• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2023 Giro d'Italia, Stage 5: Atripalda - Salerno 171 km (Wednesday, May 10th)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I turned off after the early break crashed in the first corner, and then turned on just for the last 20 mins or so. I knew it would be a tough watch. To be honest, I'd have been fine with them neutralising the stage. I like bike racing, but don't like down right sadism.

Rain isn't sadism.

I do recognize that certain stages can be neutralised towards the end of the race if there are extraordinary circumstances. But in general, one of the interesting things about road cycling is the weather conditions.

We are lucky Cav didn't take anyone out when he swerved due to the paint. But after that, what was the point in trying to get back in the slipstream? Trying to get back into a group that's moving faster than you is one of the main causes of crashes in sprint finishes, and generally pointless because if your momentum is gone, it's gone.
well he got fifth whilst sliding on his arse. He obviously presumed he could do better. & remember, Astana need all those sweet UCI points

Some people saying that Remco should not have been looking back. Yes you are right and that's his fault. However, he would have been taken down regardless because of the bad maneuver by the other rider. Very difficult to avoid even if he was looking forward. Think about the sprints as well. The riders that make drastic changes of their lines are at fault and usually take down the other riders regardless of anything. very hard to avoid.
I watched the replay several times now (after work, LOL) and I see Remco moving to the right a little bit as the approaching rider was moving to the left to get into the sprint for the stage. So accidents happen a lot in the ending of the stages when everyone is nervous and preparing for the sprint and sometimes it is hard to blame just someone for a bad move, but I have to say that You don't look back at that moment because bad things are going to happen. It could be avoidable since he moved to the right as he looked back.

That's is one of the reasons why I don't try to look back when I ride my bike because I usually end up changing lanes. So I stand corrected. :)

Last edited:
View: https://youtube.com/shorts/eOe9UkKYLdk?feature=share

Cav looked over his shoulder to see if there was room to go back into his spot and there was. He was looking forward, slid back into position and Dainese started moved from the right all the way to the left and took out his front wheel. Dainese had plenty of room if he stayed where he was but he swerved out to try and get better placing.
Yet another case of Cavendish causing himself to crash, only for the jury to punish the other rider. Disgusting.

Reactions: Sandisfan
First of all, Evenepoel's swerve is not that severe untill the Trek rider clips him. He only moves to the side maybe half a meter. And as you noted, the Trek rider is coming from behind with more speed so he is the one with a better view as it happens in front of him. The Trek rider's cutting in swerve is also harder and faster. Evenepoel is not without blame, he should have been looking to the side he wanted to peel off to, but the blame does not fall solely on him, as people here are trying to portray it.
Told you man, you're wrong.
Just watched Horner's video.
Remco at fault
case closed

Hope nothing worse then road rash for the guys who crashed although Remco seems to be in pain. This stage will still be in the legs tomorrow, but Ineos seem to have been lucky so maybe they'll test how people feel.
Evenepoel has been riding in his legwarmers. Road rash is likely the least of his concern for the moment. The slippery roads might have caused some crashes but also prevented some broken bones.

Just watched Horner's video.
Ah, ok then.

Dogs and flares need to disappear from bike races and spectators that touch the riders should be fined along with dog owners with unleashed dogs Even in the neutral zone a fool with a phone almost caused a crash at the front by standing out on the road to take a photo. but of course this is ibike racing until another woman with a message on a piece of cardboard brings down half the peloton at speed, then something is done at least in the short term. Never understood why some spectators also have to stand on traffic islands to watch the race and some of them have learned the hard way................as for stray dogs and domestic animals or escaped horses.........well..........those events are rarer thankfully

Last edited:
Yet another case of Cavendish causing himself to crash, only for the jury to punish the other rider. Disgusting.

Not a Cavendish fan at all but I am wondering how this is causing oneself to crash...

The rule says that you can't change lanes abruptly in a sprint if it causes danger for another rider, and if that's not what Dainese did, then I really don't know anything anymore...

Last edited:
I really don't understand why this one is controversial this is the cleanest chop you'll ever see.

Dunno. I'd call it borderline. Cav probably should have swung far left after nearly crashing when his wheel lost traction and stayed out of the sprint. He got back into the fray, which is fine, but he was moving right as Dainese was going for the hole, which surprised Cav a bit -- and I'm not sure that Dainese realized that Cav was moving right. 5 more cm and Dainese gets through clean.

I mean, if you're going to relegate Dainese, then you also need to find that damn dog and send him to the ...doghouse?

Dunno. I'd call it borderline. Cav probably should have swung far left after nearly crashing when his wheel lost traction and stayed out of the sprint. He got back into the fray, which is fine, but he was moving right as Dainese was going for the hole, which surprised Cav a bit -- and I'm not sure that Dainese realized that Cav was moving right. 5 more cm and Dainese gets through clean.

I mean, if you're going to relegate Dainese, then you also need to find that damn dog and send him to the ...doghouse?
Cav was done moving to the right and moving straightforward before Dainese even started going to the left.

Reactions: jmdirt
Maybe he went to tell Rem, the next time he drops back through the peloton at the 3k mark, to stay in a straight line and look where he's going. Just because his stage is finished, there's still other riders racing for the win.
That's a thing that people do after being all cleaned up and showered? They walk to a competitors bus to say stuff like that? Not to mention there is sound and he actually says he's sorry.

Last edited:
Everyone here that is very harsh on Remco, I want to invite to my group ride.
When we do 45+ in the last few K of our group ride, I will cut you off, and when you crash, I will ofcourse stop, turn back and tell you it's your fault and you shouldn't whine.

Seriously, some of you seem to have never ridden a race / crashed due to careless swerving / cutting off in front of you. Because if so, you would have at least empathy for the crashed rider, and if it were you, you would be as upset as Remco. I mean, most here are already more upset about Remco being upset, than Remco himself being upset about someone cutting him off. I once broke my collarbone in a race when a rider thought it was a wise thing to go inside in a curve where there wasn't space, effectively cutting off several riders including myself. I never knew who it was as he didn't crash, but I had to undergo surgery and was absent for a month from work. That guy cost me a lot of money, my collarbone, my racing season and so much more (like doing fun things with my family as I wasn't able to do much, for some time), but life goes on and while I was angry just after the crash, I hardly remember being angry ever again. It's normal to be mad just after the crash. Riders are human beings with feelings etc.

I am a proud Remco fanboy, but first of all I am a fan of racing, no matter who is in the race.
I looked at it like most neutral bystanders, i.e. that Remco should be more careful and was in the wrong place while Kirsch was a bit reckless (so both to blame, but in the end, Remco's responsability, not being concentrated enough for riding where he rode).
But the flack Remco gets here is much worse than any 'fanboy's' comment. It's sometimes going towards hatred, and some here defending Remco are being ridiculed. Keep it civilised and balanced, I would say.