• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

32nd Vuelta a Burgos: Cat 2HC - August 4-10th

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@ryo: if it was u23 classification Kruijswijk would have won as well, he's 22yo...

5th stage

1. [ESP] SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 3h59'39" 25
2. [ESP] MOSQUERA MIGUEZ Ezequiel XAC 01" 15
3. [ITA] NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 16" 10
4. [ESP] ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor EUS 24" 5
5. [ITA] POSSONI Morris SKY 28" 3
6. [NED] KRUIJSWIJK Steven RAB 53" 0
7. [SUI] ZAUGG Oliver LIQ 53" 0
8. [ESP] GUTIERREZ PALACIOS Jose Ivan GCE 56" 0
9. [ITA] SCARPONI Michele AND 01'07" 0
10. [ITA] CARUSO Giampaolo KAT 01'07" 0
11. [NED] TEN DAM Laurens RAB 01'07" 0
12. [ESP] ARROYO DURAN David GCE 01'36" 0
13. [CRO] KISERLOVSKI Robert LIQ 01'36" 0

GC

1. [ESP] SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel EUS 16h15'38" 160
2. [ESP] MOSQUERA MIGUEZ Ezequiel XAC 01" 120
3. [ITA] NIBALI Vincenzo LIQ 21" 98
4. [SUI] ZAUGG Oliver LIQ 37" 88
5. [ITA] POSSONI Morris SKY 41" 80
6. [ESP] GUTIERREZ PALACIOS Jose Ivan GCE 45" 72
7. [ITA] CARUSO Giampaolo KAT 46" 64
8. [NED] KRUIJSWIJK Steven RAB 56" 56
9. [ESP] ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor EUS 57" 48
10. [NED] TEN DAM Laurens RAB 01'10" 40

May 8, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
And are the local authorities willing to pay for a Vuelta stage finish? Or is there even space to have a finish?

In many there is space and good conditions at the top, I believe the problem is that they are situated in low populated areas. So I agree there is no money/interest for a mountain finish there.

Probably in the next years Ancares will be finally included. It can be climbed from 3 different roads, and offer 6 different variants:

Variants Length Avg. grade Max grade.
PAN DO ZARCO 12Km. 9,25% 20%
Pan do Zarco con Robledo 14,9Km. 7,69% 20%
BALOUTA 17,2Km. 6,5% 15%
Balouta con Robledo 20Km. 5,85% 15%
PIORNEDO 23,6Km. 4,58% 15%
TEJEDO 8,05Km. 8,82% 17%

It has been climbed in Vuelta a Leon, and up there there is a big space for a finish. Probably this is off-topic anyway :)

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Doesn't really matter though, he's still eligible for the U23 competition.

The Rabo website doesn't mention this at all in their official report. They do mention that unfortunately, Pieter Weening crashed and broke his collarbone.

theyoungest said:
Hidden between the Gesink and Mollema hype, it appears we have another gem coming up. Kruijswijk puts the Carusos, Kiserlovskis, and Sicards in their place.

+1

A good result from the neo-pro once again.... Here's hoping he does enough to convince Breukink & co. to give him a Tour spot next year (although more likely it will go to the expensive new foreigners that Rabo has contracted).

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Weening would ride the Vuelta normally.

Who will replace him then? They are not going to send any TDF guys except menchov

Hmmm... No Martens, no Weening. Menchov's Vuelta ambitions are taking a hit (team wise) before the riders have even arrived in Sevilla.

Don't know who they'll replace those two with, since I can only speculate what their prospective line-up was.

I guess now it'll be Menchov, Freire, Garate, Ardilla, Ten Dam, Langeveld, Posthuma, Nuyens and ninth spot could go to any random.... Maybe Leezer, he hasn't done a GT yet this year. Or perhaps Clement if he's feeling up to it, which I doubt.

Moondance said:
Hmmm... No Martens, no Weening. Menchov's Vuelta ambitions are taking a hit (team wise) before the riders have even arrived in Sevilla.

Don't know who they'll replace those two with, since I can only speculate what they prospective line-up was.

I guess now it'll be Menchov, Freire, Garate, Ardilla, Ten Dam, Langeveld, Posthuma, Nuyens and ninth spot could go to any random.... Maybe Leezer, he hasn't done a GT yet this year. Or perhaps Clement if he's feeling up to it, which I doubt.
Clement hasn't touched a bike for a few months now, so that'd be nothing short of a miracle ;)

Maybe Van Emden? I guess he'll be sent to the Worlds TT, so why not properly prepare for it.

theyoungest said:
Clement hasn't touched a bike for a few months now, so that'd be nothing short of a miracle ;)

Maybe Van Emden? I guess he'll be sent to the Worlds TT, so why not properly prepare for it.

Well that's why I said I doubt.

Van Emden doesn't seem like the type to do 2 GTs in a year... And his form hasn't been particularly inspiring since June. Maybe he does a good ENECO Tour and they'll select him, maybe...

Also, Koos and Tjallingii should do the Words TT IMO.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Hidden between the Gesink and Mollema hype, it appears we have another gem coming up. Kruijswijk puts the Carusos, Kiserlovskis, and Sicards in their place.

Wasn't Sicard riding for Sanchez, having to respond to attacks? One that I was able to view, coming from a Caisse d'Epargne rider on the final climb. Great ride from Kruijswijk and Kiserlovskis along with Sicard who was instrumental in helping Sanchez win the stage and the overall. Was Ten Dam the Rabobank team captain?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Final stage is up on cycling torrents BTW. It's in Spanish though, but for those who don't speak the language then I'm sure you can figure out what is going on.

Mellow Velo said:
I managed to catch all the final climb and have to say I thought it was great, too.
SS still has the form to do a fine Vuelta, so I hope he takes the plunge.
Nibali not far off.
Ride of the day? Mo Possini, possibly.
Sky is happy:
When asked about the biggest plus points for Team Sky from the race as a whole, Sutton had no hesitation: "Morris' display first and foremost. It just goes to show he's settling in well with the team and the way the team thinks. He's really buying into that and is starting to blossom now in the big cols.

"I think that's the biggest thing to take from this week because we have been a little short of good climbers and he's really starting to show his worth."

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
+1

A good result from the neo-pro once again.... Here's hoping he does enough to convince Breukink & co. to give him a Tour spot next year (although more likely it will go to the expensive new foreigners that Rabo has contracted).

yeh what a talent he is proving to be. Great first season in the pro ranks.

As for tour, I agree he is good enough (Gesink potentially has epic support -providing some of the rumored transfers go through - Mollema, LTD, Garate, Barredo, LLS..), but I don't wanna see all the dutch talented youth waste their GT aspirations at the tour. Rather see him ride the giro again.