• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2024 La Flèche Wallonne Femmes (not in LA), April 17

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win FW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apart from the KoM in last year's Tour this is Niewiadoma's first win in five years. After all those second, third and fourth places she deserves it. I was beginning to call her "the woman who's always strong but who never wins." Today she finally got rid of that epitheton!

A next step would be if the commentators finally learned how to pronounce her name: "Nyè-vya-do-ma".

Apart from the KoM in last year's Tour this is Niewiadoma's first win in five years. After all those second, third and fourth places she deserves it. I was beginning to call her "the woman who's always strong but who never wins." Today she finally got rid of that epitheton!

A next step would be if the commentators finally learned how to pronounce her name: "Nyè-vya-do-ma".

Polish names are not easy! I can tell you that "niewiadoma" in Polish means "unknown" or "uncertain". Niewiadoma's form is not niewiadoma though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pantani_lives
Rooijakkers getting 6th is pretty crazy.
Rooijakkers is a genuinely brilliant climber and would have a far better palmarès if she could, you know, do anything else. However she's kind of the women's péloton's answer to David Moncoutié in terms of her skillset if not her character; she sits on the back of the bunch, hates fighting for placement in the bunch, so if she has good legs she will usually be spending energy attacking (especially in the climbs) and if she doesn't she'll usually be one of the first decent level names to drop time, and as a result even when she's had good results in mountain stages she's often not had the GC results out of it because of losing time elsewhere where a more protected rider would not be expected to.
I just think it was Vollering's tactic to pace the whole climb to make it hard, otherwise I can't see why Kopecky didn't pull the first 200-300m.
It was more a bit of fun about how last year Kopecky and Vollering went together like toothpaste and orange juice, so Kopecky saying she was going into this race (where Vollering was the obvious leader and defending champion) as a domestique and then not riding on the front at the most visible part of the race was kind of as I expected especially after her Tour show. And after Amstel Gold's shenanigans where they successfully had both Kopecky AND Vollering work for Wiebes only for Lorena to drop the ball so spectacularly at the line, maybe they're wondering if just going full chaos mode like last year might be the better strategy going forward.

Rooijakkers is a genuinely brilliant climber and would have a far better palmarès if she could, you know, do anything else. However she's kind of the women's péloton's answer to David Moncoutié in terms of her skillset if not her character; she sits on the back of the bunch, hates fighting for placement in the bunch, so if she has good legs she will usually be spending energy attacking (especially in the climbs) and if she doesn't she'll usually be one of the first decent level names to drop time, and as a result even when she's had good results in mountain stages she's often not had the GC results out of it because of losing time elsewhere where a more protected rider would not be expected to.

I am not underrating her climbing ability, but after she continued to push on in a doomed break (although that made sure she wasn't dropped in a descent), I just didn't expect her to be able to hang on on the Mur, where she wasn't even in a good position at the bottom.

Reactions: Andy262