• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

3 days to go; Teams with no Stage Wins

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bissegger doesn't seem to have the legs. He was by far the weakest rider from the breakaway on stage 12 with a profile that should've suited him very well. Then he crashed and I saw him as one of the first riders to struggle at the back on stage 18 on those little hills at the beginning of the stage.

It did happen in the past that riders with seemingly no form whatsoever rode a good TT but expecting Bissegger to win is a stretch considering what I wrote above. But 2nd half GT ITTs do sometimes produce weird results. Who would've expected William Barta to come 1 second short of winning the ITT during the Vuelta last year? We may see some surprises although I doubt it'll be Bissegger.

Reactions: Sandisfan
With Cav/Tadej/Bahrain gobbling up everyhing so far, the following (15, by my count) teams have no stage wins to this point. I'm including their (IMO) best chance of breaking that duck with the 3 days left. Who, if any, will bag their win in the final 3 days?

TeamRider with best chanceWhich stageHow
IneosG or CastroTTTT
ISNGreipel or ZabelLibourneSneak into the break, and everyone forgets they can sprint
MovistarCortina or ErvitiLibourneBreak
FDJKungTTTT
CofidisSomebody, anybodyLibourneBreak
EFValgren/CortLibourneFrom the break
Arkea SamsicSwiftLibourneBreak
DSMPedersenLibourneProbably from the break, but possibly a late attack.
LottoDe Gendt/van MoerLibourneLong-range attack and Quickstep drop the ball
BEXMezgecChamps ElyseesEveryone (including QS) assumes he's leading out Matthews, but he sneaks off the front
AstanaLutsenkoTTTT
Qhubeka-NexthashWalscheidChamps ElyseesManages to pull off a big sprint
Team TotalEnergiesSee Cofidis
Intermarche-Wanty Groupe GobertBakelantsLibourneFrom the break; everyone else looks at each other to chase.
B&B HotelsBonnamourLibourneFrom the break.

Looks like a bunch of people at least tried to get the memo today. My boldings!

Otoh, Walscheid completely misunderstood the concept, while Arkea and Intermarché both got the wrong man in the break...

Even without a stage win or jersey, I'm fairly sure everyone knows Movistar showed up this year. LOL. Oh and they weren't racing against themselves either. I'm actually impressed Erviti got a second place on a stage. Would have loved to have seen him win a stage, but for him to get a second place is an accomplishment.

And Valverde found another obscure record to break so that he's now the oldest rider to ever finish first or second on a stage at the Tour.

So no stage win or jersey, but an obscure record and a nice finish for a rider who is almost always in the service of his teammates.

That's a massive fail for Ineos, to pick up next to nothing. Such a shame the likes of Kwiato and Van Baarle don't get more chances to ride for breaks.

I think Laporte should have done more to react to Mohorič on Friday. He stood a 50/50 chance or better in a sprint with Teunissen. And Mohorič was too good a rider to let go. Poor tactics. When a win for Cofidis would be massive. Sometimes you have to risk losing to win. That was a collective brainfart from the break.

I think people are way too harsh about stage 19. Mohoric was always going to win this. He was simply the strongest as demonstrated by the fact that when the group behind him started to co-operate well, they couldn't take any time back on him. He was also not the first one to attack, there were attacks prior to his move and the group was already splintering meaning a lot of riders were on the limit and unable to react and you can't accuse the others of not trying to get away themselves because they did. You just can't counter every attack from a group of 20 by yourself, you'll blow up. And if a rider stronger than you gets a few meters gap, you'll never bring him back.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think people are way too harsh about stage 19. Mohoric was always going to win this. He was simply the strongest as demonstrated by the fact that when the group behind him started to co-operate well, they couldn't take any time back on him. He was also not the first one to attack, there were attacks prior to his move and the group was already splintering meaning a lot of riders were on the limit and unable to react and you can't accuse the others of not trying to get away themselves because they did. You just can't counter every attack from a group of 20 by yourself, you'll blow up. And if a rider stronger than you gets a few meters gap, you'll never bring him back.
Trek had 2 riders in the break. Teuns didn't need to catch Mohoric, just keep him within bridging distance (20s or so). Once his lead was out to 30s, everybody else was racing for 2nd.

The thing is, Mohoric was a rider that somebody in the break ought to have been watching, in a "as soon as he goes, I need to be on him" way. It looks like the cameras didn't pick up his actual attack, but he seemed to just roll off the front. Laporte tried to catch him, and was the last to give up the chase, but that was never going to happen.

TRENDING THREADS