• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino, 140 km (Saturday, May 4)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Perfectly happy to: does that normally happen with individual stages? But better to @ me or PM me rather than just put a note in the middle of a thread that I might not read, or could easily scan past.
Generally we have always had every stage thread pinned as the race was going on, with the exception of the lesser race thread.

Spare a thought for the people of Turin who brace themselves tonight for an infestation of military aged men. Nearly all unmarried, they are completely UNVETTED and have taken up any available accommodation in the city. Reports are coming in of a tented shanty town in the outskirts.

Look, I am not Sportist at all but I simply wasn't consulted. Nobody minds a SMALL number of cyclists but most of these are not genuine cyclists, more akin to soccer players. Dozens are known to have red cards in other jurisdictions but they tear them up on the journey here.

Police say they are aware of the situation and have brought Larry and the fella' with the moustache out of retirement. Both were given batons and told 'Be sensitive, in the name of feck.'

#itsthechildrenIcareabout #Turinisfull #Turinpeoplematter #rugbylivesmatter #someofmybestfriendsownabike

New EF jerseys for the Giro

GMmQ-9FXMAAB4ki
I like it. It looks like it might glow under black lights like in a club.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Spare a thought for the people of Turin who brace themselves tonight for an infestation of military aged men. Nearly all unmarried, they are completely UNVETTED and have taken up any available accommodation in the city. Reports are coming in of a tented shanty town in the outskirts.

Look, I am not Sportist at all but I simply wasn't consulted. Nobody minds a SMALL number of cyclists but most of these are not genuine cyclists, more akin to soccer players. Dozens are known to have red cards in other jurisdictions but they tear them up on the journey here.

Police say they are aware of the situation and have brought Larry and the fella' with the moustache out of retirement. Both were given batons and told 'Be sensitive, in the name of feck.'

#itsthechildrenIcareabout #Turinisfull #Turinpeoplematter #rugbylivesmatter #someofmybestfriendsownabike
So, we're all going to be replaced by cyclists?! Send in the SWAT team, & I bet they find lots of illicit drugs!:D

Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
Pogi will win from a reduced bunch sprint. Of course, Pogi could win solo but I don't think he will bother with a mountain stage tomorrow and no real need. I suspect it will be a group of about 20, Pogi will be the fastest from that and there is no real need for UAE to do anything else

It could get interesting though if certain riders try to get in the break, would love to see a big group up the road early to put UAE under pressure

Man..It's so low quality startlist wtf going to happen as UAE's got that meat grinder team. Well it's saved tv-time coming I guess, if Pogi is at pink before third week already, not going to watch shooting sitting ducks.

Only something dramatic saves this one, not hoping any crashes (then again todays first 40k already great potential for that). Deffo needs some bad timing mechanical at sidewind echelons to add some spice, well there's never any good windy days like that in Giro, no?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Man..It's so low quality startlist wtf going to happen as UAE's got that meat grinder team. Well it's saved tv-time coming I guess, if Pogi is at pink before third week already, not going to watch shooting sitting ducks.

Only something dramatic saves this one, not hoping any crashes (then again todays first 40k already great potential for that). Deffo needs some bad timing mechanical at sidewind echelons to add some spice, well there's never any good windy days like that in Giro, no?
The ideal scenario is some huge breakaway going up the road with loads of contenders on an early stage, even today would be good. UAE have a strong team but, except Pogi, it is very much their B team. Their A team is going to the Tour. Will be good to see them put under some pressure throughout the race!

The ideal scenario is some huge breakaway going up the road with loads of contenders on an early stage, even today would be good. UAE have a strong team but, except Pogi, it is very much their B team. Their A team is going to the Tour. Will be good to see them put under some pressure throughout the race!
Novak and Bjerg at normal or fresh form are already power of three men each, Felix G and Majka power of two man each compared to all other teams except big four top tier teams, to begin with.. :grin:

Reactions: SHAD0W93
UAE is full of strong roullers. No chance they will be stressed until stage 15. Laengen, Oliveira, Bjerg kill every single break when they want.

wat

Its difficult to imagine a plausible scenario where Pogačar doesn't win the stage. He should be able to drop at least most of the candidates and the few that could be able to hold his wheel should lose in the sprint.

Exceptions could be Alaphilippe, Martinez and Lutsenko but I actually expect Pogačar to solo away in the last climb though the gap shouldn't be big.