• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France CQ Game

If it's time for the teams to think about their line-ups for the Tour and what type of silly social media announcement to use, it's time for you to think about your selection for the CQ Tour game (silly social media gimmicks are discouraged).

Your team will be eight riders who are taking part in the Tour (leaving a gap in the team is not permitted), and who have a maximum aggregate CQ score for the year to 25th June of 4000 points. If you are not familiar with CQ points, they are compiled by cqranking.com to whom this series of games is highly indebted). The definitive version of those points will be taken from the download that CQ made available on Monday 26th, but will most easily be found all at a view in a selection spreadsheet here. That will be updated as often as I can as the startlist becomes clearer: it also will do the adding for you, has the scale of points to be won, and the name format that will keep your game organiser calm and happy.

Scoring Your team is fixed and no interventions are needed for each stage. Points are available for the top ten on each stage, for the yellow jersey wearer (except after the last stage), for the top ten in the green and polka-dot jersey competitions, and of course for GC (including some points for all finishers). The point scale is on the spreadsheet linked above. All riders score simply their points accrued during the Tour, there is no captain or other complicating factor as some games have. Tiebreakers if necessary are the based on lesser reliance on a big scorer: if there are two identical teams, the managers will be invited to choose a ninth man (max cost 100 pts) to be used only to separate such teams.
There is a secondary classification, based only on stage points. Some teams seem to go sprinter-heavy as though they are targetting this, but be aware that there

Submitting your team PM to me on this website is the easiest method unless we are in touch in real life. If it is still the case that newly registered members are restricted in sending PMs, then the best bet is probably to put your team behind spoiler tabs in this thread, trust the others not to peek and steal your ideas, and delete it when I confirm receipt. I can take submissions from VeloRooms on Discord and from Parlamento Ciclista if you frequent either of those.
Please help by using the CQ version of the riders' names: another reason to use that selection spreadsheet. I don't need to be told their teams and prices: that just makes more work for me in deleting it.
If you don't leave your submission to the last minute, I will be better able to alert you to any problems in the selection. Unresolved errors will be sorted by removing the problematic rider and replacing him with the most expensive available rider (alphabetically first if there are two or more candidates for that).
The Tour starts in Bilbao on Saturday 1st July, presumably mid morning Spanish time. That is the deadline for sending in your team or making changes to it.

Disputes The scores as at the end of the Tour, according to CQ, are considered final (when Quintana's points were removed a couple of months later last year, I put up a revised score with his points redistributed for interest, but that is not the official result). Anything else is my decision, but I tend to be a consultative dictator, so I'll invite input if there is anything unforeseen.

Prizes Pinarello Dogma (sorry, sponsors pulled out) Pride, probably getting a word of congratulations from me and maybe a few other players, you can brag about it in your signature line if you want...

And as I usually remember to say in the acknowledgements I send when I get your teams, thanks, good luck to your riders, and enjoy the game and the Tour.

Last edited:
I only-and-last participated in CQ was the whole chibang, a year of predictions at the '19 CQ Manager competition. I won week 2 of the Tour. I hope that this Tour CQ will see my win for TdF week 3.

Game on! Thibaut Pinot will lead my team!

I only-and-last participated in CQ was the whole chibang, a year of predictions at the '19 CQ Manager competition. I won week 2 of the Tour. I hope that this Tour CQ will see my win for TdF week 3.

Game on! Thibaut Pinot will lead my team!
Prodigals will be welcomed back. As will the faithful regulars. Or anyone else you want to bring the game to the attention of: the more the merrier.

here's the startlist with values. Quickstep yet to be confirmed:

AG2R Citroën TeamAlpecin-Deceuninck
BERTHET Clément
372​
ANDERSEN Søren Kragh
513​
COSNEFROY Benoît
681​
DILLIER Silvan
87​
DEWULF Stan
192​
GOGL Michael
36​
GALL Felix
558​
HERMANS Quinten
353​
NAESEN Oliver
255​
PHILIPSEN Jasper
1877​
O'CONNOR Ben
664​
RICKAERT Jonas
72​
PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
460​
SINKELDAM Ramon
78​
PETERS Nans
319​
VAN DER POEL Mathieu
1359​
Astana Qazaqstan TeamBahrain - Victorious
BOL Cees
301​
ARNDT Nikias
210​
CAVENDISH Mark
329​
BAUHAUS Phil
321​
DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO David
185​
BILBAO LOPEZ DE ARMENTIA Pello
951​
FEDOROV Yevgeniy
176​
HAIG Jack
409​
LUTSENKO Alexey
601​
LANDA MEANA Mikel
1021​
MOSCON Gianni
56​
MOHORIC Matej
793​
SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon
359​
POELS Wout
191​
TEJADA CANACUE Harold Alfonso
168​
WRIGHT Fred
545​
BORA - hansgroheCofidis
BUCHMANN Emanuel
279​
COQUARD Bryan
641​
HALLER Marco
362​
GESCHKE Simon
181​
HINDLEY Jai
669​
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Ion
540​
JUNGELS Bob
322​
LAFAY Victor
439​
KONRAD Patrick
587​
MARTIN Guillaume
953​
MEEUS Jordi
773​
PEREZ Anthony
381​
POLITT Nils
333​
RENARD Alexis
180​
VAN POPPEL Danny
441​
ZINGLE Axel
948​
EF Education-EasyPostGroupama - FDJ
AMADOR BIKKAZAKOVA Andrey
39​
GAUDU David
1161​
BETTIOL Alberto
582​
GENIETS Kévin
263​
CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio
606​
KÜNG Stefan
1088​
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
492​
LE GAC Olivier
86​
CORT NIELSEN Magnus
624​
MADOUAS Valentin
1065​
POWLESS Neilson
1184​
PACHER Quentin
190​
SHAW James
240​
PINOT Thibaut
1153​
URAN URAN Rigoberto
665​
VAN DEN BERG Lars
61​
INEOS GrenadiersIntermarché - Circus - Wanty
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
210​
CALMEJANE Lilian
191​
CASTROVIEJO NICOLAS Jonathan
267​
COSTA Rui Alberto Faria
604​
FRAILE MATARRANZ Omar
192​
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
593​
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
91​
MEINTJES Louis
749​
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe
551​
PETIT Adrien
30​
PIDCOCK Thomas
1068​
SMITH Dion
173​
RODRIGUEZ CANO Carlos
751​
TEUNISSEN Mike
323​
TURNER Ben
190​
ZIMMERMANN Georg
425​
Jumbo-VismaMovistar Team
BENOOT Tiesj
718​
ARANBURU DEBA Alexander
593​
KELDERMAN Wilco
385​
GUERREIRO Ruben Antonio Almeida
559​
KUSS Sepp
341​
IZAGIRRE INSAUSTI Gorka
224​
LAPORTE Christophe
1576​
JORGENSON Matteo
884​
VAN AERT Wout
2449​
MAS NICOLAU Enric
1307​
VAN BAARLE Dylan
428​
MÜHLBERGER Gregor
178​
VAN HOOYDONCK Nathan
301​
OLIVEIRA Nelson Filipe Santos Simoes
163​
VINGEGAARD RASMUSSEN Jonas
2689​
PEDRERO LOPEZ Antonio
222​
Soudal - Quick StepTeam Arkéa Samsic
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
500​
BARGUIL Warren
439​
ASGREEN Kasper
291​
BIERMANS Jenthe
513​
CAVAGNA Rémi
507​
CHAMPOUSSIN Clément
265​
DECLERCQ Tim
77​
DELAPLACE Anthony
155​
DEVENYNS Dries
45​
GUGLIELMI Simon
93​
JAKOBSEN Fabio
748​
LOUVEL Matis
396​
LAMPAERT Yves
582​
MOZZATO Luca
480​
MØRKØV CHRISTENSEN Michael
68​
PICHON Laurent
125​
2818​
Team Jayco AlUlaTeam DSM - Firmenich
CRADDOCK Lawson
73​
BARDET Romain
1039​
DURBRIDGE Luke
128​
DEGENKOLB John
293​
GROENEWEGEN Dylan
973​
DINHAM Matthew
91​
HARPER Chris
200​
EDMONDSON Alexander
118​
JUUL JENSEN Christopher
45​
EEKHOFF Nils
239​
MEZGEC Luka
278​
HAMILTON Chris
163​
REINDERS Elmar
41​
VERMAERKE Kevin
143​
YATES Simon
870​
WELSFORD Samuel
599​
Lidl - TrekUAE Team Emirates
CICCONE Giulio
926​
BJERG Mikkel
425​
GALLOPIN Tony
207​
GROSSSCHARTNER Felix
207​
KIRSCH Alex
158​
LAENGEN Vegard Stake
50​
LOPEZ PEREZ Juan Pedro
60​
MAJKA Rafal
214​
PEDERSEN Mads
1540​
POGACAR Tadej
3902​
SIMMONS Quinn
277​
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc
435​
SKJELMOSE JENSEN Mattias
1877​
TRENTIN Matteo
842​
STUYVEN Jasper
424​
YATES Adam
1533​
5469​
7608​
Lotto DstnyTotalEnergies
CAMPENAERTS Victor
273​
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
310​
DE BUYST Jasper
414​
BURGAUDEAU Mathieu
259​
EENKHOORN Pascal
247​
CRAS Steff
129​
EWAN Caleb
752​
FERRON Valentin
369​
FRISON Frederik
243​
LATOUR Pierre
430​
GUARNIERI Jacopo
20​
OSS Daniel
35​
VAN GILS Maxim
514​
SAGAN Peter
378​
VERMEERSCH Florian
496​
TURGIS Anthony
274​
Uno-X Pro Cycling TeamIsrael - Premier Tech
ABRAHAMSEN Jonas
78​
BOIVIN Guillaume
162​
CHARMIG Anthon
279​
CLARKE Simon
436​
GREGAARD WILSLY Jonas
168​
HOULE Hugo
385​
JOHANNESSEN Tobias Halland
159​
NEILANDS Krists
226​
KRISTOFF Alexander
958​
SCHULTZ Nicholas
232​
TILLER Rasmus Fossum
464​
STRONG Corbin
551​
TRAEEN Torstein
371​
TEUNS Dylan
361​
WAERENSKJOLD Søren
421​
WOODS Michael
528​

