• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think, the Zoncolan itself is hard enough for a road stage itself. A MTT should be ridden on climbs with a gentle, yet not too little gradient, where draft still would be a factor in a road race. Therefore Etna, Piancavallo or so are quiet decent for a MTT.
But I think, the Giro has to decide different. This year wasn't great with reacing, but it was exciting due to the close gaps (at least in the Top4, until Almeida went out). Therefore I fear, that RCS will again put the most decisive ramp to the end, which invalidates racing before that.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think, the Zoncolan itself is hard enough for a road stage itself. A MTT should be ridden on climbs with a gentle, yet not too little gradient, where draft still would be a factor in a road race. Therefore Etna, Piancavallo or so are quiet decent for a MTT.
I think it's even better with gentler gradients. Something like Briacon - Sestriere in 2000 is close to an ideal MTT/mountainous ITT.

giro-d-italia-2000-stage-20-profile-19daab2a97.jpg

An uphill finish in Planica after either Virsic or the Wurzenpass would be nice.
I agree on Lussari, the only way it would work would be if the final stage in Trieste features a really hard circuit with Scala Santa, like the Torino stage this year. Having the race end with a road stage that is a gc stage and not just a parade stage would be something different.
Finish on Letalnica Bratov Gorisek please.

I agree and if they really want to use Montevergine just make it a Mtt.
Definitely. That way it turns a weak climb into something more. Zoncolan doesn't need it at all. On the other hand I also don't think it's terrible to make Lussari an MTT cause with that climb it's not like it otherwise would not have been an unipuerto road stage.

That said, placement is the most important issue with MTTs, and I think a big MTT on stage 19 or 20 may just be the single worst thing a route can have.

Definitely. That way it turns a weak climb into something more. Zoncolan doesn't need it at all. On the other hand I also don't think it's terrible to make Lussari an MTT cause with that climb it's not like it otherwise would not have been an unipuerto road stage.

That said, placement is the most important issue with MTTs, and I think a big MTT on stage 19 or 20 may just be the single worst thing a route can have.
I'd assume that it also put a damper on the preceding mountain stages in 1994, but it was still quite glorious then.

2025 Giro d'Italia could finish atop the Stelvio | Cyclingnews

There is a rumour, that the almighty Stelvio could be the finish (stage 21) of the 2025 Giro. (don't know how much to take out of it) If this is true the only nearby option to see the Stelvio until then would be 2023. It was used the last times in 2014, 2017 and 2020. The Giro loves this icon and I don't believe they would allow 4 years without the Stelvio.

I actually like the fact that the Stelvio from Prato was only used once every 10 years. I think it's was Libertine who was saying about climbs like the Stelvio, Ventoux, Bonnette ect bring rarely used 'mythical beasts', and them being used most years is not always good as the reputation of the climb won't be the same..
So do I, though I don't mind slighly shorter intervals than 10 years.

So do I, though I don't mind slighly shorter intervals than 10 years.
Yeah maybe 10 years is too much, and 15 years to see Stelvio from Prato was waaaay to long! But I don't want them to be overused and end up being like another La Planche des Belles Filles.....
And obviously, the ultimate rare mythical beast is the Colle Fauniera...

I guess it won't happen next year, but a dream finish of the Giro, would be if the Piemonte region and their towns and cities really splash some cash and pays for something like this:

Stage 18: Finestre followed by finish in Sestriere. They could gladly to at least Monceniso first.
Stage 19: Flat or hilly stage in Piemonte ending for example in Cuneo.
Stage 20: Cuneo/Pinerolo to Borgo San Dalmazzo via Valmala - Sampeyre - Fauniera - Madonna di Colletto
Stage 21: Last stage ending in Torino with a hilly finish similar to this year. Doesn't need to be as hard as this year though.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS