• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

22 Tests

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I went to the USADA site having never been there before and low and behold, you can actually look up any athlete’s testing data by year. So I looked up LA and from 2001-2010 he was tested a whopping 22 times in total. I then looked up so some of the other Postal boys and here are their numbers: GH = 38; DZ = 31; CV = 28; TH = 21. Kristin Armstrong, BTW, has been tested 66 times in that time span!

Let’s assume that the other entities (UCI, WADA, TDF) have done similar amounts of testing and then just for fun and to be good sports about it we double that number, so we have 22 x 3 x 2 = 132 tests. This is a long way from 300 tests and even further away for 500 tests. So much for the BS spin by the scum-balls at PS about the most tested athlete in history. Perhaps one of the other members of The Clinic can mine the rest of the data – if it is available – from the other bodies so we can but to rest once and for all this nonsense about who much LA has been tested.

Source:
http://www.usada.org/what-we-do/testing-statistics/athlete-test-history.aspx

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I imagine the UCI does more tests than the USADA does, especially since Armstrong used to spend months each year training in Italy, Spain or France. I read a long interview about Mark Cavendish last year (when I still respected him) and he had been tested 60 or 65 times the previous year. Of course, he would have been tested after wins. When I read that, I questioned the "most tested" because LA has a history of making claims that don't stand up to scrutiny.

Excellent reporting.

A question-this is the testing data from USADA.

How many more entities had the authority to test him on a regular basis?

Was it just the other three you mentioned (UCI, WADA, TDF), or were there more?

Do the various races he participated in test him independently of these agencies?

Important to note that all of those 22 were on US soil. He was never ever tested in Girona between races by any organisation. In fact he'd inform the USADA on when he was coming back to the US in a given year and they would test. Waste of time.

A

Anonymous

Someone else posted this elsewhere ( I cannot remember who - apologies ) but I saved it because I thought it was interesting

<<

This is Lances testing history from 1999 to 2004, as published in L'Equipe in 2005 - these numbers are the total number for each year, not just the TdF.

1999: 15 urine tests
2000: 12 urine tests
2001: 10 urine tests
2002: 9 urine tests
2003: 9 urine tests including the search for HES,
2004: 8 urine tests and 1 blood test for the detection of hemoglobin synthesis.

UCI controls from 1999 to 2004 in total = 63. or 10.5 per year.

>>

So, 1999 to 2004 - 63 UCI tests.

Plus 22 USADA tests.

Think how many tests people that participate all year long are and were getting.

People like ( as mentioned ) Cavendish, or McEwen or Boonen.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
Excellent reporting.

A question-this is the testing data from USADA.

How many more entities had the authority to test him on a regular basis?

Was it just the other three you mentioned (UCI, WADA, TDF), or were there more?

Do the various races he participated in test him independently of these agencies?

Correct, those are the USDA numbers only; see the USADA link in my first post above. I checked on the swimmer Phelps, and he came in at 101 times in that span of time.

Frankly, those are the only three that come to my mind, but there could be others I guess?

But again, it shows just how much spin we get from his camp of pimips that he pays dearly for their services.

From another great movie . . . "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend"

Myra-you beat me to it. I was just about to post the same data.

So the total number of tests between 1999 and 2004 comes to a grand total of 85 tests, 63from the UCI and 22 from USADA.

And, if I'm not misreading the data, Micheal Phelps was tested during the same time frame 101 times by USADA ALONE.

Another thing must be added to the mix-the overwhelming majority of the tests undergone by Armstrong were urine tests. Those are much easier to pass than blood tests, and it also depends on what the labs were able to test for at the time.

Urine tests are much easier to beat than blood tests, I would conjecture. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
He was never tested in my presence, nor did I hear of him being tested at any point in my two years with him. There was a missed test for sure, which occurred in Austin.
Two years.
Never in Girona while pre-season prep with Ferrari was underway.
-1 in the USA.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
TexPat said:
He was never tested in my presence, nor did I hear of him being tested at any point in my two years with him. There was a missed test for sure, which occurred in Austin.
Two years.
Never in Girona while pre-season prep with Ferrari was underway.
-1 in the USA.

