• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France route rumors

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sadly that's true...
Well, right now it's more or less true for all three Grand Tours. Usually, we could count on RCS providing some really good designed stages in the Giro. Now using Loze as a pass, descending and having that short ramp to Courchevel altiport is about as good as a GT mountain stage will be designed. And it would certainly be good by Tour standards.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Fyr3
Well, right now it's more or less true for all three Grand Tours. Usually, we could count on RCS providing some really good designed stages in the Giro. Now using Loze as a pass, descending and having that short ramp to Courchevel altiport is about as good as a GT mountain stage will be designed. And it would certainly be good by Tour standards.

Tour gets a lot of bad reputation for the stage design but things would have worked out great the last 2 years in a row without Roglic's crash imo. The modern aggressive all out racing can make even sub-par parcours fun to watch I think.

I have a question for my fellow individual time trialing fans. Which would you rather have- 2 medium length time trials or 1 long time trial. I'd love to see a Lyon to Mâcon ITT. 70 K or so ITT. I'd take that over medium (by current standards) ITTs.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I have a question for my fellow individual time trialing fans. Which would you rather have- 2 medium length time trials or 1 long time trial. I'd love to see a Lyon to Mâcon ITT. 70 K or so ITT. I'd take that over medium (by current standards) ITTs.
I like the idea of a flat / rolling 50km TT in the middle of the race (say stage 10) then a ~ 20km mountain time trial somewhere in the 3rd week (but not stage 20)
I've been making my own tdf 2023 route and I have stage 10 as a 45km TT around Santenay area, with stage 19 a puy de Dome time trial of 20km from Clermont ferrand. Then stage 20 is the one I posted somewhere on here to Le Lioran

3 time trials.
One ITT 60 km.
One TTT 30 km.
One mountain ITT.

But if the two only options are 2 medium lenght ITT, or 1 long time ITT, i choose one long ITT with 60 km.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Doopie and pman
You guys always want more lol. Those Alps rumours sound great! And 3 years since previous Loze is good too (every 3-5 years for a mountain pass is about right). Would Loze stage be before Morzine one?

Regarding ITT's; 70kms? Let's dream of just a 50km length first. As suggested, a long (or longer) ITT is preferred mid race, stage 10 after the rest day is good, also as they don't seem to like breaking up the mountain blocks with a rest day (I think they should for the racing side of things, but maybe logistically this is too difficult, need a city to spend a rest day rather than alpine resort?). With second ITT, could be a MTT around stage 16-17 to begin the final mountain block. If it's the traditional stage 20, then flat and long won't work these days because it nullifies the racing before it too much (whereas in the Armstrong era they tended to have non GC days Friday, Thursday, even Wednesday too, so why not 50-55 kms?). Maybe 20-25 kms rolling ITT, which is a Pogacar trying to have your cake and eat it too, potentially still decisive, but not too intimidating to negate attacking racing on stage 19. I like the idea of big mountains around 8-10, 14-16, then Voges (as has been suggested) 18-19 (taking a little from some recent Vuelta's). Even PDBF could work well stage 18, then multi mountain long range attack potential stage 19 (or 19 and 20 if final ITT is beforehand).

Further rumours:
Stage 10: to Moulins
Stage 11 or 12 should have a finish at Villard-les-Dombes, some assume st11 is a itt
Stage 13: to the Grand Colombier (quatorze juillet)
Stage 14: involving Col de la Loze (as a pass?)
Stage 15: northern Alps (Morzine?)
Stage 19: Vosges stages finishing on Grand Ballon
Stage 20: Vittel, assumed itt by some
Stage 21: very obvious

Belfort - Nuits-Saint-Georges is a rumour based on a map made during a contest on LeGruppetto, so probably false.

So far, everything you suggested has more less been backed up other places which is exciting me because I am a big fan of the route you outlined. I do have a question for those who know the Lyon region better than me. How realistic is it to stay in downtown Lyon and take a train to Villard-les-Dombes and catch the time trial on the day of the race? I know they have regular train service between the two but I've never thought of taking a train or cab for that matter on the day of the race.

So far, everything you suggested has more less been backed up other places which is exciting me because I am a big fan of the route you outlined. I do have a question for those who know the Lyon region better than me. How realistic is it to stay in downtown Lyon and take a train to Villard-les-Dombes and catch the time trial on the day of the race? I know they have regular train service between the two but I've never thought of taking a train or cab for that matter on the day of the race.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. But thought I'd add that with your serious 70km suggestion and genuine desire to travel to see an ITT live, we might need to anoint you as the leader in our ITT 'stonecutters' club, superseding Bavarianrider :)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and pman
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. But thought I'd add that with your serious 70km suggestion and genuine desire to travel to see an ITT live, we might need to anoint you as the leader in our ITT 'stonecutters' club, superseding Bavarianrider :)

Haha, too funny. A time trial seems like it would be a lot of fun to watch in person. The Tour is just so much fun to take in live. Even if you only get to see them for a few seconds. You just feel like you're part of the race in a way you don't merely attending other sports. Plus, countries don't get much more beautiful than France, now do they :)

I just want to add the 70 k ITT was more a dream idea. I know it won't happen, at least not anytime soon. But yeah, I'd love to see it!!!

Balancing a long tt would require an atypical mountain complexion for current standards.
At the same time, the current contenders seem quite evenly matched around GT challenges, making the balance unnecessary.
Hopefully, the route's gonna offer something new that could make a difference.

You can't superseded Bavarianrider. They once submitted a three week Deutschlandtour to the Race Design Thread which, after 7 stages, hadn't had a single categorised climb but had had over 100km of ITT.

I think so, descent and then ~1km at 8.5% up the airport would be my guess.

Maybe the go for a stage like this one? Taken from a race design.

guyx9f.jpg

TRENDING THREADS