• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France route rumors

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mid September and we still really don't know much about the route. Rghysens's post was the most in-depth thing we've seen on this forum. But the only thing I've seen in print is the Limoges stage and the Puy Mary finishes. Hopefully we start getting some more published rumors soon. Seeing the rumors is always fun.

Reactions: Sandisfan
A few good things in that article. Besides the obvious that they're skipping La Planche, Nuits-Saint-Georges as a finishing town is interesting. The article says July 15th which puts it in the east a little later than I thought. Maybe a time trial in Dijon right after that? That could be the much desired earlier itt along with a time trial through beautiful Dijon?

Based on hotel reservations, stage 5 and 6 should be in the Pyrenees. Apparently stage 9 will start in Saint-Leonard-de-Noblat (Poulidors hometown). So that gives us:
Stage 1: hilly/medium mountains (certain)
Stage 2: hilly/medium mountains (certain)
Stage 3: flat final
Stage 4: tt rumoured (not sure if team or individual)
Stage 5: mountainous
Stage 6: mountainous
Stage 7: flat to hilly, going north
Stage 8: further north, to Limoges, flat/rolling
Stage 9: Massif Central, medium mountains

Further rumours:
Stage 10: to Moulins
Stage 11 or 12 should have a finish at Villard-les-Dombes, some assume st11 is a itt
Stage 13: to the Grand Colombier (quatorze juillet)
Stage 14: involving Col de la Loze (as a pass?)
Stage 15: northern Alps (Morzine?)
Stage 19: Vosges stages finishing on Grand Ballon
Stage 20: Vittel, assumed itt by some
Stage 21: very obvious

A few good things in that article. Besides the obvious that they're skipping La Planche, Nuits-Saint-Georges as a finishing town is interesting. The article says July 15th which puts it in the east a little later than I thought. Maybe a time trial in Dijon right after that? That could be the much desired earlier itt along with a time trial through beautiful Dijon?
Belfort - Nuits-Saint-Georges is a rumour based on a map made during a contest on LeGruppetto, so probably false.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and pman
Further rumours:
Stage 10: to Moulins
Stage 11 or 12 should have a finish at Villard-les-Dombes, some assume st11 is a itt
Stage 13: to the Grand Colombier (quatorze juillet)
Stage 14: involving Col de la Loze (as a pass?)
Stage 15: northern Alps (Morzine?)
Stage 19: Vosges stages finishing on Grand Ballon
Stage 20: Vittel, assumed itt by some
Stage 21: very obvious

Belfort - Nuits-Saint-Georges is a rumour based on a map made during a contest on LeGruppetto, so probably false.

Interesting, so potentially 2 ITT both in the final 2/3rds of the race? Interesting.

Thinking about the rumors rghysens outlined a few things jump out

1. A very central oriented Tour. I guess that makes sense since the belief is that staying in the southern half of France in 2024.
  2. Isn't Villard-les-Dombes a nature area? What's the logistics of everyone racing there? I guess the teams could stay in Lyon. Heck, I could stay in Lyon and train in for the day.
  3. I love 2 ITTs. I hope that happens.

I just hope that prudhomme finally, after this awesome tour, already understand how to do a interesting route. More altitude, with more steep climbs, more medium mountains stages, and some long itts.

Some things that work and i'd love to see again at the tour.

Pailheres/ax 3 domaines
Colombiere/romme
Cime de la bonette
Iseran

Col de la tougnéte! But i think col de la loze will be ate the tour 2023.

Col du granon was absolutely unbeliavable, i hope they comeback in 2024 or 2025.

Col de la tougnéte! But i think col de la loze will be ate the tour 2023.

Col du granon was absolutely unbeliavable, i hope they comeback in 2024 or 2025.

I hope if they go up Col de la Loze they do something insane like this which I just created. 5700m elevation gain:
tdf2317.png

I also made this for good measure :D (also 5700m elevation gain but Col du Chaussy can be removed!)
tdf2318.png

And if Prudhomme thinks the 1st stage has too much elevation gain, you can always just remove Col du Tra. That one is 11.5km at 5.5% so you would be taking away 630m elevation, that would put the stage as being shorter (which he seems to like) and only 5100m elevation gain (which is within reason, the Giro has plenty of stages around that)
tdf23172.png

Last edited:
Does anyone believe the route map currently kicking around from https://twitter.com/ItsErwan is accurate? It goes against a lot of the rumors we've seen here.

That map kicking around Twitter has them going from the Pyrenees up north rather through the middle of the country as has been speculated both here and in some published reports.

I don't believe for a second Prudhomme would have this Tour with so many flat stages in the first week or so. After all they are starting from the Basque country, they will want to make use of a lighter Pyrenees and almost certainly do something interesting at the end of the first 9 stages.

I don't believe for a second Prudhomme would have this Tour with so many flat stages in the first week or so. After all they are starting from the Basque country, they will want to make use of a lighter Pyrenees and almost certainly do something interesting at the end of the first 9 stages.

Yeah, that was my initial take, boy a lot of flat stages. Plus when does the map ever leak this early? I hope it's way off, that's for sure. I trust the published reports that put the race going through central France as opposed to what the Twitter map does, which puts the race going through the north.

I don
Does anyone believe the route map currently kicking around from https://twitter.com/ItsErwan is accurate? It goes against a lot of the rumors we've seen here.

That map kicking around Twitter has them going from the Pyrenees up north rather through the middle of the country as has been speculated both here and in some published reports.
I don't believe. Some rumours like finishes on grand colombier and plateau de beille are credible.

Reactions: Sandisfan and pman
For fear of igniting an unnecessary debate, that Twitter map is definitely a route Remco could win/beat Jumbo in. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if he drew it up himself. lol kidding obviously but yeah, a lot of flat stages, 2 TTs. A very Remco friendly Tour.

I was going to properly analyze this map until I realized that it didn‘t even have the right stage start and finish on stage 2 and 3, even though stage 2 and the start of stage 3 have already been revealed.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS