• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

26th & 27th March - Criterium International

A

Anonymous

Stage 1
Saturday 26 March
Porto-VecchioCol de l’Ospedale 198 km

Route Map (Link)

critintlst1pro.gif

Stage 2
Sunday 27 March
Porto-VecchioPorto-Vecchio 75 km

Route Map (Link)

critintlst2pro.gif

Stage 3
Sunday 27 March
Porto-VecchioPorto-Vecchio 7 km Time Trial

Route Map (Link)

critintlst3pro.gif

Startlist

Weather

Last Ten Winners:

2010 Pierrick FEDRIGO
2009 Jens VOIGT
2008 Jens VOIGT
2007 Jens VOIGT
2006 Ivan BASSO
2005 Bobby JULICH
2004 Jens VOIGT
2003 Laurent BROCHARD
2002 José MARTINEZ
2001 Rik VERBRUGGHE
2000 Abraham OLANO

Last Year:

1 Pierrick FEDRIGO BTL 7h 11' 59"
2 Michael ROGERS THR at 00' 14"
3 Tiago MACHADO RSH at 00' 15"
4 Samuel SANCHEZ EUS at 00' 19"
5 David MILLAR GRM at 00' 19"
6 Cadel EVANS BMC at 00' 22"
7 Christopher HORNER RSH at 00' 25"
8 Maxime MONFORT THR at 00' 26"
9 Ben HERMANS RSH at 00' 35"
10 Benat INTXAUSTI EUS at 00' 39"

Coverage:
There is a roundup program on eurosport on sunday afternoon.
Live coverage on the internet 1600cet saturday, and 1515 cet sunday. (FR3)

Time Bonuses:

3", 2" and 1" will be awarded to the first 3 riders in intermediate sprints in the 2 stages.

10'', 6'' and 4'' will be awarded to the first 3 riders at the finish line of the 1st stage and 6’’, 4’’ and 2’’ will be awarded to the first 3 riders at the finish line of the 2nd stage.

Sprint Points:

Points for each of the intermediate sprints will be awarded as follows:
3 – 2 and 1 point (s) to the first 3 riders.

At the finish of the 1st stage, 2nd stage and 3rd stage: 15 - 12 - 10 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 points to the first 10 riders.

Mountain Points:

The following points are awarded for each of the 8 climbs:
to the 1st rider: 6 pts
to the 2nd rider: 4 pts
to the 3rd rider: 2 pts

A

Anonymous

Sky going in with a pretty strong team, and both Wiggins and Dowsett can time trial a bit and should challenge for the overall.

Fugslang for leopard may be there or thereabouts, Vino has a run out for astana, and I will be keeping an eye on how Ben King does for RS.

A

Anonymous

Its a nice parcours, sprint stage, summit finish and very short tt. The time bonus's make it interesting as well.

I dont mind tt's in races like this, you need to be a genuine all rounder to win, its stage races like paris nice where the tt unduly effected the overall that I object to.

A

Anonymous

jaylew said:
Ah, the Voigt International!
Dim, you should have listed past results from 11 years so it also included his 1st win here in '99.

:p

My preview was thorough enough thank you ;)

A

Anonymous

jaylew said:
Yes, quite thorough.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the 1st stage is toughened up from years past.

PROFIL.gif

PROFIL.gif

an extra catogorised climb in the second half of the stage and climbs are between 200-300 metres higher. definately tougher. Interesting Col de Bacinu has grown 10 metres, but L'ospedale has shrunk so it all evens out. Damn global warming.

Stage 1 last year

1. FEDRIGO Pierrick 94 BBOX BOUYGUES TELECOM 5h 19' 35"
2. MACHADO Tiago 25 TEAM RADIOSHACK 5h 19' 50" + 00' 15"
3. SANCHEZ Samuel 111 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI 5h 19' 56" + 00' 21"
4. EVANS Cadel 51 BMC RACING TEAM 5h 20' 00" + 00' 25"
5. MONCOUTIE David 61 COFIDIS LE CREDIT EN LIGNE 5h 20' 00" + 00' 25"
6. CARRARA Matteo 152 VACANSOLEIL PRO CYCLING TEAM 5h 20' 00" + 00' 25"
7. ROGERS Michael 7 TEAM HTC - COLUMBIA 5h 20' 00" + 00' 25"
8. HORNER Christopher 24 TEAM RADIOSHACK 5h 20' 00" + 00' 25"
9. HERMANS Ben 23 TEAM RADIOSHACK 5h 20' 00" + 00' 25"
10. LOPEZ GARCIA David 105 CAISSE D’EPARGNE 5h 20' 00" + 00' 25"
11. MONFORT Maxime 5 TEAM HTC - COLUMBIA 5h 20' 04" + 00' 29"
12. INTXAUSTI Benat 113 EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI 5h 20' 04" + 00' 29"
13. MARTIN Daniel 45 GARMIN - TRANSITIONS 5h 20' 09" + 00' 34"

Hopefully there will be less headwind then there was last year, because it kinda killed the excitement with no one daring to attack.

As for the overall, I think Samuel Sanchez will get it. Bradley Wiggins will get pushed up the mountains by Lars Petter Nordhaug but won't be able to limit his losses enough, and will eventually end up 2. overall after winning the time trial.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I think the ITT is too short to do much to the GC. If someone can win the first stage with a decent gap over second place then the 10 second bonification will give them plenty of cushion.

Here's the profile of the climb:

PROFILKMS.gif

Not super steep but probably too much for Wiggo.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Sky going in with a pretty strong team, and both Wiggins and Dowsett can time trial a bit and should challenge for the overall.

Fugslang for leopard may be there or thereabouts, Vino has a run out for astana, and I will be keeping an eye on how Ben King does for RS.

No way will Dowsett be up there on stage 1 but Wiggins has a good shot at the overall.

A

Anonymous

will10 said:
No way will Dowsett be up there on stage 1 but Wiggins has a good shot at the overall.

I punctuated it badly, I meant Sky have a good shot at the overall and Wiggins and Dowsett can time trial a bit. Obviously Alex will get dropped like a cheap date on the climbs.

Also the ever-so-famous Tour Of Denmark (PostDanmark Rundt) have a two stage day....

I'll pick Vino for the overall, Wiggo, Machado, Peraud, Samu, Kiryienka, Taaramäe, Coppel and perhaps Pardilla fits the mold of a good CritVoigt rider.

Voigt himself? Would absolutely love it, but can't see it happen.

A

Anonymous

Captain_Cavman said:
Are there any other races in the current calendar that have two stages in one day?

3 days of de panne next week.

Christian said:
Now you're just making stuff up :p

Emakumeen Bira is the women's version of what used to be the Euskal Bizikleta. "Emakumeen Bira" literally means "women's race".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_gLbYFa-L8

Szlakiem Grodów Piastowskich is a 2.1 rated race in Poland (Silesia if my memory serves me correctly). It usually presents a moderately hilly parcours, attacking racing, and was won in 2010 by Marek Rutkiewicz, I think. He definitely won one of the Polish 2.1 races, either this one or the Course de Solidarność.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klGPhU5ls1Q