER Milan
VAN BEKKUM Darren
VAN DEN BOSSCHE Fabio
VAN DIJKE Tim
VAN EETVELT Lennert
VAN HEMELEN Vincent
VAN MECHELEN Vlad
VANDENABEELE Henri
VANDEPITTE Nathan
VERCHER Mattéo
VERGALLITO Luca
VERMAERKE Kevin
VERRE Alessandro
WILKSCH Hannes
WOOD Harrison
ZIJLAARD Maikel

Jan 11, 2023
Visit site
It is time once again to consider the young riders who will be household names in three years time, but have thus far only given slight hints of what might follow. So slight, that they have, in their entire career to date, scored fewer CQ points than Mauricio Moreira got from the Volta a Portugal this year (i.e. under 200 points).

To enter the game, pick 18 such men, and send their names (preferably in CQ format) to me by PM at Cycling News or VeloRooms* by 23:59 on 13th January (I had said 14th elsewhere, but that would mean I have last minute entries for this and the Women's CQ game simultaneously, and I might get my spreadsheets terminally entangled). There is a list of those who either have scored CQ points in the last 3 years but are short of the 200 point total (or haven't scored yet, but are on a WorldTeam or ProTeam or the development team for one in 2022 or 2023) but it is huge: many entrants prefer to use their own hunt or wait until there is a list of eligible riders from the main season-long game which will be posted in this thread around 8th January. (Now posted, reply 15 below)

Your score in the game will be the total CQ points garnered by your selection by the end of 2025, so it is a game of patience: the winner of the recently finished edition, which started in just before we first heard of Covid, was 20th at the end of Year 1, and 11th at the end of Year 2, and the lead changed in the last professional race of the third season (Tour of Langkawi). So don't despair if your selection does not triumph at the Tour Down Under in a few weeks.

I have already condemned the careers of 18 young men by selecting them for my team: I will share that with whoever is the first to send in their team (Edit: done, RHD has my list).

Please do not select riders who are only below 200 because they have had points deducted after a doping incident (I can't think of anyone to whom that would apply at the moment, but don't do it anyway, because someone more alert than I am to such things will probably grass on you).

Points and penalties are as given by CQ, unless their error is agreed here to be obvious.

And, as I usually remember to post when acknowledging entry to these games, thanks for joining in, good luck to whoever you select for your team, and enjoys the game and the net three years of racing.

*: the forum from which you submit your team will determine which team you will contribute to in the interforum challenge.
Thanks for the list of those who either have scored CQ points in the last 3 years but are short of the 200 point total.

About 48 hours to go (although if you post in the early hours of Saturday UK time you'll get away with it, so realistically about 56 from the timestamp on this post) on this one, so that I have a chance to process it all before any last minute rush on the WWT game 24 hours later.

24 teams so far, with 88 riders selected, 36 of them unique but 4 on more than 80% of teams.

Reactions: postmanhat
So here is the "cheat sheet": the riders that have been picked for the main 2023 CQ game that are eligible for this game. So if you are totally stuck, you could just find 18 names from among these and you will have riders that at least someone else has considered capable of a decent season.

