• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 5: Atripalda - Salerno 171 km (Wednesday, May 10th)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dog people are just wrong, have you ever seen a cat cause a crash in a peloton? Didn't think so.

In all seriousness, I said a while back that Evenepoel had had a stupid amount of luck the past year and a bit, but this is not the way I wanted it to run out. Really hope he's okay.
Well, Pantani crashed in 1997 on the descent of the Valico di Chiunzi because of a cat

guy crashes and stays down for a bit. why doesn't every rider get this sort of hate?

Why are you assuming I wouldn't say the same thing about any other rider that stays down 5 minutes straight sitting on his ass when there is close to zero damage? Dude was acting like the ref blow his wistle and the game stopped. Cyclists usually get up immediately (see Ballerini or the other QSs that crashed).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why are you assuming I wouldn't say the same thing about any other rider that stays down 5 minutes straight sitting on his ass when there is close to zero damage? Dude was acting like the ref blow his wistle and the game stopped. Cyclists usually get up immediately (see Ballerini or the other QSs that crashed).

Why do you assume that in that moment he doesn't have harsh pain ??

Reactions: glassmoon

You saw his crash then? You saw how hard he went down, what he hit, how bad it was? No, none of us did.

Diva knew, everybody would be waiting for him. Others don't have that luxury.

If you have no information on how hard he crashed, it's best to just say nothing. Ballerini skidded on a wet surface, Evenepoel may have crashed at lower speed but harder.

Weird comparison as I have never see Mathieu doing this, but no I don't like everything Mathieu does either.

55eb5942-4b2e-11e9-86a1-761b22fea39c_web_scale_0.0931414_0.0931414__.jpg

Reactions: F e r o x
Oh come on, obviously he wans't in a lot of paint. Probably a bit of panic yes, but still. Never seen anyone else just chill like that while he's a leader in a team.

Yes that's fair

The crash was not showed on TV from what I know. So how you can assume it was not hard ? On RAI they are saying he hit hjs knee. Also Yates one year ago crash, hit the knee and then ride again, but then had problems in that Giro.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine

Like 5 years ago, no idea where or when it was. And you're acting like I'm a VdP fanboy.

The crash was not showed on TV from what I know. So how you can assume it was not hard ? On RAI they are saying he hit hjs knee. Also Yates one year ago crash, hit the knee and then ride again, but then had problems in that Giro.

Yes I am indeed assuming he's fine based how he is just chilling on his bike right now, and also right after he stood up.

The point I was making btw wasn't that he definitely wasn't in any pain, it was that he didn't seem to even have the intention to stand up while normally cyclists, definitely leaders, immediately stand up as long as they're not feeling completely battered, and then they don't just continue lilke that afterwards.

I will stop commenting on it now.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Like 5 years ago, no idea where or when it was. And you're acting like I'm a VdP fanboy.
This was Nokere Koerse, when he had nothing but a minor scratch. He won Denain like two days later with a huge solo, lol. But fear not, there are plenty of examples. Mathieu is notorious for floor laying.

That being said, I did not say or imply you are a Mathieu fanboy. You did, however, state that Remco would be hated by every Belgian cycling fan if he wasn't Belgian. I ain't seeing the mobs go after Mathieu, who, in fact, is not Belgian. Though he does look and sound like one.

Last edited:
Reactions: F e r o x