• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d’Italia, Stage 20: Tarvisio- Monte Lussari, 18.6km MTT

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I feel that Ineos made a mistake in estimating that 30 s would be enough. Roglic is lighter than Thomas and would have the advantage. They needed 1 minute to be sure. They needed to attack him in the mountains when he was weak. In this TT also they made lot of mistakes that cost. The salt stains on his shorts indicate too much sweating which no other riders had. Did they over warmup? Then the leisurely change of helmet and bike. Considering 50 million budget that is not good. Finally Roglic did a Pogacar to Thomas here. Obviously teams/riders are doomed to repeat the same mistakes again.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia
Roglic really did an excellent TT, but what was up with Thomas and his sweaty salty shorts? Thomas had one of those ice vests on but still he was over doing it, or did he catch the bug going around the peloton? To still finish second was an achievement anyway (although he was only 2 seconds faster then Almeida).
What about the kid Riccitello? Is 21 but looks 14, and according to PCS weighs a grand total of 55 kg at 1.72m. Israel PT have him signed up until 2025 so they believe in him. Would not be surprised if a World Tour team took a liking to him though.

Bayern have been exorcizing their own trauma of the 1999 Champions League final ever since. So when I saw the headline yesterday (Bayern winning the title with a last minute goal), it seemed appropriate on such a day as we saw with Rog in the Giro.

I wouldn't say it's similar to Rog's victory. It was Bayern's 11th title in a row. Bundesliga is a banana republic league. No matter what Bayern do, the clown show with Kahn and Brazzo, the sacking of Nagelsmann, Neuer's ski tour... it was certain that Dortmund will bottle this. It's their history.

The T2-T3 split is insane.

Roglic, despite a mechanical and losing like 15 seconds thanks to that, still had the fastest split by far on there. I had been thinking earlier Roglic loves his negative split pacing strats, including on road stages where he simply doesn't pull full throttle if he has anyone on his wheel.

T2-T3
#START*RIDERTIME
117:11:00ROGLIČ Primož8.17
216:59:00PINOT Thibaut8.24
317:08:00ALMEIDA João8.25
416:14:00MCNULTY Brandon8.27
517:14:00THOMAS Geraint8.30

I feel that Ineos made a mistake in estimating that 30 s would be enough. Roglic is lighter than Thomas and would have the advantage. They needed 1 minute to be sure. They needed to attack him in the mountains when he was weak. In this TT also they made lot of mistakes that cost. The salt stains on his shorts indicate too much sweating which no other riders had. Did they over warmup? Then the leisurely change of helmet and bike. Considering 50 million budget that is not good. Finally Roglic did a Pogacar to Thomas here. Obviously teams/riders are doomed to repeat the same mistakes again.
Easy to say that now. Thomas did attacked him twice. First time he gained 25 sec and 2nd time he lost 3 sec.
On stage 16 Jumbo worked all day and everything was pointing that Roglic is feeling fine and wants to attack. The moment Thomas suspect he's not that great, he attacked right a way.
On stage 18 Roglic was on the offensive, Thomas couldn't do anything.
On stage 19, Roglic also on the move, but Thomas countered at the Flamme Rouge only to lose couple of seconds.
Only thing he could maybe did is forcing major selection on Giau, trying to tyre Roglic up, but in the process he would burn his team and become vulnerable to attacks of Almeida, Caruso, Dunbar etc,
Bottom line is that Thomas is aware what kind of rider he is. He knows he's not a Pogacar to attack whenever and wherever he wants. He knows he needs to play to his strengths which is consistency and endurance, and he did just that, but it was not enough.
And he also knew he was facing a rider which may show some weakness, but also may show up as an alien.

Congratulations to Primož Roglič for winning the stage in grand style and winning this Giro edition.

I wish i could congratulate earlier but i couldn't hold it together. During the day there was something magical in the air and on top of that we again got the full range of emotions. From the initial excitement, Rogla can really pull it off, to a moment when the chain dropped. All was over now. Dreadful silence. To believing again and Rogla pulling it through. Both the win and the loss were beautiful. Worthy champions. Giro was always at least partially about emotions. Hope that we gave something back. Building the Giro legacy. Beautiful edition.

Thanks to all involved and chapeau to all participants!

TRENDING THREADS