Was about to post about the Austin test. I heard there was lots of running around that day!

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
whuhuhuhuuuu

Again, dear analysts:
Great maths, great logics, great facts - and some great summaries and statistics on top.
Great info in here, yes. Tells more about the posters than about the number of LA's drugtests.

82 days in Yellow - 82 days of pure glory

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
-myra- said:
Someone else posted this elsewhere ( I cannot remember who - apologies ) but I saved it because I thought it was interesting

<<

This is Lances testing history from 1999 to 2004, as published in L'Equipe in 2005 - these numbers are the total number for each year, not just the TdF.

1999: 15 urine tests
2000: 12 urine tests
2001: 10 urine tests
2002: 9 urine tests
2003: 9 urine tests including the search for HES,
2004: 8 urine tests and 1 blood test for the detection of hemoglobin synthesis.

UCI controls from 1999 to 2004 in total = 63. or 10.5 per year.

>>

So, 1999 to 2004 - 63 UCI tests.

Plus 22 USADA tests.

Think how many tests people that participate all year long are and were getting.

People like ( as mentioned ) Cavendish, or McEwen or Boonen.

What's that? :confused:

Lance must have been blood tested every year at the TdF. How else was the 50% limit enforced?

A

Anonymous

this is all lies and slander. everybody knows lance is the worlds most tested athlete, its on wikipedia

Tyler'sTwin said:

Lance must have been blood tested every year at the TdF. How else was the 50% limit enforced?

The health blood test is only conducted at the start of the Tour on all starters then maybe at random during the event. Its not a drug test. Its doesn't test for any drugs. Just hemocrit - does what it does on the tin - Its a health test. Not a drug test.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:

They smash every single cyclist's face very hard and then watch the white/red ratio of the skin.
What else ?
There is no way that Lance's blood was ever tested anywhere and anytime in his career.
Lance is of course the least tested athlete ever. ;):D
Only takes 1-2 undisturbed days of posting, till the haters figure that out with their knowledge and logics - and then the thread can sink into the archive with the right ending.

Now out of here again. Didn't want to disturb. :D

Its about 300USD for each test per UCI/EY audit reports. The UCI is not a rich organization so Lance bought them a blood machine so he could conduct tests upon himself on behalf of the UCI. Good guy.

Perhaps he should have worn a jersey emblazoned with 22 rather than 28 on the last stage of the Tour?

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Paddy Mc?

That could explain things.

The question is, what was the going rate for uci bribes from '99 to 2005? And was Floyd somehow unaware of this in 2006 or did he think he didn't have to pay 'baksheesh' to the man? Or was the going rate so high that only Lance had pockets deep enough with all that legend/2nd coming of the Messiah income?

skidmark said:
okay, so that's not many tests. but as far as the TdF goes, wouldn't he have been tested after every stage he won? I think that's the way it works. That means either very few tests outside of the stages that he won, or just infrequent testing.

Well, the stage wins only add an additional 22 tests...

skidmark said:
okay, so that's not many tests. but as far as the TdF goes, wouldn't he have been tested after every stage he won? I think that's the way it works. That means either very few tests outside of the stages that he won, or just infrequent testing.

The tests aren't always administered the way we think.

Case in point-when Roberto Heras got busted at the Vuelta, he made a big deal about testing positive so near the end of the race, when he had the victory already in the bag.

Part of his defense was how he had been tested as race leader a few times before and nothing ever came up. So why would he dope so close to the end of the race when he was assured of the overall victory?

We later find out that (and please remember the Vuelta is one of the three grand tours on the racing calendar) that none of the previous samples were ever tested. They were just collected. When those previous samples were tested after the first positive, they also came up for EPO. He had been riding dirty the whole time.

The excuse why the previous samples were never tested boiled down to the costs of each individual test. Meanwhile, Heras was riding those days thinking he had passed those tests and was basically home free.

The moral of this story? There is a big difference between what we are told and what actually occurs.

TRENDING THREADS