• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d’Italia, Stage 20: Tarvisio- Monte Lussari, 18.6km MTT

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is the kind of climb where it's very beneficial to use gearing like Roglic used today and very surprising if not doing same tomorrow. Bike change maybe?

If Thomas goes with traditional gearing he prolly loses game there, because he's low grinder mostly and this climb is so steep for his weight, brobably cooks it over that way I'm afraid. Did Froome some special short gearing in his tt-rig back in the day when Jagger came second? Year?

Can't wait!
Surely bike changes by all the GC contenders is guaranteed? After what we saw in 2020 TdF. This looks very similar but an even steeper climb which is 1k longer than LPdBF.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I cannot believe Roglic is not favored to win il Giro. 25 secs is nothing on this climb. I also believe in this type of effort intrinsic w/kg and power etc is much more important than shape and freshness compared to real road stages. I remember Rujano popping up out of nowhere in the top of MTTs in his down years at Unibet and Caisse where he got sheltered out in the mountain stages.

It's basically a 30-37 minute effort. I think that type of effort hugely favours Roglic over Thomas.

Roglic also has perfect record in TTs under 49 km/h since THAT day on la Planche.

Bike change seems like a no brainer to me. Probably also slightly higher saddle height, but nose of the saddle pointing downwards and maybe moving the whole saddle a bit towards the front to prevent those who prefer climbing seated from sliding too far back on the saddle/having an inefficient pedaling angle.

Do you know of many pro riders changing saddle angles? I had never heard of this but saw this video on Pogacar couple weeks ago and apparently he does it quite aggressively.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6nTNiacm8

Primoz to pull a "Pogacar" on G
R.6353ea57b46e24ddea8399c86a1fbfdd

Do you know of many pro riders changing saddle angles? I had never heard of this but saw this video on Pogacar couple weeks ago and apparently he does it quite aggressively.

It's not usual, but different angles would really be beneficial if you ride on those super steep gradients seated. Maybe 1-2 test runs in serious training. Now of course I wouldn't suggest anyone to suddenly ride a full road stage with a different saddle angle because of the final climb, but for this TT it would be worth a go.

Reactions: jmdirt and Lui98

Well in general that's nothing new, remembering Tinker Juarez doing that when he was top xco dog and everyone was like ooh and ahhaa :cool: But yeah not looked that much how everyone is setting these up, but nose tilt is sure way to go in this route especially when doing bike chance it leaves you more optimised game to play.

Everybody knows I'm not the first guy to crap on a route but I have to admit that when I saw this stage and where it was placed in the race, I thought it was incredibly stupid. And it turned out to be the case. I think I understand a little bit better now why people pay so much attention to pacing of routes. I do still think that it's something that tends to be severely overestimated by some users but man has this race got it wrong...

At least I hope tomorrow will be a blast. The suspense certainly is alive. A Giro win is a Giro win, after all, I guess... Even this Giro.

Edit: Actually, I'm not going to be completely happy however this ends. Roglic and Thomas are probably the two top guys I like the most and it will end in heartbreak for one of them.

Last edited:
Yes the route of this Giro is most to blame for the lack of action. First serious mountain was stage 13. I too used to be excited by backended routes but this only discourages attacking by GC contenders to save energy for the finale.

Hopefully after tomorrow I feel better about this edition.

Bike change seems like a no brainer to me. Probably also slightly higher saddle height, but nose of the saddle pointing downwards and maybe moving the whole saddle a bit towards the front to prevent those who prefer climbing seated from sliding too far back on the saddle/having an inefficient pedaling angle.
I think the bike change is assumed and they put in several specific rules about the transition zone, length of push allowed, etc.

Everybody knows I'm not the first guy to crap on a route but I have to admit that when I saw this stage and where it was placed in the race, I thought it was incredibly stupid. And it turned out to be the case. I think I understand a little bit better now why people pay so much attention to pacing of routes. I do still think that it's something that tends to be severely overestimated by some users but man has this race got it wrong...

At least I hope tomorrow will be a blast. The suspense certainly is alive. A Giro win is a Giro win, after all, I guess... Even this Giro.

Edit: Actually, I'm not going to be completely happy however this ends. Roglic and Thomas are probably the two top guys I like the most and it will end in heartbreak for one of them.
Pretty much.

Just swapping these 2 stagse around would make a big difference.

TRENDING THREADS