Last edited:
It is now (and Search has it in the list above). No further excuses, get those teams coming in (JVF has, and mine is on record with her)

Link to the selection tool to save you scouring through the OP for it.
Well, I wasted a bit of time last weekend :p I read the rule "Your team will be eight riders who are taking part in the Tour (leaving a gap in the team is not permitted), and who have a maximum aggregate CQ score for the year to 25th June of 4000 points" wrong. I thought that meant points earned year to date (jan - June). But it appears from your cheat sheet that it is actually the CQ points since last 25th June, 2022. And my team was looking pretty darn good! You would think i never played this game before.

Well, I wasted a bit of time last weekend :p I read the rule "Your team will be eight riders who are taking part in the Tour (leaving a gap in the team is not permitted), and who have a maximum aggregate CQ score for the year to 25th June of 4000 points" wrong. I thought that meant points earned year to date (jan - June). But it appears from your cheat sheet that it is actually the CQ points since last 25th June, 2022. And my team was looking pretty darn good! You would think i never played this game before.
I wouldn't have meant to cause confusion, but I am fairly sure that I have used similar description before, and that it is standard for "the year to " a specific date means the 12 months up to then, rather than the period Jan 1 to that date. And we could all have great teams if we only took half a year's score as the price.

But I'm glad that you noticed in time, and look forward to receiving your team.

OK, I shoot first...

Pinot 1153
Jakobsen 748
Carapaz 606
A. Paret-Peintre 460
Cavendish 329
Bauhaus 321
Fraile 192
Mühlberger 178 13 points to spare?

On the next edition, maybe we should put the cap at number one rider plus the lowest seven in the field so one can pick Pog against the World.

I will always pick Tibopino. I'm his #1 fan after all! Not many will, so that can be my edge in this competition. Thibaut can win. Obvious picks are Cav', he will go for 35, try and try again, and Fabio: the duse his fast. Carapaz: he's crafty, over-achiever and he won't be scared. Bauhaus is dangerous. APP is French and like his countrymen he'll be thirsty for glory. And he can deliver. Omar is Basque...enough said. Finally, Gregor is the Austrian Champion: he can Arnold his way to a win.

The Tonton team will win this bike race. The bag is wide open...

I would have wanted Matthieu: I couldn't afford him, but he will shine. And Romain Bardet. In the end, I chose Thibaut Pinot. I never gave up on him, I'm not going to give up now.