• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 Tour de France route rumors

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogacar is the more versatile of the duo of favourites. Is there anything (except gaining bonus seconds due to his sprint) that can be done to utilize it? Maybe using his hilly-races super strength? Not sure if any stage really suits this profile (maybe stage 1?) and obviously Vinge has shown in the past that he's very good on shorter climbs as well.

Reactions: Tonton and SHAD0W93
Great looking Tour route. I'd love more ITTks but beyond that, I like the route. Personally, I think the race really hinges on two things 1) Does 2022 Vingegaard show up and 2) Is Pog 100%. Really, Vingegaard is the key. If he is anywhere near as good as last year, this could be Froome esque, Sky train type of Tour.

On a separate note, much like someone else said, I am intrigued by Stage 12. Like they said, it'll probably be a breakaway stage simply because of what is ahead of them in terms of mountain stages. Personally, it reminds me of a similar stage to that of Stage 7 of the 21 Tour, where Carapaz attacked only to have Movistar bring him back.

Both stages were tough classics type stages before a series of tough mountain stages. I think the key difference is the stage from 21 was relatively soft at the start with the hills backloaded. Stage 12 this year is relentless for a classics type of stage. It looks like the middle part is soft but even that part has hills in it. What intrigues me about it is that time bonus at the peak of the final climb. If I am UAE, I am keeping the race together to launch Pog on that climb if for no other reason than to get those bonus seconds. Perfect placed bonus seconds on that stage. We've seen a few examples of these types of stages being softer than they need to be (Stage 18 and 19 for example in this year's route). They've nailed Stage 12. The main guys might just let the break get 8 minutes on them or it might be just too hard to not race. I love it. The middle part of this race has the potential to be brutal. I definitely have warmed up to this rather unique route.

I do have two questions:
1) Are the stage profiles up yet on the actual Tour website because I can't see them. Usually the 21 profiles are up there by now.
2) Has anyone ever gone to a finish in a small city/ large town, non mountain stage finish. Like Belleville en Beaujolais? Are the crowds insane or are they smaller than a mountain/big city finish?

98c2e

That's the arrival on the race track in Nogaro.

On a flat sprint stage without any categorized climbs? Looks like a potential crashfest to me...

On a race track? No way. There's no street furniture, the road is wide & the surface should be excellent. Rain could change that of course but by the looks of it that finish is as safe as they get.

By & large the Tour 2023's biggest standout features are A/its few ITT km's & B/its few km's full stop, i.e. its stages are really short for the most part.

No idea what material impact this will have on the race (whether riders are fresher & punchier, or not, which is clearly the intent of Prudhomme & co).

On a separate note, much like someone else said, I am intrigued by Stage 12. Like they said, it'll probably be a breakaway stage simply because of what is ahead of them in terms of mountain stages. Personally, it reminds me of a similar stage to that of Stage 7 of the 21 Tour, where Carapaz attacked only to have Movistar bring him back.
They have chosen to omit Mont Brouilly, so instead they go around it. It would have been a GC stage with it.

The finish of stage 14 is the same finish they usually do in Morzine.
Also, where did you find these finish maps?
Could have sworn they did something different in 2016 but can't find a finish map for that stage...

Edit: checked the roadbook and the actual images, you can see Izagirre coming out of a slight left-hander into the finish. By the looks of that and the roadbook, it seems the finish was ~30 metres earlier that year, avoiding the second turn to the right.

Finish maps are here: https://www.letour.fr/fr/montour/acces-plans/etape-1/acces-arrivee

Last edited:
Reactions: ashhutch1997
Reactions: Sandisfan
It's ashame that stage 5 and 6 aren't the otherway round, as I think it would make the racing more aggressive on the Col du Marie Blanque.
Yes small chance that nobody want to attack on stage 5 with tourmalet next day. Maybe the gc teams let break go for le maillot jaune.

On the other hand guys like pogacar, vinegaard, Landa might attack wehnever they get the chance. Stage 6 is only 145km and not so hard climbs apart from le tourmalet.

Yes small chance that nobody want to attack on stage 5 with tourmalet next day. Maybe the gc teams let break go for le maillot jaune.

On the other hand guys like pogacar, vinegaard, Landa might attack wehnever they get the chance. Stage 6 is only 145km and not so hard climbs apart from le tourmalet.
That's true, but I doubt we'll get anything like the 2020 stage, which was really exciting.

Reactions: Ilmaestro99

TRENDING THREADS