• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 5: Atripalda - Salerno 171 km (Wednesday, May 10th)

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cadel Evans didn't win GC, but is certainly didn't help when this happened on stage 9 of the 2008 TdF. I really doubt Remco is that bashed up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AecSC6S24XA
Didn't we once had a jacked up Hamilton riding with a broken colarbone? ending up 4th in the tour. (2003)

I think pelvis is Remo weakness after his crash. he had major chiropractor work in the vuelta to get back moving properly. I'm assuming it is very similar now.(probably a bit worse than the vuelta which took 3 days and a rest day to recover from. e.g get moving properly)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I turned off after the early break crashed in the first corner, and then turned on just for the last 20 mins or so. I knew it would be a tough watch. To be honest, I'd have been fine with them neutralising the stage. I like bike racing, but don't like down right sadism.

neutralizing the stage every time it rains?

Battling the elements is a fundamental part of the sport! May as well limit cycling to indoor track racing then

Odds have changed - some bookmakers now making Roglic favourite.

That's silly in my opinion. Roglic crashed as well. At this point all of them crashed already and likely have some bruises. We have no idea how serious they are, but we haven't seen anything that actually suggests that Remco isn't alright. It's just that communication from teams and riders is different: "I've been so lucky" vs. "I'm in pain".

That's silly in my opinion. Roglic crashed as well. At this point all of them crashed already and likely have some bruises. We have no idea how serious they are, but we haven't seen anything that actually suggests that Remco isn't alright. It's just that communication from teams and riders is different: "I've been so lucky" vs. "I'm in pain".

Perhaps those two statements mean that rider A is unscathed while rider B is hurt.

There was nothing specifically dangerous about these roads. Wet roads, maybe especially oily, okay, but shall they only ride when the roads are dry? Or not in southern Italy or France anymore at all?
The riders need to look at their own behaviour, positioning, bike handling skills, whether there is reckless riding. And if all of that is fine, then it's just bike racing.

Reactions: staubsauger
Photo of the day:

346055597_144344988518293_491447019646719844_n.jpg
As I understand it, a rider must cross the line with his bike, and also a rider cannot go backwars along the route. Does that mean that if he hadn't clung on, he would have been DQed os DNFed?

Reactions: noob and laarsland
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/eOe9UkKYLdk?feature=share

Cav looked over his shoulder to see if there was room to go back into his spot and there was. He was looking forward, slid back into position and Dainese started moved from the right all the way to the left and took out his front wheel. Dainese had plenty of room if he stayed where he was but he swerved out to try and get better placing.
I really don't understand why this one is controversial this is the cleanest chop you'll ever see.

I really don't understand why this one is controversial this is the cleanest chop you'll ever see.
I think because people just saw the front which looks bad on Cav because you can’t see that he just slots back into the position he vacated with no issue. Stinks we’ve had two sprints and he’s crashed in both though at least he was able to be at the end to contest the win. I hope he can contest tomorrow and get a win out of this race. All eyes on the Tour though, as just one win there (and even if the only win of the season) it will be a successful season.
If he hadn't clung on his bike would have finished 4th and Cav would have finished 6th. That's 125 UCI points in total.
Oh god, imagine that showing up on the result sheet and teams start using that strategy when needing points.

TRENDING THREADS