• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Venaria Reale - Torino, 140 km (Saturday, May 4)

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogacar very obviously did launch the sprint, but I think he eased off when he saw he wasnt beatong Narvaez
I don‘t think so, Narvaez wasn‘t gaining anymore in the last 50 meters and Pogi reeeaaally wants to dedicate a win to that Team Pogi kid who died. I also think Schachmann and Pogačar should have even gone from 300 meters because both like long sprints and should have used that.

I don‘t think so, Narvaez wasn‘t gaining anymore in the last 50 meters and Pogi reeeaaally wants to dedicate a win to that Team Pogi kid who died. I also think Schachmann and Pogačar should have even gone from 300 meters because both like long sprints and should have used that.
Pogacar wasnt fresh anymore. I think he did more work on the descent and before the sprint than we previously assumed

Do you know what "flub" means? Clearly not. Turns out even professional speakers make mistakes when ad libbing. Pog was also on the clock when he was racing today but he started his sprint early so I guess we have at least two examples where people aren't perfect at their job.
You don't have to be perfect in your job, but I do expect professionalism.

The problem is, maybe it was an innocent mis-speaking, but when you have a legion of extremely biased commentators and pundits who spin a blatant narrative, then when one of the less biased commentators and pundits mis-speaks in a way that furthers that same narrative, I'm not so inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Red Rick
You don't have to be perfect in your job, but I do expect professionalism.

The problem is, maybe it was an innocent mis-speaking, but when you have a legion of extremely biased commentators and pundits who spin a blatant narrative, then when one of the less biased commentators and pundits mis-speaks in a way that furthers that same narrative, I'm not so inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.
There wasn't mis-speaking to his commentary, Thomas, his team Ineos and one of his domestiques Narváez literally just won the first stage, beat UAE and Pogacar to the line for Pink and both were celebrating that on camera with each for everyone to see, including the commentators. This is pure cycling joy when the underdog wins, this is what excites Hatch too, only Libertine has issues with it, only you are commentating on it because you are looking at cycling through a strange filter hunting out issues/bias that are not there much of the time imo.

Well Thomas is the leader of Ineos at this race and most-definitely after Arensmen doing his usual 2min loss in first few stages, so it's his team just like UAE is Pogacars even if another rider would have won yesterday from UAE.
Not that Hatch would have known at the time, but in the post race interviews Thomas revealed the team had kept it out of the media that Narváez was really flying and going for pink. It sound to me like Thomas and his team did everything they hoped for so Hatch not wrong?

Well Thomas is the leader of Ineos at this race and most-definitely after Arensmen doing his usual 2min loss in first few stages, so it's his team just like UAE is Pogacars even if another rider would have won yesterday from UAE.
Not that Hatch would have known at the time, but in the post race interviews Thomas revealed the team had kept it out of the media that Narváez was really flying and going for pink. It sound to me like Thomas and his team did everything they hoped for so Hatch not wrong?
Ineos did everything they could have wanted out of the stage for the legs that the riders had, yes.

But Geraint Thomas did not win the stage. That part is patently false.

Proffate argues it is Hatch mis-speaking, in which case I said that it was unfortunate but because GCN/ES have so many super-biased homers on commentary like Blythe, Kirby and the rest of the peanut gallery that I'm viewing it uncharitably as a result.

You are arguing that he is in fact correct, that Geraint Thomas did indeed win the stage jointly with Narváez.

Ineos did everything they could have wanted out of the stage for the legs that the riders had, yes.

But Geraint Thomas did not win the stage. That part is patently false.

Proffate argues it is Hatch mis-speaking, in which case I said that it was unfortunate but because GCN/ES have so many super-biased homers on commentary like Blythe, Kirby and the rest of the peanut gallery that I'm viewing it uncharitably as a result.

You are arguing that he is in fact correct, that Geraint Thomas did indeed win the stage jointly with Narváez.
This is just ridiculous twisting of context from yourself to match your own bias/hate imo. Hatch never said Thomas won the stage. He said Narváez won the stage 'twice' after crossing the line and never mentioned Thomas at all. When he was hugging Thomas in celebration he said "Narváez and Thomas have done it". This is true they won the stage, they are in pink, they beat UAE and Pogacar.

This is just ridiculous twisting of context from yourself to match your own bias/hate imo. Hatch never said Thomas won the stage. He said Narváez won the stage 'twice' after crossing the line and never mentioned Thomas at all. When he was hugging Thomas in celebration he said "Narváez and Thomas have done it". This is true they won the stage, they are in pink, they beat UAE and Pogacar.
So commentators usually go around screaming in hyperbolic celebration about the achievements of a rider coming 10th?

What did Thomas do that was worth celebrating that he's "done it"? He didn't win the stage. He didn't gain significant time on rivals. He didn't play a contributory role in Narváez' stage win. He had a decent but unspectacular day at the office.

I know you take every criticism of a British rider as a personal affront, but there's no need to extend that to the commentators. As I said, I wasn't even slating Thomas there, because he got everything reasonable that he could out of the day - but not anything worth celebrating for himself.

Reactions: Red Rick