• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France route rumors

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So the the MTFs are believed to be-
  1. Cauterets- A gentle climb but uphill none the less.
  2. Puy de Dome
  3. Courchevel
  4. Grand Colombier
  5. Grand Ballon
Is this a fair assessment???
Interesting, Puy de Dome and Grand Ballon are some legendary climbs in different mountain range we never really get to see that often if at all. Grand Colombier and that area has the potential to be great I think, and Courchevel has been some massive performances the last times TdF has been there. Apparantly its not really the main climb, thats Loze, and thats probably even better. Looks like a 2017 run it back, just with a lot better of a route. Remember, they marketed the race on visiting all mountain ranges, but the stages were quite anaemic and it was at the peak of the ultra-conservative Sky-era with an aging and not at all dominant Froome who also wanted to win La Vuelta, so he won both races at 95% and did nothing more than was what required.

Cauterets? Meh, especially early in the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Interesting, Puy de Dome and Grand Ballon are some legendary climbs in different mountain range we never really get to see that often if at all. Grand Colombier and that area has the potential to be great I think, and Courchevel has been some massive performances the last times TdF has been there. Apparantly its not really the main climb, thats Loze, and thats probably even better. Looks like a 2017 run it back, just with a lot better of a route. Remember, they marketed the race on visiting all mountain ranges, but the stages were quite anaemic and it was at the peak of the ultra-conservative Sky-era with an aging and not at all dominant Froome who also wanted to win La Vuelta, so he won both races at 95% and did nothing more than was what required.

Cauterets? Meh, especially early in the race.
As a race 2016 was even worse than 2017, compared to that it was actually an improvement.

As a race 2016 was even worse than 2017, compared to that it was actually an improvement.

The forum disagrees.

So much of it comes down to the riders you have. I don't think a "proper" ITT would singlehandedly decide a Tour between an in-shape and in-form Remco, Pog and Ving. I think all three would finish within 2 minutes of one another, lets be honest, they probably all finish within 90 seconds of one another if they're all going well. That doesn't decide anything, especially given the way Pog rides in the mountains and how strong Jumbo ride as a team. With that said A)ITTs obviously need to be backed up by big mountains and B) This all goes on the assumption that those big 3 are riding and on their game. If one or two drop out, then yes, this thing gets decided in the time trial because any of the 3 could probably put well over 2 minutes into any other legit GC rival. Of course, by that logic, are there any other real GC rivals in cycling anyway? Pog finished with 3 teammates and how close was the third place rider to him? A few guys (and Jumbo as a team) have separated themselves from everyone else. Does the route really matter? Nobody that we can see is challenging those 3 right now, regardless of the course. Maybe Dani Martinez might develop into someone who can challenge them. Maybe Egan Bernal could recover and change the conversation. Maybe there is some young guy out there. But as of right now, you have 2 individuals in Remco and Pog and a third individual(the designated Jumbo rider, currently Ving) who are miles better than everyone else. All 3 can time trial. You might as well lean into that and put a 50-70 K ITT in the middle of the race. It probably won't happen but I'd love to see it.
I think Mas is at a level where he can challenge for a podium now but not the win (imo.) He is the only other guy I see challenging unless Vlasov proves us wrong about long climbs (got unlucky this year with covid and crashes) and Bernal makes it back after his crash. Oh and Hindley I guess but his TT is too bad

I think the current rumours for those who want to remain up to date are something like this:

4.) Dax > Laruns (mountain)
5.) Pau > Cauterets (mountain)
6.) ? Tarbes ?
7.) Mont-de-Marsan > Bordeaux (flat)
8.) Libourne > Limoges (flat
9.) St Leonard de Noblat > Puy de Dome (mountain)

10.) Vulcania > Issoire (hilly)
11.) Clermont-Ferrand > Moulins (flat)
12.) Roanne > Villars-les-Dombes (flat)
13.) Villefranche-sur-Saone > Grand Colombier (mountain)
14.) Morzine ?
15.) ? > Courchevel (mountain)

16.) Annemasse? (photo on social media from Gouvenou appears to be Mont Saleve from its hard side)
17.) ?
18.) Transition north (Doubs?)
19.) Vosges (Grand ballon? Markstein? Geradmer?)
20.) probably another stage 20 TT (Vittel?)
21.) Paris

I think Mas is at a level where he can challenge for a podium now but not the win (imo.) He is the only other guy I see challenging unless Vlasov proves us wrong about long climbs (got unlucky this year with covid and crashes) and Bernal makes it back after his crash. Oh and Hindley I guess but his TT is too bad
Mas will not be even close to peak Pogacar and vingegaard, even with this shape of his life. Even the podium it will be difficult if remco, or hindley go to the tour.

I think the current rumours for those who want to remain up to date are something like this:

6.) ? Tarbes ?

14.) Morzine ?

16.) Annemasse? (photo on social media from Gouvenou appears to be Mont Saleve from its hard side)
17.) ?
21.) Paris

Stages 9 to 11 don't make sense. Puy de Dome, Vulcania, Issoire and Clermont-Ferrand are all in the same area. Or was stage 10 the supposed TT?

6.) ? Tarbes ?

14.) Morzine ?

17.) ?
21.) Paris
Stage 14 starts in Annemasse, stage 16 in Brides-les-Bains.

I honestly like it. Puy de Dome and Grand Ballon are two mtf's I really want to see and I'm glad they don't just use Loze as a mtf from now on. I'm of the opinion that putting the final TT before the final mountain stage makes for a better route, but it's nothing new that the ASO disagrees on that.

Reactions: Monte Serra
So back to the actual route.......... It seems the Tour will visit at least 4 of the mountain ranges next year.
After the Basque Country we have a foray into the Pyrenees...... probably they'll be relatively light given how early they come in the race.

Then we are guaranteed action in the Massif Central because the Puy de Dome is confirmed. Perhaps they will have a second stage in this range too. Maybe not a decisive stage like on Puy Mary, but maybe a Superbesse finish.

They will surely visit the Alps but I don't think any there is concrete evidence of stage locations or finishes. Any predictions guys??

There is huge speculation about the Vosges next year and all the talk is about a HC finish on Grand Ballon. Is this confirmed or rather speculation.

No doubt there will be a TT or 2 thrown in along the way.

Ehm... Before people derailed the thread with Remco vs Pog+Vinge there were actually many decent posts concerning the route. Perhaps you can scroll bac

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS