• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Have to put him ahead of Hindley for that which is a step too far for me
Idk, as good as Hindley was on the Fedaia, he really wasn't super impressive anywhere else and was originally dropped by Carapaz, Bardet and Landa on Blockhaus. Plus Thomas is a significantly better TT'er.

Am I convinced Thomas would beat Hindley in a straight fight? Absolutely not. But I think you can make a pretty good argument that Thomas is the overall better package of a gc rider.

Are we factoring in the likelihood of dropping out of GC early due to not being able to stay on the bike? Because that happens to Thomas literally every other GT. If we're talking about overall package, that should be factored in, IMO. Top-5 in terms of level in a GT that goes well is a different discussion, I'd say Thomas still cracks that on more TT-oriented routes, but not on more climbing-oriented ones.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Idk, as good as Hindley was on the Fedaia, he really wasn't super impressive anywhere else and was originally dropped by Carapaz, Bardet and Landa on Blockhaus. Plus Thomas is a significantly better TT'er.

Am I convinced Thomas would beat Hindley in a straight fight? Absolutely not. But I think you can make a pretty good argument that Thomas is the overall better package of a gc rider.
This is literally giving Hindley *** for a stage he won, but we can ignore Thomas dropping 40 s to Quintana on Granon.

In terms of gaps to other GC riders, Fedaia was absolutely gigantic and if you pretend Vingegaard and Pogacar didn't exist in the Tour last year, nothing Thomas did comes close.

The TT is the only thing Thomas has. He's also extremely crash prone, and most GTs don't have a lot of TT kms anymore.

I would blindly take Hindley in a H2H bet even on this Giro route with 70km of ITT

What happens when a rider is not on the betting list but it shows for sure that he is starting the race?
Strange that Santiago Buitrago is not in 2 lists that I checked. Maybe someone can bet 5 euros for me and split the money with me once he wins the Giro?:p
LOL.