• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro D’Italia Route Rumors

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
According to Tuttobiciweb, the second ITT will be in Emilia (I assume stage 10 or 11), probably flat.
Also according to the article the final ITT will be around 16kms, while the opening one will be around 20kms. That leaves room for a mid length ITT that is a bit over 30kms long.

Don't like 3 TTs. At all. It just wasts a stage to me. If stage a/bs were still a thing I could get behind mixing in short TTs outside the prologue.

Also don't like MTTs that aren't pure MTTs. If stage is too short find a different climb.
At least it's not like during the dark ages (the Moser-Saronni era) when they sometimes had 4-5 TTs and most of them just mid length...
Adding more TTs per Giro will also mean that Ganna will get closer to Moser's record of 12 ITT wins at the Giro quicker (Moser usually had at least 3 ITTs per Giro).

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
At least it's not like during the dark ages (the Moser-Saronni era) when they sometimes had 4-5 TTs and most of them just mid length...
Adding more TTs per Giro will also mean that Ganna will get closer to Moser's record of 12 ITT wins at the Giro quicker (Moser usually had at least 3 ITTs per Giro).
I'm starting to hate the obvious pandering.

At least 2009 or 2015 style TTs made themselves memorable. Hell even 2013 was a massive TT.

My preference is a longish prologue and a single big TT, preferably not too late. And then just cram in the massive mountainious boys.

If you must have 3 ITT's then you need high mountain stages scattered throughout the tour - For example, why can't the Giro be bold and have two high mountain stages in week one.
Yeah, the bigger problem is that besides Sicily there aren't many places in Southern Italy that are willing to pay big bucks for mountain stages. After the last Montevergine stage the town still hadn't payed them 1.5 years later...
If the 2nd ITT really takes place on stage 10 or 11 like rumoured we have ~50kms or even more of ITT before the high mountains and that is totally fine and should result in more offensive racing. I guess having more ITTs is a way to get around the UCI cap of average stage length and allows you to have more long road stages (ok, probably wishful thinking on my behalf, but at least that's always my reasoning for having multiple ITTs when planning a fantasy gt).

You can't include 70 kilometres of TT's any more, since the mountains don't create enough gaps any more with the current gearing to level it out.

That said less than 20 kilometers of TT's in a grand tour are beyond comical as well.

The Giro d'Italia used to do it properly for long years. Having a good, long TT and enough mountains to let it swing one direction or the other.

The 2020 Giro d'Italia still had a perfectly fine route that created a well deserved winner in Geoghegan Hart due to the final TT.

Dunno why Vegni has lost it that much the past editions.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You can't include 70 kilometres of TT's any more, since the mountains don't create enough gaps any more with the current gearing to level it out.

That said less than 20 kilometers of TT's in a grand tour are beyond comical as well.

The Giro d'Italia used to do it properly for long years. Having a good, long TT and enough mountains to let it swing one direction or the other.

The 2020 Giro d'Italia still had a perfectly fine route that created a well deserved winner in Geoghegan Hart due to the final TT.

Dunno why Vegni has lost it that much the past editions.
Just do a TT up a mountain :)

Reactions: staubsauger

TRENDING THREADS