• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2023 World Championships team selections

You seem to be forgetting quite a few...

Women's Elite:

RR:

Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Emma Norsgaard
Amalie Dideriksen
Marita Jensen
Rebecca Koerner
Solbjørk Anderson (U23 rider)

ITT:
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Emma Norsgaard

Men U23:
RR:

Joshua Gudnitz
Gustav Wang
Carl-Frederik Bévort
Rasmus Søjberg
Anders Foldager
Kasper Andersen

ITT:
Gustav Wang
Carl-Frederik Bévort

Men Junior:
RR:

Albert Withen
Theodor Storm
Patrick Frydkjær
Theodor Clemmensen
Anders Krogh

ITT:
Carl Emil Just Pedersen
Theodor Storm

Women Junior
RR:

Alberte Emilia Greve
Astrid Marie Bjørn Sørensen
Ida Krickau Ketelsen
Olympia Bianca Norrid-Mortensen

ITT:
Alberte Emilia Greve

Denmark won't be participating in the Team Relay.

Danish national team coach Anders Lund says about the route (from Feltet.dk):

"It is a very, very difficult route. I remember it from the European Championships in 2018 and have studied it on Veloviewer. It is one of the most complicated street racing routes I have witnessed for a World Championship. I am certain it will be a very spectacular race"

On the finishing circuit there are 45-50 turns in only 14.3 km plus some steep hills you hit without speed. There are also a few short visits to a park. There is no place to rest up"

"It will be impossible for a large peloton to stick together, if the race is raced hard. The fight for position and technical abilities will be key. It will be a very hard world championship which will be difficult to control"

"The run in to the circuit is not without problems, there are climbs after 70 km and it's in Scottish Braveheart-landscape with large open areas and chances of crosswinds. There are some key points of focus ahead of the circuit. It's not like you can just ride the back of the peloton and rest"

"There is of course a long way from the crosswind sections to the finish line, so I believe much will be decided on the circuit, but that thinking is also what makes a surprise attack from far out something you need to pay attention to"

"Of course the template for World Championships is not completely changed, but generally modern cycling has become less predictable, so there is a need for attentiveness in more phases of the race"

"It's of course a difficult race to predict. If it rains it becomes even more crazy. I have a hard time seeing more than 20 riders hitting the finish together and likely a smaller group"

"I believe this route is very good for the Danish team. It will be a very selective race, so if we want one or more Danes in the finale they need to be world class. There won't be many coincidences on such a hard route"

"I think we have the right team for riding a long grueling race on a tough and technical route, so I predict we are in good shape for it".

You seem to be forgetting quite a few...

Women's Elite:

RR:

Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Emma Norsgaard
Amalie Dideriksen
Marita Jensen
Rebecca Koerner
Solbjørk Anderson (U23 rider)

ITT:
Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig
Emma Norsgaard

Men U23:
RR:

Joshua Gudnitz
Gustav Wang
Carl-Frederik Bévort
Rasmus Søjberg
Anders Foldager
Kasper Andersen

ITT:
Gustav Wang
Carl-Frederik Bévort

Men Junior:
RR:

Albert Withen
Theodor Storm
Patrick Frydkjær
Theodor Clemmensen
Anders Krogh

ITT:
Carl Emil Just Pedersen
Theodor Storm

Women Junior
RR:

Alberte Emilia Greve
Astrid Marie Bjørn Sørensen
Ida Krickau Ketelsen

ITT:
Alberte Emilia Greve

Denmark won't be participating in the Team Relay.

Didn't forget, just couldn't be bothered ;)

I agree.

The other two obvious candidates are Van Aert and Pedersen, but as opposed to those two, MvdP has ridden a relatively laid back Tour, which may mean he is in better condition for a long Worlds race than them.
Probably not tough enough for Pog but I could see him following a strong attack in the end, maybe by MVDP, and then might slip away with a hard attack one of the smal climbs. After what we saw in the classics seems you can't rule him out. At least a strong outsider.

Edit: However, he might not be fresh enough after the tour.

Last edited:
Reactions: xo 1

Latest posts