• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France route rumors

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe the go for a stage like this one? Taken from a race design.

guyx9f.jpg
Usually the typical stage for the Tour is Galibier, Madeleine and La Plagne. They should do the same but instead of La Plagne they should add La Loze. How long would that be? I know it would be the queen stage!

Usually the typical stage for the Tour is Galibier, Madeleine and La Plagne. They should do the same but instead of La Plagne they should add La Loze. How long would that be? I know it would be the queen stage!
It would be nice to see them go back to La Plagne one of these days. It has been 20 years! Instead of adding the Galibier they should use the Col du Glandon which would make the mountains more tightly packed.

I would like to see a stage from Albertville > Cormet de Roseland > Col de l'Iseran > Col du Mont Cenis > Col du Finestre > Sestriere. The stage would be roughly 220km and somewhat akin to the epic mountain day from 1992 when Claudio Chiappucci won. Of course they did not use the Col du Finestre but it was a long unending mountain day that saw Indurain ride aggressively near the end and proving that he was actually a good climber.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I would like to see a stage from Albertville > Cormet de Roseland > Col de l'Iseran > Col du Mont Cenis > Col du Finestre > Sestriere. The stage would be roughly 220km and somewhat akin to the epic mountain day from 1992 when Claudio Chiappucci won. Of course they did not use the Col du Finestre but it was a long unending mountain day that saw Indurain ride aggressively near the end and proving that he was actually a good climber.

That would be a good stage. However, St Jeanen Maurienne to Sestrieres may be better.

Mollard
Galiber (no points for the Telegraph)
Montvergenie
Finestre
Sestrieres

Would be insane, but is pretty far from ever happening. If ASO decides to use Finestre followed by Sestriere as a MTF, it's more likely that they will start somewhere in the Maurinne valley and do only Mont Cenis before Finestre.

And personally, I prefer they stay in France, leave Finestre to the Giro and do some big stages/new combos in France. Like Iseran - Galibier - Granon/Les Deux Alpes. Or this new Tougnete-pass before Col de la Loze and finish at a ski station in Vanoise or the vicinity.

• Wow
Would be insane, but is pretty far from ever happening. If ASO decides to use Finestre followed by Sestriere as a MTF, it's more likely that they will start somewhere in the Maurinne valley and do only Mont Cenis before Finestre.

And personally, I prefer they stay in France, leave Finestre to the Giro and do some big stages/new combos in France. Like Iseran - Galibier - Granon/Les Deux Alpes. Or this new Tougnete-pass before Col de la Loze and finish at a ski station in Vanoise or the vicinity.
I see no problem with using Finestre if you're in the neigbhourhood. So if they start a stage in Italy and finish in Briancon for example, I would love to get Finestre>Sestriere>Montegenevre.

I doubt we'll ever see a passage through Italy specifically for Finestre in a stage that starts and finishes in France

Sestriere was the 2nd ever MTF in the Tour (1952, with the one 2 days earlier, before the rest day, on Alpe d'Huez being the first ever), the first one outside of France and the first over 2,000m, so it should be a big deal for the Tour and using Finestre to improve it would only be a logical step.
That said, Val d'Isere - Sestriere would probably the hardest possible Sestriere stage that we could actually see ASO going for...

Apparently there will be a Summit finish up the Grand Colombier on stage 13. This will be followed by a stage to Morzine before the Col de la Loze on stage 15.
If people are saying that the final week will be in the Voges, this is going to be a pretty odd looking route, as it would make more sense to swap the Col de la Loze and Morzinr stages around....

Apparently there will be a Summit finish up the Grand Colombier on stage 13. This will be followed by a stage to Morzine before the Col de la Loze on stage 15.
If people are saying that the final week will be in the Voges, this is going to be a pretty odd looking route, as it would make more sense to swap the Col de la Loze and Morzinr stages around....
I think there's also in the last week a stage in the alps. The stage after the last rest day, it will be courchevel-annecy. So probably is going to be a mountain stage.

TRENDING THREADS