• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 La Flèche Wallonne Femmes (not in LA), April 17

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win FW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
She's actually done quite well considering how new she is to road and that she rides a ton of CX races unlike Shirin and Puck who rode very short CX programs. Fem even raced more CX races after winning Worlds. She did pick up a win last year, had several top 10s, and was 11th in the Giro.

To be fair, Shirin got injured, and Puck did a full MTB campaign beforehand.

Reactions: jaylew and Didinho
To be fair, Shirin got injured, and Puck did a full MTB campaign beforehand.
True enough but Shirin is a FAR more experienced road rider and was never going to ride a big cross program anyway and the MTB season ends way before the CX season so Fem has to take a break before her road season. I think just like last year, she'll get better as the season progresses. I do expect her to be a big player at some point. 8th today is not bad at all.

Have you ever seen an explanation of why her CX dominance doesn't translate into results on the road? Maybe it is just my expectations, but I expected to see her in the top 5 regularly.
Van Empel has very little experience. Like, really very little. She only took up cycling seriously just 4 years ago. Pieterse and Van Anrooij are way ahead of her in that regard. As for this spring, I think it's been ruined by two bouts of illness in succession which took away quite a bit of her fitness. Her form is okay but nothing special.

Reactions: Winnen and Didinho
True enough but Shirin is a FAR more experienced road rider and was never going to ride a big cross program anyway and the MTB season ends way before the CX season so Fem has to take a break before her road season. I think just like last year, she'll get better as the season progresses. I do expect her to be a big player at some point. 8th today is not bad at all.

And Shirin's injury might also have been a blessing in disguise since she was struggling in the CX races she did do.

Van Empel has very little experience. Like, really very little. She only took up cycling seriously just 4 years ago. Pieterse and Van Anrooij are way ahead of her in that regard. As for this spring, I think it's been ruined by two bouts of illness in succession which took away quite a bit of her fitness. Her form is okay but nothing special.

And Vos is obviously also going to be the leader in the races she's in, so that's also costing Van Empel result wise.

Reactions: jaylew
crying-tears.gif

This is all of us right?