But first some warnings:
  • The main game players are not as wise as you might want to hope: last year Kevin Vauquelin, Sandy Dujardin, Anton Charmig, Axel Laurance and Sylvain Moniquet, all in the best possible 2022 team in the 2022-24 edition of this, were all ignored by every single one of the main game players, and the team made up of the most popular eligible main game picks in that edition is a long way behind our Collective Wisdom team there.
  • Points earned in 2022 are a disincentive to picking in the main game, but not here (with the obvious proviso that they don't include his 200th career point)
  • Here we are looking to what will happen up to late 2025, but the main game players do not need to look beyond the end of this season.
That being said, here are those names
ABREHA Negasi Haylu
ARDILA ORDOÑEZ Andres Camilo
ARRIETA LIZARRAGA Igor
ARVAI Kristof
AZPARREN IRURZUN Enekoitz
AZPARREN IRURZUN Xabier Mikel
AZURMENDI SAGASTIBELTZA Ibai
BAILEY Barrington
BALDERSTONE ROUMENS Abel
Ballerstedt Maurice
BALMER Alexandre
BARRE Louis
BAUDIN Alex
BERHE Welay Hagos
BEVILACQUA Simone
BITTNER Pavel
BLIKRA Erlend Jordbrekk
BLUME LEVY William
BONNEU Kamiel
BRENNER Marco
BURATTI Nicolo
BURNETT Josh
BUSATTO Francesco
CAMPRUBI PIJUAN Marcel
CANAL BLANCO Carlos
CHAMPION Thomas
CHRISTEN Jan
CLYNHENS Toon
COSTIOU Ewen
CROCKETT Finn
CURRIE Logan
DAVIS Corey
DE POOTER Dries
DE WILDE Gilles
DINHAM Matthew
DRIZNERS Jarrad
DURAN Alejandro Antonio
EDVARDSEN-FREDHEIM Stian
ETXEBERRIA ZAFRA Asier
FANCELLU Alessandro
FITZSIMONS Mitchel
FLYNN Sean
FRETIN Milan
FROIDEVAUX Robin
GAROFOLI Gianmarco
GAUTHERAT Pierre
GAZE Samuel
GEE Derek
GEORGE Dylan
GERITS Vince
GERMANI Lorenzo
GLOAG Thomas
GOIKOETXEA GOIOGANA Peio
GRANGER Ben
GRANIGAN Noah
GREGOIRE Romain
GRONDIN Donavan
GRUEL Thibaud
GUDMESTAD Tord
HAGENES Per Strand
HAILEMICHAEL Mulu Kinfe
HARVEY Dean
HAYTER Leo
HECHT Gage
Heiduk Kim
HEINSCHKE Leon
HELLEMOSE Asbjørn
HEMING Mika
HERZOG Emil
HESSMANN Michel
HOLLYMAN Mason
HUISING Menno
HUYS Branko
HVIDEBERG Jonas Iversby
IRIBAR JAUREGI Unai
ISIDORE Noa
JOHANNESSEN Anders Halland
JOHNSON Cooper
JONES Taj
KOGUT Oded
KOLZE CHANGIZI Sebastian
KOPECKY Matyas
Kulset Sindre
LAMPERTI Luke
LAPEIRA Paul
LE BERRE Mathis
LECERF William Junior
LEITAO Iuri Gabriel Dantas
LEMMEN Bart
LEONARD Michael
LIPOWITZ Florian
LOPEZ CUESTA Joseba
LÜHRS Luis-Joe
LUND ANDRESEN Tobias
MARTINEZ Lenny
MAYRHOFER Marius
MCGILL Scott
MERTENS Julian
MIHKELS Madis
MIHOLJEVIC Fran
MILESI Lorenzo
MORGADO Antonio
MOVCHAN Andriy
NIERI Alessio
NØRTOFT Morten Aalling
NYS Thibau
ONLEY Oscar
OSBORNE Jason
OSORIO CARVAJAL Alejandro
PALENI Enzo
PALETTI Luca
PARET-PEINTRE Valentin
PATTERSON Zakk
PEDERSEN Rasmus Søjberg
PEÑA JIMENEZ Jesus David
PEÑALVER ANIORTE Manuel
PENHOËT Paul
PERRY Toby
PERSICO Davide
PICKERING Finlay
PIGANZOLI Davide
PITHIE Laurence
PLOWRIGHT Jensen
PONOMAR Andriy
POOLE Max
PORTER Rudy
PRICE-PEJTERSEN Johan
Pronskiy Daniil
PUPPIO Antonio
QUICK Blake
RACCANI Simone
RANGEL COSTA Vinicius
RETAILLEAU Valentin
REX Laurenz
RICCITELLO Matthew
RODENBERG MADSEN Frederik
ROLLAND Brieuc
ROMEO ABAD Ivan
ROMO OLIVER Javier
RONDEL Mathys
RYAN Archie
SALBY Alexander
SANCHEZ MAYO Pelayo
SCALCO Matteo
SEGAERT Alec
SERRANO RODRIGUEZ Javier
SEXTON Tom
SHMIDT Artem
SIMMONS Colby
SLOCK Liam
STEINHAUSER Georg
STOCKWELL Oliver
STORK Florian
SVESTAD-BAARDSENG Embret
SVRCEK Martin
SYRITSA Gleb
TARLING Joshua
TERCERO LOPEZ Fernando
THOMPSON Reuben
TOUMIRE Hugo
TRONCHON Bastien
UMBA LOPEZ Abner Santiago
VACEK Karel
VADER Milan
VAN BEKKUM Darren
VAN DEN BOSSCHE Fabio
VAN DIJKE Tim
VAN EETVELT Lennert
VAN HEMELEN Vincent
VAN MECHELEN Vlad
VANDENABEELE Henri
VANDEPITTE Nathan
VERCHER Mattéo
VERGALLITO Luca
VERMAERKE Kevin
VERRE Alessandro
WILKSCH Hannes
WOOD Harrison
ZIJLAARD Maikel

Thanks for this. I think I can easily find 18 names here that were in my long list for the main game. I’ll just go for those.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS